Coach's Tape - Austin Davis Struggled

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I read and analyze all of these jrry32, and you know that I have strongly disagreed on some of them. Most of these examples show a pretty good pocket, and enough perspective to see that Davis appears to have a window. This is one of the bad things that I have been seeing, that he's missing guys in his window of vision. You also caught one of the type of plays that I mentioned yesterday, that he will run into pressure sometimes.

I've studied film as a coach, and I should mention that in some of these plays, it's important to mention to look at the defenders hips, as an indication if they'd be able to get into the play if Davis makes a different decision. I'd have to side that in most of these they wouldn't be able to. I also want to mention that there is evidence of a few nice pockets, and separation, something we haven't seen much of in previous years. Even though Davis isn't tall, look at the one play where the OL opens a huge hole for him to see his two options. New Orleans is famous for this, because of Drew Brees.

What we don't know. Is Davis being told that one receiver is the main option, and this receiver should be open? I hope not, and I really don't think so. Most plays are built on at least two options, depending on where the LB's, and S's bite, but there are some specific "pick" plays designed to get one guy open.

I can make the argument that you cherry picked these, but of course you did, that is the whole point, but I could also make the case that there was some low hanging fruit to choose from. The common denominator, to me, is that he seems to panic, and then loses all his vision. He does a great job, in some cases, of extending the play, but for some reason can't pull the trigger, or can't see who is open, even if they are right in his sight line. This concerns me the most.

Can it be fixed? Can he get better? Can he be calmer in the pocket? Is he doing what the coaches are asking him to do? These are questions that I can't answer.

I would like to see some progression from him this week, maybe the clock will slow down a little. Maybe that little is enough where we can win some games with him. I know what Fisher said, but if he doesn't show some progression, and I mean fast, I think he'd be forced to make a change. Fisher doesn't play, or coach for draft picks, and the franchise needs to win as many as they can. We've been abysmal in that area for far too long. My hope, is that it all comes together for Davis, but I'm losing patience with him. I am feeling better about the team as a whole, however. I like what the rooks are bringing, they give me hope for the future.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I would never argue with your gut my friend. ;)
It's never failed me.

Problem is, when I was younger I used to rationalize-away what my gut was telling me to do... I guess because telling someone that you're going with your gut doesn't always make one look so smart.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read and analyze all of these jrry32, and you know that I have strongly disagreed on some of them. Most of these examples show a pretty good pocket, and enough perspective to see that Davis appears to have a window. This is one of the bad things that I have been seeing, that he's missing guys in his window of vision. You also caught one of the type of plays that I mentioned yesterday, that he will run into pressure sometimes.

I've studied film as a coach, and I should mention that in some of these plays, it's important to mention to look at the defenders hips, as an indication if they'd be able to get into the play if Davis makes a different decision. I'd have to side that in most of these they wouldn't be able to. I also want to mention that there is evidence of a few nice pockets, and separation, something we haven't seen much of in previous years. Even though Davis isn't tall, look at the one play where the OL opens a huge hole for him to see his two options. New Orleans is famous for this, because of Drew Brees.

What we don't know. Is Davis being told that one receiver is the main option, and this receiver should be open? I hope not, and I really don't think so. Most plays are built on at least two options, depending on where the LB's, and S's bite, but there are some specific "pick" plays designed to get one guy open.

I can make the argument that you cherry picked these, but of course you did, that is the whole point, but I could also make the case that there was some low hanging fruit to choose from. The common denominator, to me, is that he seems to panic, and then loses all his vision. He does a great job, in some cases, of extending the play, but for some reason can't pull the trigger, or can't see who is open, even if they are right in his sight line. This concerns me the most.

Can it be fixed? Can he get better? Can he be calmer in the pocket? Is he doing what the coaches are asking him to do? These are questions that I can't answer.

I would like to see some progression from him this week, maybe the clock will slow down a little. Maybe that little is enough where we can win some games with him. I know what Fisher said, but if he doesn't show some progression, and I mean fast, I think he'd be forced to make a change. Fisher doesn't play, or coach for draft picks, and the franchise needs to win as many as they can. We've been abysmal in that area for far too long. My hope, is that it all comes together for Davis, but I'm losing patience with him. I am feeling better about the team as a whole, however. I like what the rooks are bringing, they give me hope for the future.

It's tough. You don't want to kill his confidence but at the same time, you just can't justify keeping him as the starter if he isn't progressing. DCs are too smart in this league.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
It's tough. You don't want to kill his confidence but at the same time, you just can't justify keeping him as the starter if he isn't progressing. DCs are too smart in this league.

First off, foremost, that was an EXCELLENT breakdown @jrry32 !!!

Davis did not have a good game against the 49ers. And they are the #5 pass defense by QB rating so this is not shocking. That's after a bad game against KC. Things won't be much easier at Arizona, #8 in QB rating defense or hosting Denver who has the #9 pass rating defense. But then he gets three games against Washington, San Diego and Oakland who are all #25 or worse.

