Column Aspiring Ram Ian Seau, nephew of Hall of Famer Junior Seau, looks to make his own impact in N

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Helene ElliottContact Reporter

The resemblance between Ian Seau and his late uncle, pro football Hall of Famer Junior Seau, is in determination more than DNA, more striking in their love of family, football and the ukulele than in their facial features.

Ian Seau, one of 19 undrafted rookie free agents who participated in theRams' rookie mini-camp last week in Oxnard, isn't as tall or muscular as his uncle, who played 13 of his 20 NFL seasons in San Diego. Ian Seau, slightly shorter at 6 feet 2 and a bit lighter at 250 pounds, doesn't have his famous relative's athleticism. His strengths are less visible.

"I'm a really hard worker. It's not easy to make me quit. I rarely quit," Ian said. "I go out there and I'm going to compete. I'm going to claw and try and stay a part of this organization, so whatever I have to do, I'm going to find a way to stay on this team."

He had a solid career as a defensive end and outside linebacker at Nevada, where he racked up 10 sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss last season, but he didn't hear his name called on draft day. By contrast, Junior Seau was chosen fifth overall by the Chargers in 1990 out of USC, launching a stellar career as one of the game's premier linebackers.

See the most-read stories in Sports this hour >>
Three years into retirement he shot himself in the chest and died on May 2, 2012. Doctors concluded he had suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative disease found in the brains of people with a history of severe or repeated brain injuries. Approximately 90 former NFL players have tested positive for the disease.

While uncle and nephew were close, Ian said Junior rarely spoke of football or its pitfalls.

"He tried to keep his professional life different from his social life and his family life. He never really talked to me about playing in the NFL," Ian said. "He just told me, 'Hey man, when you're in the league make sure you have a ukulele next to you.' I got my uke out here. Whenever I'm stressed out I can just play that. Just small things he gave me of that nature."

To avoid causing a fuss, Junior Seau would arrive unannounced the few times he attended Ian's games at La Jolla Country Day School and La Costa Canyon High in Carlsbad. "Watching Ian play football, even basketball, he pulled me aside and said that he reminds me how I used to play, when I played basketball and football," said Mary Seau, Junior's sister and a single mother to Ian and daughter Shannalei. "Junior could not believe that he was a clone of him."

That bond is why Ian misses him keenly now. "I went to his grave sometimes throughout this whole entire process and said, 'Uncle, man, I wish you were here to tell me what to do,'" Ian said. "I'd sit there hoping he gives me an answer. He never does. But it was cool. I wish he was here to talk me through this and sort of ease all this pain."

It's too early to evaluate the chances Ian will stick with the Rams and follow his uncle by playing at the Coliseum as the team returns to Los Angeles following an absence of two decades. The rookies spent the first few days easing into their surroundings and preparing to work with the veterans. He likes the Rams' 4-3 defense and "great defensive line, a great defensive culture in general." He believes he can also play middle linebacker if asked. "He really would like to do this not only for himself but to let Junior know that he didn't give up, that he's the only one that didn't give up," Mary Seau said.

Follow Helene Elliott on Twitter: @helenenothelen

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rams-seau-elliott-20160509-column.html

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he makes it to training camp this kid will be one of the UDFA's they focus on in Hard Knocks, too good of a story not to.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In reviewing the new UDFA rookie LBers Ian Seau is listed in many ways in draft sites. Either as a Edge rusher or 34 OSLB'er or even as a DL'er. Seau size seems to have some range too where he is as low as 230 pounds to the official Rams weight @ 256 pounds somewhere between 6-2 & 6-3 tall. Rams have placed him in the DL unit cadre for now with a #72 number.

Rams gave the DE 6-4 259 pound Morgan Fox a #42 number?? I also find Kache Palacio listed often as a edge rusher as much as he is listed as a OLB'er. Rams also gave Palacio a DL'er # 70? Cory Littleton found himself also listed OLB/edge rusher tweener lists, but he has a LB'er # 58.

Alex Ogletree will get some inside LB'ing help with Brandon Chubb 6-1/240 # 53 & Darreon Herring 6-2 232 #49 to go with drafted Josh Forest 6-3/250 #59 who is a SSLB/MLB type. The LBing cadre has some size to it along with last season LB'ing cadre unit of Hager/Lynch/Wells/Hodges listing 13 Lb'ers at this time excluding Seau?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It surprises me that his family hasn't disuaded him from playing NfL football, due to the way Junior's life after football, ended. Yet, if he loves the game like his uncle did (and we do) it would be hard to not seek fame and money playing a kids game that you love.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I actually think he's got a good shot at sticking on this roster. No other player outside of Quinn on this roster has the natural edge skills like Seau has. In the event Quinn is injured again the other options to replace him depth-wise are not great, so there is reason to think Seau sticks.

He's got some skill, he's got a good motor, and he's going to carry his weight on special teams of that I have no doubt. Dude's on my short list of UDFAs with the best chance to stick.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not to be a killjoy....but I've never heard of him except once....probably a few years ago...just the Seau name...no reference to his play...I can't see a DE that small making it...
and like someone above said, I find it strange the way Jr. family is trying to sue the league, yet this guy is playing AND undersized at his position...