Cool TA stat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Just read this on a blog and I didn't know this.

Per Adam Caplan:

"Tavon Austin is the 1st player in NFL history with a 95-plus yard PR TD, 80-plus yard reception TD, and 65-plus yard rushing TD in a season."

We're starting to see everything we thought we would. This kid is special in space. Can't wait to see him get better and better. When we get this offense really going it could be crazy good.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't know that he's getting better and better as much as just being used sensibly. It took Schotty a while to figure out that he needed open space to explode.

They didn't get him the ball in open space by design until the Colts game. Every play since the first that was designed specifically to get him the ball in open space has resulted in a long TD.

Of course, it's not just design but also execution. Kendricks, Givens, and Pettis all deserve credit for his 65 yard TD run. Thier blocking was outstanding.

Tavon had TWO receptions and ONE run in the Bears game and TWO receptions and ZERO runs in the Colts game. With so little opportunity, he was the most important player in the Colts game and a very important one in the Bears game.

I can't help but wonder why you score with TA on the third play of the game and then never use him in the run game, against a horrible run defense, again. Not when the Bears closed within a score. Not when Stacy went out. Just seems like a waste of talent to me.

Disclaimer - I'm not saying Schotty isn't currently scheming a winning game, just the lack of opportunity for Tavon by design makes no sense to me.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, when you go from having Amendola and Gibson as you're main optoins to Givens, Austin, Cook, Quick, Pettis, Bailey, Stacy and Cunnigham it's hard to get everyone the ball.
For once a great problem to have. But yeah, strange that we don't target TA a little more. I mean look at what he's done that last two weeks alone.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I also like how he tied Gayle Sayers as the only player in NFL history with 4 TDs of 50+ yards...or something to that effect. This kid can be a special talent if they continue finding ways to get him the ball.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well, when you go from having Amendola and Gibson as you're main optoins to Givens, Austin, Cook, Quick, Pettis, Bailey, Stacy and Cunnigham it's hard to get everyone the ball.
For once a great problem to have. But yeah, strange that we don't target TA a little more. I mean look at what he's done that last two weeks alone.

I respectfully disagree. NONE of those players are currently earning special play design attention and key offensive positions except Tavon, Stacy, and now perhaps, to a lesser extent, Cunningham, Cook, and Bailey. Tavon IS the game changer on the Rams. How you don't use him by design in at least 5-8 plays, I'm sorry, I don't get it. I guess I'm just stupid and love big plays and TDs.

There's no way this continues. the next time the Rams lose (in 2014 :wink:), if they let TA sit on the bench, EVERYONE is going to start sounding like me. :cray:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I also like how he tied Gayle Sayers as the only player in NFL history with 4 TDs of 50+ yards...or something to that effect. This kid can be a special talent if they continue finding ways to get him the ball.

The kid is a freak of nature and he has heart! When they weren't getting him the ball, he was still out there 100% blocking and getting open.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I respectfully disagree. NONE of those players are currently earning special play design attention and key offensive positions except Tavon, Stacy, and now perhaps, to a lesser extent, Cunningham, Cook, and Bailey. Tavon IS the game changer on the Rams. How you don't use him by design in at least 5-8 plays, I'm sorry, I don't get it. I guess I'm just stupid and love big plays and TDs.

There's no way this continues. the next time the Rams lose (in 2014 :wink:), if they let TA sit on the bench, EVERYONE is going to start sounding like me. :cray:

I think you're missing my point. When you have 3X as many options, you're not going to get every play designed for you. Amendola was getting a lot of chances because there wasn't much else to throw to. If Austin was about the ONLY option, he'd probably get more looks.
But when you have 3-4 other GOOD options, then your touches are naturally going to be less.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think you're missing my point. When you have 3X as many options, you're not going to get every play designed for you. Amendola was getting a lot of chances because there wasn't much else to throw to. If Austin was about the ONLY option, he'd probably get more looks.
But when you have 3-4 other GOOD options, then your touches are naturally going to be less.

Yeah, I get what you are saying but you are grading them as if they should share the ball equally.

Givens got more targets than TA in the Bears game. The result? ZERO receptions for Givens. Why? If you were the coach, and you had a player run a 65 yard TD on the third play of the game, would you then keep throwing it to another player for the rest of the game? Why doesn't TA deserve at least 5-8 plays?

Next game, TA deserves to get a LOT more plays designed to get him the ball in the open field. He's earned it. The Rams NEED it. There is no sensible or logical reason not to, unless I'm missing something.

Quite frankly, I would start Bailey and move Givens to number 2 until he earns it. I'm certain Bailey has.

I don't ...

Tavon had TWO receptions and ONE run in the Bears game and TWO receptions and ZERO runs in the Colts game. With so little opportunity, he was the most important player in the Colts game and a very important one in the Bears game.

I can't help but wonder why you score with TA on the third play of the game and then never use him in the run game, against a horrible run defense, again. Not when the Bears closed within a score. Not when Stacy went out. Just seems like a waste of talent to me....

