College football playoff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am an Ohio State fan, I'll start by saying that.

Most people agree that Ohio State is unequivocally one of the 4 best teams in the nation. From that perspective, Ohio State should be in the top 4, but we likely won't be.

Curious what non-Ohio State fans think of this.

I don't think you always see which team is better by the outcome of a game. I think we're better than Michigan St, even after they beat us in Columbus.

if the committees goal is to put the 4 best teams in, and everyone thinks OSU is one of the 4 best, shouldn't they be in the playoff? A team winning another conference does not make them better or worse than another team.

Stel

Starter
I think they should have a playoff system like the smaller schools. Determine the top team on the field. Won't happen. The NCAA is money driven just like the NFL.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm a Pac 12 fan so if I had my say, Ohio State and Michigan would never be in it. :pillowfight::D

All that said, Ohio State has won some squeakers against not so great opponents. Even if they are as you say, a better team, they still have to show up in the regular season to prove it. Do I think they could potentially beat one or all of the top 4? Yes. I just respect Urban Meyer as a coach for that answer though.

So in the end, you gotta play your way in and I don't think Ohio State has done that.

Athos

Legend
I'm a slit Zou fan and Tarheel fan.

If they beat Clemson... They should be in imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It likely won't happen, though. That South Carolina loss has seriously hurt their chances. They'd have to destroy Clemson to get in imo.

LOL. I don't think so. They lost to Michigan State and they didn't looks that good doing it. Who do you think they are better than in the top 4?

They didn't just lose to Michigan State. They lost to a Michigan State team playing without Connor Cook.

I agree. Ohio State hasn't looked good all year. They remind me of the 2009 Gators.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

That would be like the Notre Dame/Alabama NC game. Even though Notre Dame had the record to get in everyone besides Notre Dame fans knew there were better teams that should be in there. Notre Dame was predictably blown out.

Athos

Legend
That would be like the Notre Dame/Alabama NC game. Even though Notre Dame had the record to get in everyone besides Notre Dame fans knew there were better teams that should be in there. Notre Dame was predictably blown out.

Except for the dact that you know, UNc has one of the more explosive offenses in the country.

And a D that turns the ball over.

I think UNC could beat anyone in the country. uSC game was an aberration. Our QB turned the ball over 3 times in the red zone.

Should have blown that shitty team out with AVg QB play.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Except for the dact that you know, UNc has one of the more explosive offenses in the country.

And a D that turns the ball over.

I think UNC could beat anyone in the country. uSC game was an aberration. Our QB turned the ball over 3 times in the red zone.

Should have blown that crappy team out with AVg QB play.

We'll find out Saturday. The Notre Dame fans were saying the same things about their team, and even tried to say Strength of Schedule was in their favor. Strength of preseason schedule was but post season many of the supposedly strong teams were nowhere to be found.

Looking over the UNC schedule I can confidently say that they don't have a single signature win. They haven't played against any good teams. Their toughest competition was a three win Georgia Tech team 38 - 31 and a 7 win NC State team 45 - 34. I forgive the South Carolina game because the first game of the season is often not an indicator of who you are.

North Carolina has a weak schedule. They may be good but weak schedules hurt your chances to get in the playoffs.

Athos

Legend
Better than not having to play in a conference CC game.

Playing one less game like the Bog Twelve - 2 isn't exactly fair tho.

And everyone but deluded ND fans knew that team sucked and was going to get obliterated.

But if UNC knocks off Clemson and MSU loses, I don't really know there's an argument why UNC should be in the convo for the 4th spot.

Athos

Legend
Just had to post.

That BS offsides call was pretty much equivalent to a Triplette call on the Rams.

Total horseshit. Not saying UNC wins, but they shoulda had the opportunity to tie.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL. I don't think so. They lost to Michigan State and they didn't looks that good doing it. Who do you think they are better than in the top 4?

I'm confident Ohio State would beat all 4 teams, including MSU.

In any sport, just because a team beats another team doesn't mean they're better. I'll admit that losing to MSU in Columbus was shocking, but I think the weather played a part in it. MSU came to play and OSU didn't show up that night, simple as that. If you take that one game away, we have a much better resume. MSU had a string of 3/4 weeks where they barely beat inferior opponents. Ohio State only actually had 2 squeakers - Northern Illinois and at Indiana.

