Collinsworth mock draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Makes the most sense to me.

It's the "Spock" draft... Which, sadly, is why it probably won't happen...it's too logical...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have to chuckle at Collinsworths Mock!! First he says Goff is a better QB than Wentz, then he seems to contradict himself. And that's just in the 1st paragraph of his op!!:ROFLMAO:
And I don't agree Goff is better than Wentz, or that they will go 1-2 in the draft!!:argue:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I don't see Lynch in the first round... Why not trade back and pick him up later if that's the case ?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Lynch is a project. You don't spend a first on a guy who may seriously need two years of classroom learning to get to the NFL level...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe we should try to trade up, but I don't think #1 is reasonable. The Titans would use the very basis of the RG3 trade that we made to get: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 1st

That's actually close to what Washington gave up to move from 6 to 2. 15 to 1? Wouldn't be out of the realm for them to ask for ANOTHER 1st round pick.

Have to think the Browns and Niners go QB. I think Dallas would be stupid to pass up their future QB too, but they might. The reality of this is that we're looking at no QB. Which is depressing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to chuckle at Collinsworths Mock!! First he says Goff is a better QB than Wentz, then he seems to contradict himself. And that's just in the 1st paragraph of his op!!:ROFLMAO:
And I don't agree Goff is better than Wentz, or that they will go 1-2 in the draft!!:argue:
First off, I pretty much hate Cris Collinsworth.
That said, I don't see where he is contradicting himself, instead he seems to think what most feel. That Wentz is the better overall prospect, but Goff is the most NFL ready.
I think they will both be very good and really hope we get one.
Last time we trade up with the Houston Oilers, we ended up with a pretty awesome QB. Maybe history will repeat itself. (Even if the team is now the Titans)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
First off, I pretty much hate Cris Collinsworth.
That said, I don't see where he is contradicting himself, instead he seems to think what most feel. That Wentz is the better overall prospect, but Goff is the most NFL ready.
I think they will both be very good and really hope we get one.
Last time we trade up with the Houston Oilers, we ended up with a pretty awesome QB. Maybe history will repeat itself. (Even if the team is now the Titans)
I find it a contradiction, when he picks Goff as the #1 QB and then turns around and talks about how great Wentz is compared to him.
I personally think Wentz is the most NFL ready QB of the two, and he is the better QB. IMHO

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I find it a contradiction, when he picks Goff as the #1 QB and then turns around and talks about how great Wentz is compared to him.
I personally think Wentz is the most NFL ready QB of the two, and he is the better QB. IMHO
Again, not to split hairs, but he doesn't say he's better, just better right now. Which most everyone agrees.
"Jared Goff is the better QB today, but teams won’t be able to pass on the physical traits that Carson Wentz brings to the table. Somebody will move ahead of Cleveland and get him."

"Goff is not as physically impressive as Wentz — he is skinny, has small hands, and his arm strength doesn’t compare, but he is a very impressive QB whose skills are obvious on tape"

Me? I like them both, very much. And if the Rams are able to move up and get one of the two, HE is the one I will think is better. Lol

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It does seem undeniable at this point that the Rams will be drafting their QBotF.

So from where I am sitting it makes a lot of sense to move up and take a top prospect, to invest high draft capital in the position for the first time since Bradford was taken 1 overall. There are two guys up there who can give us hope. Wentz will go before Goff regardless I think, he has cemented himself as the consensus best QB in this draft. But the real problem is the 1 overall being up for grabs.

If the Rams really want Goff, they can have a tentative move-up deal in place with Dallas or someone in that range, since they can count on Cleveland taking Wentz. But there are teams who might be eyeballing the 1 overall pick and if they do that chances are both QBs are off the board 1-2. So it's doable to move up for Goff at a relative bargain. Risky, but doable.

If they want Wentz they're gonna have to go all the way up to 1 overall. Otherwise they watch Cleveland take him at 2 overall. It is unavoidable IMO.

What might drive this happening is the risk involved with the QB position due to teams and their need. At this point it's easy for the media to mock Lynch in round 2, but they're not running a team that needs a QB. Lynch will not get out of round 1. He probably won't make it to 15, and I don't care how "raw" he is. Teams are not going to be as concerned as it is being made out to be. Lynch is not some waterboy who has size and measurables. He actually did some really nice things on tape. He stuck with a nowhere program and led it to respectability as their starting QB. He moves exceptionally well and has a deep ball that will make Fish and any other coach who has a good RB cry tears of joy. IMO don't believe the BS around him, he's a round 1 QB regardless unless there's something in his history off the field nobody knows about.

