Cody Wichmann

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
A couple comments with thoughts about your second paragraph coming first:

I've said nothing about Wichmann's abilities, what he might bring to the table in the future or my opinion of his talent level so I'll do some of that now. You're preaching to the choir when it comes to keeping in horns for now. In fact, I'd have been disappointed had he been cut jst as I was disappointed that battle was cut. As I mentioned earlier and we seem to be in agreement here, Snisher has shown a proclivity for finding diamonds in the rough and since I haven't seen enough of him (though my confidence level concerning him is much lower than yours appears to be) to make an informed decision I'd like to see more before I take the drastic step of cutting him. But then I would say the same thing about Battle so...

So for me, TC is about 60% and the preseason games comprise about 40% of my evaluation of a player. Wichmann missed all of our TC and half of the preseason. He even missed most of the OTAs. Those percentages might not be the same as yours but for me that means it's a very small sample size of only 20% in which to judge his talent level. It's actually even less of of a full picture for me because of the level of competition he faced. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that none of our rookies got a fair evaluation. Normally you have vets who you don't need to evaluate but because we drafted about 20 O-linemen each of them probably got fewer reps than normal.

Alan I highly respect you and your opinion and you speak very well and I know we would be great friends if we lived near each other. I'm sure we'd have our dissagrements too on how things are handled at One Rams place.

I know if anyone can find something on the internet its you. I have watched his college gamefilm and I know thats a giant leap from the Pro game. Once you see his size and realize he has'nt missed a start ever in his 4 year college career and I'd reccomend the USC game from last year as a great example of what we can expect and much better. He is Jamon Browns doppleganger. Yes he can tighten up like Rob Havenstein already has and since he had his first injury after he got here I pray he is done for the rest of his LONG RAMS career on our OL.

I have a slightly smaller lower opinion of Coach Paul Beaudreu's abilities as some do across the league. So glad he has brought some zone blocking back to our teams abilities. He was most successfull with that when he was with the Falcons and had a small stretch of success with a bowling ball RB. The RB we will have before this season ends has skills we have'nt seen for a while and will exceed what a young Stephen Jackson showed fresh from OSU. I know you know this. I think Cody Wichmann can play anywhere we want him to play and he is a true lunchpail OL that has a VERY long stretch like Rob and Jamon both had playing till they finished their Senior year. Thats why I think G. Rob. is struggleing as he had such a short time in college and NEVER put his hand in the dirt in a pass pro offense. I believe Havenstein,Brown,Wichmann and our OT/OG Andrew Donnal even are way ahead of G. Rob in just playing more reps and Iowa and Wisconsin are two of college football OL factories as I'm sure your already aware of the coaches Like Ferentz that have turned down head coaching jobs in the NFL to just keep doing what they do.

We are gonna have a slow start (I'm sorry) due to opponent strength early and time to gel with our young but VERY talented guys. Even Tim Barnes will be a very good fit and won't stick out after at least 3 games and NO INJURIES to our young guns. People are tired of waiting as I am but .(DON'T SHOOT ME-THEN CHOP ME UP) but we are still a year away with a healthy Foles EVEN if we finally make the wildcard playoffs. Next year we are talkin SERIOUS shot at beating anyteam in the league good. If we keep our guys we have now healthy. PERIOD. No one wants to hear this. The FA fill in spots never worked for us but this home grown attempt with extra picks from RGIII trade have propelled us to new heights. We have the right position coaches and won't know if Cignetti is the man till I get a sample of how he makes adjustments on the fly.

I like our front office to stay if we have to change top coaches if Stan is not happy with same results (If that happens). We have very good position coaches. We can add depth with some very high quality PS players that just need some seasoning (Pasat/Longacre etc...). Not afraid of who we may lose next season as I know we will add to the mix also. Excited to see what Fairley may do if collarbone heals playing with our front 4. Being next to A. Donald and playing halfass just won't happen in the filmroom. You'd rather die.

I'm championing Cody Wichmann as I have Tim Barnes knowing all the facts and also know a couple real scouts who love the guy like I do. I'm sold. We really had one hell of a successfull draft this season. We filled future needs to the max. Its not gonna be another B.Jones waiting period. We got a real QB and qb coach that is top quality to fix his problems if G. Rob does'nt get him killed. Keep Saffolds and Brockers shoulders from becoming a reccuring problem. Shoulders with NFL Big Men is becoming a real problem in our league from kids lifting heavy from young ages thru becomming a Pro and the having them wear out. Doctors are saying we were'nt meant to handle it all. They will suffer as they get older. Just like thouroughbredHorses were'nt meant to do what they do. (they shoot horses don't they?). Too many.

So Alan trust me and my top Scout friends besides Coach O and what he's seen. Watch the USC game and project him after a year of our weightroom and core training weight moving around. Just like R. H. already has a major start on since precombine fatty. He has 40+ starts uninjured. I think had he stayed healthy we would have a very good decision to make on who should start for us with great depth. I have very high hopes if the Rapture does'nt happen first I get to see another WC-ship before I die. Hopefully in the LOO. They deserve it in spades.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Let's just hope their decision turns out to be a good one.
I see your point...he has missed a lot of reps:censored:...TC and PS games:wtf:.....How's this, I like him a bunch Alan, there, the LA Champ stamp of approval;)(y)....That should be all ya need...Put him in the HOF...LOL:ROFLMAO::D:p

Alan

Legend
GabesHorn with his outlook on the future of our team:
Stuff plus this: "Alan I highly respect you and your opinion and you speak very well and I know we would be great friends if we lived near each other. I'm sure we'd have our dissagrements too on how things are handled at One Rams place."

The feeling is mutual and thank you for the kind words. (y)
Although to be honest, you give me too much credit. I consider myself to be average at best when it comes to recognizing talent and in my knowledge of the intricacies of football in general. Though when I say that it puts me in some pretty good company considering how knowledgeable many of our posters are.

Lots of good stuff in your post and I agree with most of it. As usual, I have a couple of observations.

I share your less than enthusiastic endorsement of Coach Bou. I was totally amazed at the comment he made about how he recently "discovered" that Saffold had physical tendencies that made him more suitable for playing on the right side. Something everyone here knew a long time ago. I think he's just average at best. Which is exactly the same opinion I have of Fisher.

I also agree with you about the probability of a slow start. Again. Though it's for different reasons than those of past years.

I love the fact that you're passionate about Wichmann because experience has taught me that when someone who is very knowledgeable when it comes to evaluating players is that passionate about a player the probabilities of that player achieving at least a modicum of success is pretty high. Though I have to weigh that against the fact that most of the other experts I rely upon disagree with your assessment. Which of course is why he lasted until the 6th round. Of course you realize that your rep is on the line now. ;)

I'm hopeful as always though. I think we have some positives working for us, offensively and defensively. I went through the first half of my life being a Big Red fan and I've been a Blues fan my whole life so that has toughened me up considerably. :lifting: :LOL: If I have to wait until next year for us to make the playoffs then c'est la vie. It's really getting old though.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Despite where he was drafted, if Wichmann came in and stunk it up during his limited time, methinks he'd be on the practice squad (at best) as there would be no reason to keep him on the roster or expect anyone else to sign him to their roster.

But, he didn't. He played well and thus is on the team.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 coming to a decision:
I see your point...he has missed a lot of reps:censored:...TC and PS games:wtf:.....How's this, I like him a bunch Alan, there, the LA Champ stamp of approval;)(y)....That should be all ya need...Put him in the HOF...LOL:ROFLMAO::D:p
If it's good enough for you then I'm on board too. Though I have a couple of thoughts about that HOF thing. :LOL: