Coaching Philosophy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The rose colored glasses of the silly season are out in full force, like Wayfarers on the beach. Every draft pick looks like a genius move, free agents fill every hole from the previous roster, and the coaches all have expert pedigrees that point the team toward stardom. I read all the same reports from 32 teams with a jaundiced eye.

But the real groundwork for success in the NFL this time of year lies in the hands of the coaches. How the leadership teaches and plans development is the critical factor now that rosters have been formed. Injuries can derail even the best laid plans and it's how the depth is developed now that will make or break a season filled with inevitable losses. Good teams make sure the next man up is ready and won't be the weak link that the opposition can exploit and wreck a gameplan.

The greatest difference between last year's regime and the current staff led by Sean McVay is a focus on teaching methods that support a simpler, sounder system. Let's begin with the defense. Gregg Williams is a good coach but inferior to Son of Bum. Williams (like Haslett) is a gambler who crafts impact plays that at times creates confusion for the offense, but too often confuses his own players. He preaches passion and accountability. He will use techniques that will either motivate a man to greater things (Ogletree) or push them to the brink of quitting (Joyner). I suppose if all 11 players sell out on every play, they could overcome Williams' propensity for getting out-coached (see Niners, Bucs, Lions, Saints, 2nd Cards game, Patriots, Falcons) as a playcaller, but I was consistently disappointed more in the scheme than I was with the players last year. I believe Fisher and the players would agree. In contrast, Phillips is a teacher first and foremost. He's more interested in focusing on the fundamentals of the game than on supporting a bounty system, encouraging players to get in the opponents heads, or turning the men into wild dogs who care only how far they can bend the rules. Phillips engenders trust and builds men up to care about their assignments within a scheme that has solutions for most of the problems an offense will pose. He has a tried and true teaching method that supports his system and allows the players to build on their strengths and mask their deficiencies.

Yet as much of a disparity as there is between Williams and Phillips, the potential excitement everyone feels about this team centers on the competence being displayed on the offensive side of the ball. How many times did each of us see the offense line up and in our hearts we knew the play was doomed to failure before the snap of the ball and then watch in horror as they ran the exact play we knew was coming and get the same results we saw dozens of times in the past? Did Boras ever establish an identity for the offense beyond ineptitude? There were some flash plays and stretches where it appeared that success was possible, but I've never seen fewer on a Ram team and I go back to the 60's. In contrast, McSnead began by hiring proven quarterback coaches, an OLine coach that produced the #1 rushing attack in football, and followed that by plugging the chasm at LT with an All-Pro, acquiring a couple accomplished route runners, drafting a potential difference maker at TE, moving OLine players to positions where they have a chance to succeed, and taking a QB who felt "lost" for an entire year and making him feel "confident" and capable in what he's learned so far.

While i realize I'm wearing something now that makes everything look rosy, allow me to set down my shades and take a breath. While everything that's happened since Sean was hired is an undeniable improvement, the game of football is so complex and injuries can derail even the best of teams (imagine the consequences of losing Donald, Tree, Johnson, Goff, Whitworth, or Gurley). As raw as the TE position is, as long as it takes for a passing game to develop chemistry, as long as it takes for an OLine to form cohesion, and as long as it takes for a second year QB in a new system to develop the mental acuity to outthink defensive coordinators with decades of experience in tricking signal callers, is how long it will take to elevate this team to the heights we all expect to see.

So while we may have to wait a year for the plan to develop, at least we can enjoy the progress and process that is now in place.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still think we immensely helped Williams with our front 7, really our 2 man wrecking crew of Donald & Quinn...Those two players would make any defense look good...Add in JJ, Tru, McDonald...man we under-performed.

The coaching has been upgraded...mainly by finding guys that have changed with the league...Which Fisher was either unable to do, or unwilling. And I think it's the latter.

Ram65

Legend
Very nice read @leoram. Williams missed Quinn's pass rush. Too many missed assignments in the secondary over the years. Too much cushion given to WRs. Getting burned on blitzes. . Fisher tried the old school way had some success against the Hags and the division. He just didn't do anything on offense. It was time for a change.

Before an official snap has been made the Rams have made what seemingly has been the right moves to change the losing ways. One move after another from the head coach to the draft and everything in between looks great. The addition of players wanting to help teammates like Whitworth and Woods has lead the way to the knew we mentality. It will be fun to see how the new coaches, players and thinking workout on the field.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Yeah, very nice read @leoram; thanks for putting it into words why I'm extremely excited and optimistic about the upcoming season!!! Thanks!!!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good post and I would bet all my Rod $$$ that one of those leo mentioned will miss time due to injury. It goes with the game.

I've been watching the Rams since the late 50's, and there have been some pretty bad seasons. But last season was the hardest to watch out of all of them.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Good post and I would bet all my Rod $$$ that one of those leo mentioned will miss time due to injury. It goes with the game.

I've been watching the Rams since the late 50's, and there have been some pretty bad seasons. But last season was the hardest to watch out of all of them.