Your question about whether or not he's progressing is the real key here, to see if he can put it together against decent defensive teams, at least become a game manager and let the Rams D and running O win the games. That was the blueprint from day 1, maybe the SF game can be that turning point for the Rams D, though the Rams O still seems to be struggling to find something they do consistently well.

ausmurp

Starter
The two biggest mistakes he made were under throwing Britt and missing Kendricks on the easy TD. But what's strange about that is we've seen him hit on both of these throws already in his long TD pass to Quick and his play action TD to Kendricks earlier in the season.

Could it just be that they shook him up with so many blitzes? Is this something that is easily correctable? If he hits on both of those throws we essentially beat the shyte out of them...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There it is

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think Davis is losing some confidence. He knows his weak arm struggles to beat coverages now that he's been picked a few times. He needs get his crap together and make those reads. I hoped he puked after seeing some of the plays he missed, especially the Brutt and Kendricks plays.

This team is easily 5-3 with Sam, but that's actually not so bad. I just REALLY HOPR Davis isn't plateauing on us. Yes he took a step back but he was scared of his own shadow out there. Kap wasn't far off.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The two biggest mistakes he made were under throwing Britt and missing Kendricks on the easy TD. But what's strange about that is we've seen him hit on both of these throws already in his long TD pass to Quick and his play action TD to Kendricks earlier in the season.

Could it just be that they shook him up with so many blitzes? Is this something that is easily correctable? If he hits on both of those throws we essentially beat the shyte out of them...
And really, the pass to Britt was the right read, just a bad throw. So, it's not like he's missing open guys down the field every single time. He just threw it way short for some reason. If he didn't have enough juice to get it there, that's problematic. If he just didn't cut it loose or it slipped or whatever, then he'll make up for it next time.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Saw the game finally this morning
Kendricks was wide open..... Brit was wide open
we always always talk about our WR and TE's needing to get separation and when they do he can't find them... it was painful

But we won.... He did beat the 49ers
And between he and Colon Krapondick - he was the better quarterback in the end - you can't ignore that fact

I hope he gets that swagger back and I pray he has a dominate game this Sunday

goldenram

UDFA
But we won.... He did beat the 49ers
And between he and Colon Krapondick - he was the better quarterback in the end - you can't ignore that fact

I hope he gets that swagger back and I pray he has a dominate game this Sunday

Dieter's correct... AD was the better QB in the end with a W. AD has plenty of things that he can improve on and I believe that he can and will do just that. Alot of these troubles seemed to show up when our OL fell apart. He seems to be a little gun shy of the pocket collapsing and sometimes bales too soon. On Sunday though, Kapperchic was sacked 8 times to AD's 1 and fumbled the ball 3 times losing 2 to AD's 0. I believe he didn't look much better and his legs didn't buy him much time. The only thing KChic did better was hit his check downs at times which probably saved him having 0 ints to AD's 2. I think if we can get a little OL going and get AD just a little more time, I believe we will win some games and he'll look alot better.

RamWoodie

Legend
Davis did struggle, and it was pretty obvious it was because SF gave the kid trouble with his reads...that's the first thing you do to a young QB, get him thinking one way and show him something different after the snap.

It's no secret Davis also has a rough time reading the blitz...but let the kid keep growing. He also misses his favorite target...Quick! If he's smart he'll work to get rhythm with all the WRs.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Great post Jrry.

I think as Dr.RAM pointed out the main issue with Davis seems to be his hesitance of making a decision. I'm really not sure if the INT's rattled him so he didn't make those throws or what. I think most of those throws Bradford makes which is the drop off from #1 to #3. We have to live and die with what we have. I hope he plays better going forward. We all get frustrated with Schotty but when you look at these pics you can see in a lot of circumstances he's making good calls. Our biggest issue has been and seems to continue to be execution. If we ever clean that up we'll be a dangerous team.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Very good analysis. I think it breaks down and gives a better look at what a lot of us saw Sunday - a very rough outing from our young and inexperienced QB. The question in my mind as it has been all year is how well can AD grow and if so, how much? I really don't know but I hope he has a much higher ceiling than someone who is a perennial clipboard holder.

Another obvious question on many people's minds is if we would be better off going with Hill. I don't know the answer to this so I have always said that the coaches see way more than I so I will simply pull for the guy taking snaps in the game. I find it very hard to believe, however, that if Hill was a considerably better option, ALL things considered, that he wouldn't be starting in Davis' place.

The thing that is probably most difficult to answer in reviewing tape and stills is whether Davis' scrambling alters the positioning of the defense and/or the receivers. Would Hill stand in the pocket and with no real scrambling threat, the defenders stick better with their man? Would Hill take additional sacks because, though he isn't known as being a statue in the pocket, he isn't as elusive as AD, and do defenders take more of a straight line toward him as they don't have to respect that aspect of his game quite as much.

I think most if not everyone watching that game was less than impressed with AD's play on Sunday. I'd have to guess that AD was one of the least impressed. But was it all just exposing AD for his true abilities? Or was it something that he can overcome? Though it seemed clear that he was very rattled and lacked confidence, he did seem to do better as the game went on. I realize much of it was due to either adjustments made by the coaches and/or his lack of confidence to let the ball go but he controlled the ball better and his previous experience told him to head up field and get some yards rather than sliding way early or running out of bounds for no reason. But someone needs to get him some face time with the Oz so he can learn how to slide. That was ugly.

