Cody Wichmann

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackKirby

UDFA
Name
JackKirby
Happy to see Cody make the squad. Sixth-round picks usually do not. I'm a big Fresno St. Fan; it's my Alma Mater and I watch as many of their games as possible. Even attend a couple a year as I live in So. Cal. Didn't watch any preseason games; I never do but I assume he impressed Jeff and his staff. Hope he sees some action; he was awesome at Fresno St. Go Rams! Go Cody! Help us become a competitive team this year.

Jack Kirby (The King)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He must have impressed the staff despite being limited by injury early.

Alan

Legend
CGI_Ram with this theory:
He must have impressed the staff despite being limited by injury early.
That might be true but nothing in their actions necessarily show that. Why did they keep Gurley? They kept Gurley because of his potential and not because they were impressed by anything they've seen because of course they haven't seen anything yet. I believe the same rational is in play with Wichmann.

Of course it would be awesome if we discover he's another diamond in the rough that Snisher has pulled out of their collective butts. Say what you want about Snisher's drafting abilities in the early rounds, they have without question found many diamonds in the lower rounds and among the UDFAs.

Limey

Rookie
Happy to see Cody make the squad. Sixth-round picks usually do not. I'm a big Fresno St. Fan; it's my Alma Mater and I watch as many of their games as possible. Even attend a couple a year as I live in So. Cal. Didn't watch any preseason games; I never do but I assume he impressed Jeff and his staff. Hope he sees some action; he was awesome at Fresno St. Go Rams! Go Cody! Help us become a competitive team this year.

Jack Kirby (The King)

Despite still limping due to his calf injury, he was pretty much the only lineman who wasn't pushed back at the LOS. I hadn't heard of him before they drafted him, but from what I read and what I saw pre-season I think he will be a fixture here for a few years and expect to see him starting before the end of next year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That might be true but nothing in their actions necessarily show that. Why did they keep Gurley? They kept Gurley because of his potential and not because they were impressed by anything they've seen because of course they haven't seen anything yet. I believe the same rational is in play with Wichmann.

Of course it would be awesome if we discover he's another diamond in the rough that Snisher has pulled out of their collective butts. Say what you want about Snisher's drafting abilities in the early rounds, they have without question found many diamonds in the lower rounds and among the UDFAs.

I don't get the correlation. Your comparing a first round top ten pick to a sixth rounder. It is common for fifth round and above to get cut.

jjab360

Legend
I don't get the correlation. Your comparing a first round top ten pick to a sixth rounder. It is common for fifth round and above to get cut.
Exactly. If the staff wasn't impressed with Wichmann they would've let him go just like 5th rounder Isaiah Battle.

fearsomefour

Legend
Wichmann is a G. A physical run blocking G.
He is not from a big program, not a program that is going to be on national tv and get a lot of national attention. But he is a powerful player. I think if he showed them that what they saw in college could transfer to the pro level he was a keep.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
He obviously showed more in his very limited time and action then Barrett Jones did in 3 years!

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome missing my point:
I don't get the correlation. Your comparing a first round top ten pick to a sixth rounder.
Where you were picked in the draft has nothing to do with the point I made in my post. Although of course, it actually does factor into why a team would keep a player on their roster despite no evidence they deserve to be on the roster but that wasn't my point. My point is that you can't say the Rams saw something in him that caused them to keep a roster spot open for him as they didn't actually get that chance. As I already stated, that might be true but there is not direct correlation between the two. What I said was that it's more probable that they kept him because he hasn't shown them that they were wrong to pick him in the 6th round of the draft. They did that because they saw something about him in his college tape that told them he might be of value to the team. Which is identical to their thought processes when they kept a spot open for Gurley. The only difference between the two of them was that they obviously had much greater confidence that Gurley would be successful than what they showed vis a vis Wichmann. Plus of course, the difference in the guaranteed money and the value of the resources used to acquire them but I wasn't referring to that aspect in my post.

And no, it isn't common for a player chosen in the lower rounds to get cut without even getting a look at him in action. If that were common as you assert it to be, can you give me a few examples? No UDFAs please as they are in a different category. It is common for players picked lower in the draft to be cut but that's only after they get a good look at them in TC and the preseason. Something which they didn't get with Wichmann.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Wichmann impressed me from what I saw of him. I don't know if I would trust him as a 16 starter, but I think I could be confident in him as a high quality backup. He showed more than Washington or any of those guys ever did. The guy is powerful and really moves people off the ball.

