Cool breakdown of our 9 straight runs against the Ravens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

younghutch

UDFA
This was fantastic. Sounds like McVay has counter-adjusted to the defensive schemes that arose to slow down the Rams post-2019 offense.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was impressed to hear it broken down so clearly and it warms my heart that McVay took advantage of it as long as they offered it up

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
10, 11 or 12 straight runs and the RAMS win that game.
Coach got too cute. He tends to out think himself sometimes to his own detriment.
A successful run play requires far less things to go your way than a successful pass play.
Keep it simple stupid is the way to go when the chips are down and you need something simple and basic for success.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As much as I liked to see runs all the way to first and goal, I was yelling at McVay when he called 3 straight passes. In that situation you gotta run on first down. Even second down too. If you don't get it you decide whether its run or pass on 3rd down. And the defense will be guessing because they don't know if its pass or run.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Man all I saw was Stafford had Puca wide open on 1st and goal on the opening drive.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As much as I liked to see runs all the way to first and goal, I was yelling at McVay when he called 3 straight passes. In that situation you gotta run on first down. Even second down too. If you don't get it you decide whether its run or pass on 3rd down. And the defense will be guessing because they don't know if its pass or run.
I felt the same, run on first and see where you get, then that dictates whether passing or running is best on 2nd. After watching the breakdown I am pretty sure Baltimore changed it up inside the 10 but I still run on first.

John R

Rookie
Name
John R
I felt the same, run on first and see where you get, then that dictates whether passing or running is best on 2nd. After watching the breakdown I am pretty sure Baltimore changed it up inside the 10 but I still run on first.
To me that was a main turning point. Sometimes you don’t have to outsmart the defense, you just overpower them. At least go play action after all those runs if you do want to trick them.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I thought both McVay and this analyst spoke very clearly about how the Ravens' adjustment in the red zone negated the kind of success they had rushing to that point. Yes, Puka was open on the 1st and 10, but Robinson slipped on his return route and on second down, there was too much distance with that defense compressed in the middle to run the power schemes well enough to progress. The Ravens uncharacteristically morphed to a man scheme that stopped the first drive but told Sean all he needed to succeed in the tight red area going forward. Credit their red zone changeup scheme and credit Sean for making the adjustment.

This season has been filled with a lot of bad football and a few well played games. Most people I've heard agree that both teams played very high level professional football last Sunday. This team is performing far better than most of us imagined they would.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
10, 11 or 12 straight runs and the RAMS win that game.
Coach got too cute. He tends to out think himself sometimes to his own detriment.
A successful run play requires far less things to go your way than a successful pass play.
Keep it simple stupid is the way to go when the chips are down and you need something simple and basic for success.
So, to the two of you who gave me a "not so sure" . Is that about the Rams not winning that game if they get a touchdown in that situation instead of a field goal. A 4 point difference would have got the win. I said as much to my wife when McVay choked that those 4 points was going cost us. We are NOT going to blow out the Ravens, we need points.
Its the Ravens, they are better than us right now and 4 points is huge.
Or do you think he was right to start throwing it around on a tough defense with a condensed field where they can use the back of the end zone to their advantage ? Those 3 plays were disjointed GARBAGE. Not close on any of them.
Calling those plays while we just ran it down their throat 9 fucking times in a row and they never ONCE stopped the Rams form getting a first down on nothing but in your face, up the gut man on real man football we go to cute "timing plays" ????
The answer is right in front of your face.
McVay cost us the game as sure as the sun is going to come up tomorrow.
He goes against the highest odds of success in favor of plays that feed his ego.
There I said it.
I said it while there is no other coach I would rather have. He needs to grow up a little.
If I know there is a 90% chance we get the TD with 3 runs, he should know it and gets paid millions to know it.
I tell you what, the Ravens coaches were happy he went pass happy.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
So, to the two of you who gave me a "not so sure" . Is that about the Rams not winning that game if they get a touchdown in that situation instead of a field goal. A 4 point difference would have got the win. I said as much to my wife when McVay choked that those 4 points was going cost us. We are NOT going to blow out the Ravens, we need points.
Its the Ravens, they are better than us right now and 4 points is huge.
Or do you think he was right to start throwing it around on a tough defense with a condensed field where they can use the back of the end zone to their advantage ? Those 3 plays were disjointed GARBAGE. Not close on any of them.
Calling those plays while we just ran it down their throat 9 fucking times in a row and they never ONCE stopped the Rams form getting a first down on nothing but in your face, up the gut man on real man football we go to cute "timing plays" ????
The answer is right in front of your face.
McVay cost us the game as sure as the sun is going to come up tomorrow.
He goes against the highest odds of success in favor of plays that feed his ego.
There I said it.
I said it while there is no other coach I would rather have. He needs to grow up a little.
If I know there is a 90% chance we get the TD with 3 runs, he should know it and gets paid millions to know it.
I tell you what, the Ravens coaches were happy he went pass happy.
The reason we can't be sure is that every decision/action in a game.. ESPECIALLY that early.. leads to different outcomes.
We have no idea how it would've impacted subsequent play calls by either team or the outcomes.