It reminded me a bit of Baylor/TCU last year - Baylor beat them, but TCU was clearly the better team IMO. Look at what we did vs Michigan and what MSU did vs Michigan....

If Michigan's punter gets that punt off, and nothing else changes, we would have been playing against Iowa and we'd be back in the playoff. So now we're saying that whether or not a 20 year old kid executes a simple punt determines who is a "better" team?? No way.

Ohio State looked absolutely terrible against MSU but only lost on a last second FG. And yes, they were without Cook, but the conditions that night seriously hampered the passing game....not having him forced them to commit more to the run which ultimately won them the game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Most people agree that Ohio State is unequivocally one of the 4 best teams in the nation.

Well I stopped taking you seriously when I read this part. Most people I take it would be Ohio State Fans. I don't think they are as good as they were last year and I don't think they would beat all four teams in the playoff. The looked bad against MSU and as Jrry said Cook wasn't there. Northern Illinois could have beaten them. That teams is not as good as it has been recently. And Indiana? Do you think Alabama, Clemson, or Oklahoma struggle with Indiana? No way. Ditto for Northern Illiniois.

Ohio State didn't even deserve to win the NC last year........because they were handed a win at PSU by the referees. We have gone over that before but that was not a loss on paper but it was in the eyes of everyone watching it and it would have kept OSU out of the playoffs.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I stopped taking you seriously when I read this part. Most people I take it would be Ohio State Fans. I don't think they are as good as they were last year and I don't think they would beat all four teams in the playoff. The looked bad against MSU and as Jrry said Cook wasn't there. Northern Illinois could have beaten them. That teams is not as good as it has been recently. And Indiana? Do you think Alabama, Clemson, or Oklahoma struggle with Indiana? No way. Ditto for Northern Illiniois.

Ohio State didn't even deserve to win the NC last year........because they were handed a win at PSU by the referees. We have gone over that before but that was not a loss on paper but it was in the eyes of everyone watching it and it would have kept OSU out of the playoffs.

No, most people I've talked to aren't just OSU fans. Multiple people, even in the media, have said that they think OSU is one of the 4 best teams.

Saying OSU didn't deserve to win it last year? That's just petty and borderline childish....they thoroughly beat Oregon and handled Alabama. OSU was going to win that game against Penn St last year regardless. You just have to get over that.

And the struggling with Indiana thing....it's a conference opponent....on the road. Even in the BCS era teams didn't get viewed too harshly for that.

I don't think Ohio State struggles with South Carolina, but Clemson did...it's a rivalry...things happen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Allowing OSU to kick a field goal 3 seconds after the play clock expired was a blatantly bad call. The penalty takes them out of field goal range and forces a punt. The game ended in a tie. I don't even need to point out the fake interception that the refs game OSU when it was very obvious that it hit the ground and was fallen on. Then they claimed that they couldn't review it because they were having technical trouble. Yet on the screen on the field everyone else saw it plane as day. The refs gave that game to OSU, for whatever reason. With that loss they don't make it to the playoffs. The competition to get in was too close. It is funny how I have never had a single Ohio State fan admit that they got away with one. To boot it was against a weak 64 man roster that was defeated from sanctions. When the experts looked at it closely they would have said noway they get in.

Now if they had an 8 game playoff and OSu still got in, yes there is a good chance that they still win. But according to the system that is currently in place..........noway.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Most know I'm a fan of The Ohio State University, however, I will be rooting for Sparty to kick the Crimson Tide right in the tuckus. Hoping with Alabama losing in back to back years to Big Ten teams that will help turn the tide of the boring SEC. My God the quarterback play is bad in that conference IMHO.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
GO IRISH!!

Irony here growing up I rooted for Notre Dame because being born in 1966 and Catholic,Notre Dame was the only team you were allowed to root for and the only team consistently on television back then.

Fast forward to my eight years in Ohio (Air Force & College) and I went to the games every Saturday when Buckeyes were at home (Columbus) and some road trips too. Got caught up in it and being University of Dayton alum Ohio became my adopted State and the Buckeyes are number one for me in college football, but I still root for Notre Dame against everyone else with the exception of The Ohio State University.

Funny when they played in 2006 I was not sure who I would really root for, but as soon as the ball was kicked off there was no question, I'm a Buckeye, but still have a heart for Notre Dame.