I have to say, Fisher and Snead have been excellent in the late rounds and inot UDFA. EJ Gaines, Johnny Hekker, Benny Cunningham, Rodney McLeod, Cory Harkey, Daren Bates, Cody Davis, Ethan Westbrooks, Trey Watts as just some of the names of guys who do great for us in both STs and offense and defense. We built a large core of our team on the unheralded guys, and it looks like guys like Williams, Wichmann, Hager are all going to be on similar levels as those guys.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 joining the crowd:
Exactly. If the staff wasn't impressed with Wichmann they would've let him go just like 5th rounder Isaiah Battle.
No, there is no "just like" similarity between the two players because they did get a look at Battle in action.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hope he sees some action
Naw, that would mean Saffold or Brown got hurt.

Wichmann has proven he belongs on this team in limited reps. He does...I liked him in college too (Check out Fresno vs SC)...Fresno St. is getting some small school rap in here too...Which, to me is false...Sorta like Boise St. & TCU...They had a slogan, a mantra...Anytime, anywhere...Their coach would travel to any school, and play...And for some time, it was very hard for them to get good games...you scared bro?
Yeah, they typically take the Pac-12 leftover talent, but due to California's riches in athletes...there's always plenty leftover for the Bulldogs. There defense used to be better, but I don't see them as much as I used to....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Has he ever played center? At any level?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Despite still limping due to his calf injury, he was pretty much the only lineman who wasn't pushed back at the LOS. I hadn't heard of him before they drafted him, but from what I read and what I saw pre-season I think he will be a fixture here for a few years and expect to see him starting before the end of next year.
Maybe he will turn out to be our next 'Jackie Slater'!!:D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Where you were picked in the draft has nothing to do with the point I made in my post. Although of course, it actually does factor into why a team would keep a player on their roster despite no evidence they deserve to be on the roster but that wasn't my point. My point is that you can't say the Rams saw something in him that caused them to keep a roster spot open for him as they didn't actually get that chance. As I already stated, that might be true but there is not direct correlation between the two. What I said was that it's more probable that they kept him because he hasn't shown them that they were wrong to pick him in the 6th round of the draft. They did that because they saw something about him in his college tape that told them he might be of value to the team. Which is identical to their thought processes when they kept a spot open for Gurley. The only difference between the two of them was that they obviously had much greater confidence that Gurley would be successful than what they showed vis a vis Wichmann. Plus of course, the difference in the guaranteed money and the value of the resources used to acquire them but I wasn't referring to that aspect in my post.

And no, it isn't common for a player chosen in the lower rounds to get cut without even getting a look at him in action. If that were common as you assert it to be, can you give me a few examples? No UDFAs please as they are in a different category. It is common for players picked lower in the draft to be cut but that's only after they get a good look at them in TC and the preseason. Something which they didn't get with Wichmann.

I disagree. They liked what they saw in the limited time they saw him. So they kept him on the roster. They did see him in practice a few weeks. If he was not able to show them anything due to injury they may have been willing to PS him. No way the keep him on the roster without seeing him at all, and not based on college tape.

jjab360

Legend
No, there is no "just like" similarity between the two players because they did get a look at Battle in action.
Wichmann got 85 snaps of preseason action, only 15 less than Battle with 100 snaps..

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome seeing things out of the corner of his eyes:
I disagree. They liked what they saw in the limited time they saw him. So they kept him on the roster. They did see him in practice a few weeks. If he was not able to show them anything due to injury they may have been willing to PS him. No way the keep him on the roster without seeing him at all, and not based on college tape.
You mean like what they did with ROK and Rhaney?

Like I said in my original post, there is the possibility that you and CGI could be right about this. I see it as a very low probability due to extremely limited viewing time and the fact that they didn't see him in any real action or very limited amount of action as @jjab360 just pointed out. Lots of guys look good in shorts. That's one of the reasons we have TC and the preseason games yes? Let's just hope their decision turns out to be a good one.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1580096-rams-rookie-cody-wichmann-returns-from-injury
NATE LATSCH
08/29/2015
St. Louis Rams sixth-round draft pick Cody Wichmann was injured early in an OTA practice but has made his return to the field this week after two months of recovery and rehab.

ST. LOUIS — The big injury-related news for the Rams this week was wide receiver Brian Quick getting cleared to play in the preseason and running back Todd Gurley being cleared to do more in practice. But another player worth watching returned to the practice field.

Offensive lineman Cody Wichmann was a sixth-round pick this spring out of Fresno State, but suffered a calf injury in the second practice session during rookie orientation weekend that kept him out of practice for the next two months. He returned to the practice field this week intent on trying to earn a spot on the 53-man roster.

“It was tough,” Wichmann said of sitting out with the injury. “I think the toughest part was seeing all the offensive linemen, all the rookies in particular, they are out here grinding every day, going through some intense camp practices. It’s tough not being there with them, but I’m finally back ready to go. I have to make up for some lost time.”

