Cool Unitas quote...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I found this in Paul Zimmerman's classic book "Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football".

Johnny Unitas once said, "A quarterback doesn't come into his own until he can tell the coach to go to hell."

Dr. Z then goes on to say...

"Staubach was always looking to stretch the play that had been called; he was always looking downfield. In the huddle he'd tell Drew Pearson or Tony Hill to take the pattern five or ten yards deeper. He was always greedy, hungry. Danny White does as he's told."

"The players know it, any spark of originality seems to light people up."

So I just ask the question, does Bradford have any of that in him? And does he need to.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You mean like when Troy Smith told Singletary to go to hell? lol. That worked out magnificently for both parties. Don't get me wrong - I like the old school mentality, but that shit doesn't fly anymore. Brady doesn't tell Belichick to go to hell, nor does Manning or Rodgers, or anyone else I've seen (that's worth their salt).

I do hope Bradford gets to the point that he can poo-poo calls from the OC if he sees something on the field that's more advantageous to him. That will probably come with about a decade in the same system like the other QBs you're mentioning had at the time of their renegade ways.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
You mean like when Troy Smith told Singletary to go to hell? lol. That worked out magnificently for both parties. Don't get me wrong - I like the old school mentality, but that shyte doesn't fly anymore. Brady doesn't tell Belichick to go to hell, nor does Manning or Rodgers, or anyone else I've seen (that's worth their salt).

I do hope Bradford gets to the point that he can poo-poo calls from the OC if he sees something on the field that's more advantageous to him. That will probably come with about a decade in the same system like the other QBs you're mentioning had at the time of their renegade ways.

There is something between yelling at your coach on the sidelines and blindly doing everything according to the book.

What Dr Z was saying is that some QBs are greedier than others, some want to push the envelop just a bit more. That's what I'm looking for.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
X said:
You mean like when Troy Smith told Singletary to go to hell? lol. That worked out magnificently for both parties. Don't get me wrong - I like the old school mentality, but that shyte doesn't fly anymore. Brady doesn't tell Belichick to go to hell, nor does Manning or Rodgers, or anyone else I've seen (that's worth their salt).

There is something between yelling at your coach on the sidelines and blindly doing everything according to the book.

What Dr Z was saying is that some QBs are greedier than others, some want to push the envelop just a bit more. That's what I'm looking for.
Yeah, I don't know. I think Bradford gets greedy when he's got the time to let those plays develop. If you want him to just turn into a gun-slinger like Favre, that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. Bradford is more surgical and methodical. Right now he's ranked 10th in the NFL in terms of the percentage of his yards that come before the catch. That's not indicative of a guy who plays it overly safe, IMO.

iced

X said:
max said:
X said:

Yeah, I don't know. I think Bradford gets greedy when he's got the time to let those plays develop. If you want him to just turn into a gun-slinger like Favre, that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. Bradford is more surgical and methodical. Right now he's ranked 10th in the NFL in terms of the percentage of his yards that come before the catch. That's not indicative of a guy who plays it overly safe, IMO.

That can go either way....if he's making short dump passes and the guys are getting YAC from either a missed tackle or if its thrown short of the sticks on 3rd and forever, etc.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
X said:
max said:
X said:

That can go either way....if he's making short dump passes and the guys are getting YAC from either a missed tackle or if its thrown short of the sticks on 3rd and forever, etc.
Actually, that's what YIA% separates out of the equation. It's the percentage of his passing yards *in the air*.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
iced said:
X said:
max said:
X said:

He mentioned that it was yards before catch so dump passes with yac wouldn't count

iced

Rabid Ram said:
iced said:
X said:
max said:
X said:

He mentioned that it was yards before catch so dump passes with yac wouldn't count

ahh gotcha.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I doubt McNair said that to El Jeffe I think part of Der Fishermans ethos is mutual respect fro the fit go , so it never needs to go there,dunno JMO

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Thordaddy said:
I doubt McNair said that to El Jeffe I think part of Der Fishermans ethos is mutual respect fro the fit go , so it never needs to go there,dunno JMO

You don't say it to the coach. You just do it on the field.

Never ask for permission. Don't tell them you are going to defy them. You stretch the play on the field and worry about asking for forgiveness later if it doesn't work.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think once Bradford masters the offense he will certainly challenge Schotty.

Right now Schotty is the teacher and Bradford the student. If they stay together long enough they become quasi peers in an understanding of the offense. 2 brains are better than one!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
CGI_Ram said:
I think once Bradford masters the offense he will certainly challenge Schotty.

Right now Schotty is the teacher and Bradford the student. If they stay together long enough they become quasi peers in an understanding of the offense. 2 brains are better than one!

When and if that happens then we've got ourselves a quarterback.