Sure.. the plays sucked.. and, while I don't really enjoy JB Long.. as he said in Between the Horns this week.. maybe the way the Ravens played those 3 downs gave the Rams all the info they needed for later in the game.. because they tore-ass passing in the red zone the rest of the way.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
On the run plays Ravens in nickel defense. Rams took advantage.
On the first pass, McVay saw Ravens switched to base personnel and knew was going to be tougher to run.
So, he passes and it's 2nd and long. Gotta throw there. Then third.

Ravens dictated that Rams pass by using bigger personnel. You can still run but it's going to be much lower
odds vs run-stopping scheme.

Teams know their own success rate on runs vs base defense and Ravens success against run plays
when they are in base.

Maybe the odds were low they were going to get more than a yard or two. Maybe the odds of throwing
vs base defense were better.

But sure, it was frustrating but when teams load up against run, passing is better option, regardless
of what you did on a bunch of plays vs nickel defense

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One great thing about our wideouts being so big and physical and willing to put their bodies in there as lead blockers is when McVay dials up runs the Rams do have a nice size advantage, as if they are in 12. Because both Kupp & Nacua are big wideouts, they are like small TEs in their effect blocking. Same with Skow. Robinson isn't small either, he's over 6' and a non-diva type who will get his hands dirty.

And the OL is doing a great job in both the run and pass game of late. They seem to be improving week to week.

So all that plus the threat of this passing game the way Stafford is playing right now means this offense is going to be hard to stop the rest of the way. What we are going to need to win out is mainly Stafford playing with discipline and not giving opponents a short field. If our opponents need to drive the field vs our defense and in any game where we do a good job in the red zone, this offense should be able to do enough to win the game vs the non-elite type opponents.

And the elite opponents who knows maybe we can knock one of them off. Like SF that final week or maybe if we get in and draw them.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
One great thing about our wideouts being so big and physical and willing to put their bodies in there as lead blockers is when McVay dials up runs the Rams do have a nice size advantage, as if they are in 12. Because both Kupp & Nacua are big wideouts, they are like small TEs in their effect blocking. Same with Skow. Robinson isn't small either, he's over 6' and a non-diva type who will get his hands dirty.

And the OL is doing a great job in both the run and pass game of late. They seem to be improving week to week.

So all that plus the threat of this passing game the way Stafford is playing right now means this offense is going to be hard to stop the rest of the way. What we are going to need to win out is mainly Stafford playing with discipline and not giving opponents a short field. If our opponents need to drive the field vs our defense and in any game where we do a good job in the red zone, this offense should be able to do enough to win the game vs the non-elite type opponents.

And the elite opponents who knows maybe we can knock one of them off. Like SF that final week or maybe if we get in and draw them.
Yes sir. I fully expect us to drop 30+ on each of the next three opponents. McVay is developing the next generation of his offense. He just needs to make sure he doesn't out-think himself.