Wichmann suffered the injury to his left calf early in the offseason and has been rehabbing until returning to the practice field this week.

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Wichmann got 85 snaps of preseason action, only 15 less than Battle with 100 snaps..

Not only did we get a healthy look in the last 2 PS games but we have film on 40+ starts from Fresno State as this kid can dominate at the Pro level. I can't wait till his calf is 100% again. It won't be a bad thing if Saffold is replaced by Wichman at all. This guy once he has his year to grow like most change to a Pro athlete with a Pro's regime. This is as good a find in the 6th round as E.J. Gaines was in the Sixth round. Yes this is credit to the 30+ scouts on the Rams payroll that finds guys like this that are THE REAL DEAL. 40+ consecutive starts is the kind of player we want at his size before he gets in Pro shape. It proves his longevity and growth already. He's just gonna get better in our system and thats why we did'nt risk putting him on waivers after we had him in our camp even rehabbing he showed our guys how tough he was.

All I ask is you give this one guy a chance to show how he can make us better . He was a true find and like Jamon Brown from Louisville who was moved from OT to OG and went straight to work and has impressed many yet so many NFL teams passed on him for3+ rounds. Some have seen PB potential. Its only been suggested that Cody be tried at Center. I'm sure he could do it as good or better than most. being 6'6" means nothing. So is Cam Erving who will be the Browns center next season from FSU who played there for them as a SR. and was drafted in 1st round. I did'nt do a league wide search to check every starters height. We have two very tall QB's here. If you can raise your teams quality and strength anywhere you do it. So glad his calf injury is not a Lis Franc or back surgery to recover from as Barrett Jones had to struggle with. This won't take 3 years to know what we have. I promise. We will have a hard time keeping Cody from being a starter somewhere. This is A GOOD THING !!! Finally until then we have some REAL enexpensive DEPTH. NO INJURIES!!!

Alan

Legend
GabesHorn jumping in:
Not only did we get a healthy look in the last 2 PS games but we have film on 40+ starts from Fresno State as this kid can dominate at the Pro level. I can't wait till his calf is 100% again. It won't be a bad thing if Saffold is replaced by Wichman at all. This guy once he has his year to grow like most change to a Pro athlete with a Pro's regime. This is as good a find in the 6th round as E.J. Gaines was in the Sixth round. Yes this is credit to the 30+ scouts on the Rams payroll that finds guys like this that are THE REAL DEAL. 40+ consecutive starts is the kind of player we want at his size before he gets in Pro shape. It proves his longevity and growth already. He's just gonna get better in our system and thats why we did'nt risk putting him on waivers after we had him in our camp even rehabbing he showed our guys how tough he was.

All I ask is you give this one guy a chance to show how he can make us better . He was a true find and like Jamon Brown from Louisville who was moved from OT to OG and went straight to work and has impressed many yet so many NFL teams passed on him for3+ rounds. Some have seen PB potential. Its only been suggested that Cody be tried at Center. I'm sure he could do it as good or better than most. being 6'6" means nothing. So is Cam Erving who will be the Browns center next season from FSU who played there for them as a SR. and was drafted in 1st round. I did'nt do a league wide search to check every starters height. We have two very tall QB's here. If you can raise your teams quality and strength anywhere you do it. So glad his calf injury is not a Lis Franc or back surgery to recover from as Barrett Jones had to struggle with. This won't take 3 years to know what we have. I promise. We will have a hard time keeping Cody from being a starter somewhere. This is A GOOD THING !!! Finally until then we have some REAL enexpensive DEPTH. NO INJURIES!!!
A couple comments with thoughts about your second paragraph coming first:

I've said nothing about Wichmann's abilities, what he might bring to the table in the future or my opinion of his talent level so I'll do some of that now. You're preaching to the choir when it comes to keeping in horns for now. In fact, I'd have been disappointed had he been cut jst as I was disappointed that battle was cut. As I mentioned earlier and we seem to be in agreement here, Snisher has shown a proclivity for finding diamonds in the rough and since I haven't seen enough of him (though my confidence level concerning him is much lower than yours appears to be) to make an informed decision I'd like to see more before I take the drastic step of cutting him. But then I would say the same thing about Battle so...

So for me, TC is about 60% and the preseason games comprise about 40% of my evaluation of a player. Wichmann missed all of our TC and half of the preseason. He even missed most of the OTAs. Those percentages might not be the same as yours but for me that means it's a very small sample size of only 20% in which to judge his talent level. It's actually even less of of a full picture for me because of the level of competition he faced. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that none of our rookies got a fair evaluation. Normally you have vets who you don't need to evaluate but because we drafted about 20 O-linemen each of them probably got fewer reps than normal.