So Snead and Fish are going to be sitting there asking "Do we risk waiting here and/or potentially here and here in the draft for X, Y, Z prospects? Or do we just suck it up and go up and get Wentz/Goff." I sincerely hope it's the latter.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Not sure why Lynch is no linger in the equation - Cleveland might be more apt to take Lynch before Goff

We will be sitting pretty if we end up with Lynch at #15

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I almost miss the Warner- Bulger debate of 03-04 at the moment. At least we knee who they would be throwing to at WR.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would cream in my shorts if this mock came to fruition, then i would buy a new pair of shorts.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure why Lynch is no linger in the equation - Cleveland might be more apt to take Lynch before Goff

We will be sitting pretty if we end up with Lynch at #15

So, this is just a guess based on what's available to a dude on a computer - but having said that ....

The brain is the most important tool a QB has. Lynch has really impressive tools but that most important one was not overly impressive when tested in the meeting rooms.

Now, that is more likely to be oversimplified media fodder than real analysis - the kid may be a surgeon slicing secondaries apart over his career - but that diagnostic ability seems to be the seperating factor for him right now - if you believe what you read.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Well it is still up for debate. None of us will really know for sure it is smoke by teams trying to downplay Lynch's abilities or if it is true. Ideally for the Rams the reports that Lynch had poor whiteboard sessions and aloof interviews at the combine are all made up. But if they aren't that is a red flag for a guy that would be considered a top 15 pick and the franchise QB that the team and staff are betting their futures on.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Well it is still up for debate. None of us will really know for sure it is smoke by teams trying to downplay Lynch's abilities or if it is true. Ideally for the Rams the reports that Lynch had poor whiteboard sessions and aloof interviews at the combine are all made up. But if they aren't that is a red flag for a guy that would be considered a top 15 pick and the franchise QB that the team and staff are betting their futures on.

He seems cool to me - maybe any issues with the whiteboard will be erased when Gruden raves over him :LOL:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jmpjz4fONnk

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lynch is a project. You don't spend a first on a guy who may seriously need two years of classroom learning to get to the NFL level...

Jason Smith
Brian quick
Grob

It's the Rams way.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Ugh. And what do we have to show for that?

Jason Smith is feeding the poor (I admire that, mind you, his life work is special. Just wish we hadn't spent a 1st rounder on him...)
Brian Quick is still an unknown, but unless something changes, he'll be lucky to live up to a mid-3rd round pick.
GRob has everything he needs to be a dominating LT...except the will and dedication to be one. Unfortunately, those may be the most important traits. So, he may be everything from average, to inconsistent to finally putting it together and being THAT GUY.

Still, if you want to be successful (I should have said), you don't spend a 1st rounder on a 2 year project...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Lynch ran the Wing T in high school. He didn't know anything when he arrived in Memphis with a losing program but he busted his butt and became something and helped that team rise to respectability. Watch his tape and he just stands out like crazy, if you remove him that is a completely different team. In comparison, and I'm not knocking Wentz here, if you remove Wentz from his team they're still fine.

If the Rams take him at 15 I will be fine with it. I'll be p!$$ed that the Rams risked him not being there of course, but I'll be good with it. He's a nice fit in this offense and even though I would take Wentz and Goff before him this kid might well end up being the best QB from this draft. Dude is kind of goofy off the field, but on the field he's a beast of a QB and has a very bright future.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Lynch ran the Wing T in high school. He didn't know anything when he arrived in Memphis with a losing program but he busted his butt and became something and helped that team rise to respectability. Watch his tape and he just stands out like crazy, if you remove him that is a completely different team. In comparison, and I'm not knocking Wentz here, if you remove Wentz from his team they're still fine.

If the Rams take him at 15 I will be fine with it. I'll be p!$$ed that the Rams risked him not being there of course, but I'll be good with it. He's a nice fit in this offense and even though I would take Wentz and Goff before him this kid might well end up being the best QB from this draft. Dude is kind of goofy off the field, but on the field he's a beast of a QB and has a very bright future.
We disagree on these guys Merlin(not too much we disagree on either). I think Wentz and Lynch are pretty far apart in terms of just about everything in terms of being a QB at the next level. They both have good size but that's where it ends for me. I do agree that it's harder to evaluate Lynch because of all the simple screens, short stuff etc...but Lynch is a 2nd rounder if i'm drafting. His numbers say he's more accurate then both Wentz and Goff but he's not. It's all those safe throws he makes...and all three QB's are throwing to bad receivers so drops aren't an excuse.

What is it that people are seeing in Lynch besides 6' 7" 245 with some athleticism? He looks no where near ready to me. Bortles looked alot better than Lynch when he came out and Bortles didn't look quite ready either.