I dunno, we still won 4 games. Gotta be better than Spag's last season. Anything is better than that. Gurley would prolly call that one a "pre-school offense".
Last year we still had talent on the field that made some plays worth watching. The Spags era was so inept & devoid of talent it, it took Fisher 4 years to rebuild the team to watchability, then gave them all a nice summer vacation so they can lay an egg on the field last year, but they still had moments. It was just time to move on, Fisher & Williams weren't going to get the team any further.
Cautiously excited about this year. I remember how long it took "sack city" to get a sack a few years ago, then got cranked up mid-season, so this team may have some wrinkles to iron out at first, but by mid-season.... look out.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I still say that some of you guys are selling Fisher and GW short in terms of the defense that was put on the field the last few seasons. It was playoff caliber. Could have played with anyone.
Denver's bad offense(but not as horrifically bad as ours) and Wade's excellent defense won 9 games last year.

Doesn't matter though, what's done is done. Time to move forward.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like that our new offense and defense use more simple terms and assignments.

I believe this got left behind over the years as Fisher evolved philosophically (or one could argue - failed to evolve).

The league is built for rapid roster turnover. Players need to be able to get on the field and play fast quickly. That never seemed to happen under Fisher.

Success is sometimes found in a collection of small changes. I believe this is an important one.

SierraRam

Recreational User
The rose colored glasses of the silly season are out in full force, like Wayfarers on the beach. Every draft pick looks like a genius move, free agents fill every hole from the previous roster, and the coaches all have expert pedigrees that point the team toward stardom. I read all the same reports from 32 teams with a jaundiced eye.

But the real groundwork for success in the NFL this time of year lies in the hands of the coaches. How the leadership teaches and plans development is the critical factor now that rosters have been formed. Injuries can derail even the best laid plans and it's how the depth is developed now that will make or break a season filled with inevitable losses. Good teams make sure the next man up is ready and won't be the weak link that the opposition can exploit and wreck a gameplan.

The greatest difference between last year's regime and the current staff led by Sean McVay is a focus on teaching methods that support a simpler, sounder system. Let's begin with the defense. Gregg Williams is a good coach but inferior to Son of Bum. Williams (like Haslett) is a gambler who crafts impact plays that at times creates confusion for the offense, but too often confuses his own players. He preaches passion and accountability. He will use techniques that will either motivate a man to greater things (Ogletree) or push them to the brink of quitting (Joyner). I suppose if all 11 players sell out on every play, they could overcome Williams' propensity for getting out-coached (see Niners, Bucs, Lions, Saints, 2nd Cards game, Patriots, Falcons) as a playcaller, but I was consistently disappointed more in the scheme than I was with the players last year. I believe Fisher and the players would agree. In contrast, Phillips is a teacher first and foremost. He's more interested in focusing on the fundamentals of the game than on supporting a bounty system, encouraging players to get in the opponents heads, or turning the men into wild dogs who care only how far they can bend the rules. Phillips engenders trust and builds men up to care about their assignments within a scheme that has solutions for most of the problems an offense will pose. He has a tried and true teaching method that supports his system and allows the players to build on their strengths and mask their deficiencies.

Yet as much of a disparity as there is between Williams and Phillips, the potential excitement everyone feels about this team centers on the competence being displayed on the offensive side of the ball. How many times did each of us see the offense line up and in our hearts we knew the play was doomed to failure before the snap of the ball and then watch in horror as they ran the exact play we knew was coming and get the same results we saw dozens of times in the past? Did Boras ever establish an identity for the offense beyond ineptitude? There were some flash plays and stretches where it appeared that success was possible, but I've never seen fewer on a Ram team and I go back to the 60's. In contrast, McSnead began by hiring proven quarterback coaches, an OLine coach that produced the #1 rushing attack in football, and followed that by plugging the chasm at LT with an All-Pro, acquiring a couple accomplished route runners, drafting a potential difference maker at TE, moving OLine players to positions where they have a chance to succeed, and taking a QB who felt "lost" for an entire year and making him feel "confident" and capable in what he's learned so far.

While i realize I'm wearing something now that makes everything look rosy, allow me to set down my shades and take a breath. While everything that's happened since Sean was hired is an undeniable improvement, the game of football is so complex and injuries can derail even the best of teams (imagine the consequences of losing Donald, Tree, Johnson, Goff, Whitworth, or Gurley). As raw as the TE position is, as long as it takes for a passing game to develop chemistry, as long as it takes for an OLine to form cohesion, and as long as it takes for a second year QB in a new system to develop the mental acuity to outthink defensive coordinators with decades of experience in tricking signal callers, is how long it will take to elevate this team to the heights we all expect to see.

So while we may have to wait a year for the plan to develop, at least we can enjoy the progress and process that is now in place.

Another outstanding post @leoram. Thank you for expressing many of my beliefs with your sense of eloquence

I believe it was@bubbaramfan who said in another thread, "last year was the hardest year to watch..". I agree! And I think it was all on the coaching. Now, I sense a new, positive beginning and that's all on the coaching too!

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
861ef8e34477043d3fc6b07d371be892.jpg

PjsXFJ1.gif

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
I'm hoping McVay will still allow the Special Teams the chance to pull off more fakes. Allow Fassel to get creative. Maybe even try to block some punts?