For me, the biggest problem seems to me that he is playing scared. The first and second interceptions both looked tentative. That INT with Britt wide open was a throw he has made before and there is no way that was short because he lacked enough strength to get it there.

But let's also acknowledge that this game was against SF and they have a way of preying on the QBs that aren't exactly top 10 caliber. And the last game was against KC who has been brutalizing some pretty good signal callers.

I like a lot of what Davis does. But I don't think anyone could watch the last two or three games and like what the saw out of that position and our offense really as a whole. The one consistent theme seems to be our inconsistency.

I for one would like to continue to see what we have in Davis. But if a change is made, I will fall right in behind Hill and figure that the coaches just weren't seeing the potential for improvement they felt necessary.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's never failed me.

Problem is, when I was younger I used to rationalize-away what my gut was telling me to do... I guess because telling someone that you're going with your gut doesn't always make one look so smart.

Yes. I was kidding with my earlier response. Gut is everything. My gut said the same thing. My brain, on the other hand, is backward rationalizing. :D

RamWoodie

Legend
For me, the biggest problem seems to me that he is playing scared. The first and second interceptions both looked tentative. That INT with Britt wide open was a throw he has made before and there is no way that was short because he lacked enough strength to get it there.

I didn't see it as Austin playing scared, so much as he played confused by the SF defense. After that second INT, he really played not to turn it over as well as to remain in the game.

I have no doubt if he would has thrown a 3rd pick he would have gotten yanked.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Davis is getting happy feet big time the last few games. Did he stay in the pocket and take any hits for a completion. As someone else pointed out Davis looks scared. If he doesn't stop this in the next game it's time to see what Keenum can do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Davis is getting happy feet big time the last few games. Did he stay in the pocket and take any hits for a completion. As someone else pointed out Davis looks scared. If he doesn't stop this in the next game it's time to see what Keenum can do.

Keenum is on the Practice Squad?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Agree.
I also think it's unfair to disregard his last 3 opponents.
Seattle, KC and SF have above average defenses. They make most QB's look like rookies.
KC made Tom Brady look like a jag.

In comes AZ. Also tough.
I still expect to see a more successful offense than we've seen the past 3 weeks......I hope.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree.
I also think it's unfair to disregard his last 3 opponents.
Seattle, KC and SF have above average defenses. They make most QB's look like rookies.
KC made Tom Brady look like a jag.

In comes AZ. Also tough.
I still expect to see a more successful offense than we've seen the past 3 weeks......I hope.

It's not the opponents, though. As the photos in the OP show, in this game, the opportunities were there. Davis just didn't take advantage.

Look, if the players weren't getting open and the OL wasn't blocking, I wouldn't blame Davis a bit. It's just hard for me to sit back there and be patient when the plays are there to be made and Davis isn't making them.

That roll-out was the worst of all. The play where he had Britt down the field and Cook wide open 3-5 yards away. He had two perfect options that were right in front of him on a 3rd and 11. Likely converts the 3rd down with either one. And he doesn't get the ball out in time. It wasn't a split second decision either. He had 3 or so steps to pick and still didn't make a decision.

His decision making in that game just seemed slow and timid. It's difficult to accept that. I want the team to win. Davis has gotta be the best guy for the job. I'm starting to have doubts that he is. We'll see how he does vs. Arizona.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's not the opponents, though. As the photos in the OP show, in this game, the opportunities were there. Davis just didn't take advantage.

Look, if the players weren't getting open and the OL wasn't blocking, I wouldn't blame Davis a bit. It's just hard for me to sit back there and be patient when the plays are there to be made and Davis isn't making them.

That roll-out was the worst of all. The play where he had Britt down the field and Cook wide open 3-5 yards away. He had two perfect options that were right in front of him on a 3rd and 11. Likely converts the 3rd down with either one. And he doesn't get the ball out in time. It wasn't a split second decision either. He had 3 or so steps to pick and still didn't make a decision.

His decision making in that game just seemed slow and timid. It's difficult to accept that. I want the team to win. Davis has gotta be the best guy for the job. I'm starting to have doubts that he is. We'll see how he does vs. Arizona.
That's fine and all but are you saying you couldn't pick out 4 - 6 plays in the other games that showed similar problems? I haven't reviewed them but to say that SF only screwed up against the Rams or that our blocking and route running was so much better that Austin had opportunities that the other QBs didn't, just strikes me as flawed.

Did he miss opportunities? Pretty hard to deny. Did he miss a bunch of opportunities that other QBs have not against the same defenses? I think you'd have to really watch the tape to see for sure.

Good job - eh? I just gave myself an assignment. I'll work on that but don't blame me if my dog eats my homework. Of course you can't honestly expect me to post it if it doesn't answer my question in my favor. :cool:

Might have to fall to sleep to NFL Rewind. BTW @jrry32 How are you doing the screen captures?