Everyone who follows college football knows how bad WVU's defense was Tavons senior year...most though don't remember that our offense went into a lull at one point. For our game against OK our coach decided he was going to put the ball into the play makers hands no matter how he had to do it. That meant Tavon. Tavon almost carried the team on his back to victory...he caught passes sure but look how he shredded a pretty good OK defense rushing the ball....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74

Last edited by a moderator:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Everyone who follows college football knows how bad WVU's defense was Tavons senior year...most though don't remember that our offense went into a lull at one point. For our game against OK our coach decided he was going to put the ball into the play makers hands no matter how he had to do it. That meant Tavon. Tavon almost carried the team on his back to victory...he caught passes sure but look how he shredded a pretty good OK defense rushing the ball....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74

That's a game for the history books, no doubt. THAT'S what TA can do when you unleash him.

And Stedman Bailey might be the most underrated player on the team right now. Dude deserves a shot.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Yeah, I get what you are saying but you are grading them as if they should share the ball equally.

Givens got more targets than TA in the Bears game. The result? ZERO receptions for Givens. Why? If you were the coach, and you had a player run a 65 yard TD on the third play of the game, would you then keep throwing it to another player for the rest of the game? Why doesn't TA deserve at least 5-8 plays?

Next game, TA deserves to get a LOT more plays designed to get him the ball in the open field. He's earned it. The Rams NEED it. There is no sensible or logical reason not to, unless I'm missing something.

Quite frankly, I would start Bailey and move Givens to number 2 until he earns it. I'm certain Bailey has.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm grading them equally per se. But it's also not always just that easy to get 5-8 plays. I can't say I could tell every play after the 65 yard TD, but I'm sure the defense paid more attention to TA. Could be they started putting double teams on him. Thing is when you have players like Austin, Givens, Cook and even Quick (because of his size anyway) it should open someone up. That was the whole thought anyway around our offense. Of course I'd love for Austin to get more touches. A lot of factors play into that though. Plus, with our running game being as good as it has, we're not throwing as much as we were. So even less opportunities. But I would agree they should get TA at least 2-3 carries out of the backfield per game in some kind of fashion.

We both agree Austin needs the ball more often, regardless if it's trick plays, running, slot or wide.
As far as Givens goes, man I don't know what to think. Has he regressed? We're not trying to get HIM the ball as much or what?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well, I wouldn't say I'm grading them equally per se. But it's also not always just that easy to get 5-8 plays. I can't say I could tell every play after the 65 yard TD, but I'm sure the defense paid more attention to TA. Could be they started putting double teams on him. Thing is when you have players like Austin, Givens, Cook and even Quick (because of his size anyway) it should open someone up. That was the whole thought anyway around our offense. Of course I'd love for Austin to get more touches. A lot of factors play into that though. Plus, with our running game being as good as it has, we're not throwing as much as we were. So even less opportunities. But I would agree they should get TA at least 2-3 carries out of the backfield per game in some kind of fashion.

We both agree Austin needs the ball more often, regardless if it's trick plays, running, slot or wide.
As far as Givens goes, man I don't know what to think. Has he regressed? We're not trying to get HIM the ball as much or what?

They tried quite a bit but he just wasn't open, or bad throw. He had one nice catch but there was a penalty. Where's his speed?

bskrilla

Starter
Givens has been gimped much of the year and I'm still not sure he's back to 100%.

And as far as the amount of touches for Tavon goes. I don't think they're actively avoiding targeting him, but when he makes the plays he has the past few weeks the defenses around the league will take note and double up to stop him.

MFaulk107

The Realness
Good shit now that Austin is doing what was expected. We knew it would come, just had to wait for it.
Now I'm just waiting to see Bailey get out there! The few things I've seen from him make me wanna see much more from that guy. The catches he's had so far(2 I think?) were good and he fought for a few more yards. It seems like he is ready to show out and explode any minute, just needs more time on the field I believe.

Stedman was actually a better receiver at WVU than Tavon. No doubt Tavon is better once he has the ball but Stedman has much better hands.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stedman was actually a better receiver at WVU than Tavon. No doubt Tavon is better once he has the ball but Stedman has much better hands.

Tavon's game translates quicker. Stedman will get his. It may just not be this year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tavon Austin WR STL 6 Hrs
Tavon Austin is the fourth player since 1960 with a 60-plus yard rushing TD, receiving TD and punt return TD in the same season.
Gale Sayers, Billy Johnston and DeSean Jackson are the only others to do it. [hl]Austin also has four touchdowns of 50-plus yards in a two-game span, joining Sayers and Jim Brown as the only players to ever do that. [/hl]"(Things are) definitely slowing down," Austin said. The statistical ceiling is high here, but the floor is as low as it gets as well. Austin has a total of just seven offensive touches in the last three games. If he's not breaking monster plays, he's going to bury fantasy owners in the box score.

good company.