Coach Venturi on the Rams' Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
[101]https://soundcloud.com/101sports/zach-and-rammer-9-18-13-10[/101]

I really don't think I can add anything to what Venturi says. I agree with him 100% and have been saying the exact same things. It's just nice to know that an actual respected NFL coach is seeing the same things.

Like he says, it's getting tough to watch.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Yup, that about covers it. At first, (game 1), I understood the need to begin slowly, but now it's hard to defend what's been happening in coverage and why. I wish Fisher or someone on his staff would address some of these concerns.

TexRamFan

Rookie
The only thing Venturi and the common fans have in common is the fact we are not seeing what is going on in practice. I refuse to believe this is something as simple as what Venturi says it is.

There has to be a deeper reasoning behind the defensive scheme.

I would just love to hear a detailed explination on what Fisher and the staff's reasoning is behind what they have done. Of course that will never happen.

I would complain but if you step back and look, it is still a roster that is 1.5 years removed from one of the oldest and least talented in the league and we have been in both games at the end and continue to improve. Plus, it's only been 2 games.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
TexRamFan said:
The only thing Venturi and the common fans have in common is the fact we are not seeing what is going on in practice. I refuse to believe this is something as simple as what Venturi says it is.

There has to be a deeper reasoning behind the defensive scheme.

I would just love to hear a detailed explination on what Fisher and the staff's reasoning is behind what they have done. Of course that will never happen.

I would complain but if you step back and look, it is still a roster that is 1.5 years removed from one of the oldest and least talented in the league and we have been in both games at the end and continue to improve. Plus, it's only been 2 games.
Preach it, brother!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good listen. I always enjoy hearing Venturi talk x's and o's.
I will say that at this point i trust Fisher in that there's a method to this coverage madness. Its been brought up that they're grooming these young safeties along etc...that makes sense,but i refuse to believe that Fisher would do that and at the same time jeopardize winning.

Being down 3-24 at halftime throws all schemes and gameplanning out the window so...maybe the Atlanta game was just a misfortunate situation. Idk.

The Dallas matchup(Rams D vs Cowboys O) is similiar to Atlanta so maybe if we can put together a mistake free start in the next few games,we'll see this "soft" coverage slowly progress into getting more aggressive and
pro-active. I hope so. Venturi is no Jeff Fisher but his analysis is valid.

FLramFAN

Rookie
Mojo Ram said:
Good listen. I always enjoy hearing Venturi talk x's and o's.
I will say that at this point i trust Fisher in that there's a method to this coverage madness. Its been brought up that they're grooming these young safeties along etc...that makes sense,but i refuse to believe that Fisher would do that and at the same time jeopardize winning.

Being down 3-24 at halftime throws all schemes and gameplanning out the window so...maybe the Atlanta game was just a misfortunate situation. Idk.

The Dallas matchup(Rams D vs Cowboys O) is similiar to Atlanta so maybe if we can put together a mistake free start in the next few games,we'll see this "soft" coverage slowly progress into getting more aggressive and
pro-active. I hope so. Venturi is no Jeff Fisher but his analysis is valid.

My gut feeling is similar. I think Fish is forcing these guys to learn and play the BASE defense well, to know it backwards and forwards, inside out and upside down. THEN they'll start to use more press coverage and play more man-to-man coverage.

It's tough to watch because there could very well be 4-5 more sacks that the rams could have racked up if they had just been able to take away some of those 8 yard give away routes. That said, it's certainly possible that allowing those 8 yard passes has save the team from several long TDs. It's all just a guessing game at what "would have" happened.

I'm confused about the similar approach with the offense. The team is built to run a spread, up-tempo game but Fish seems to want to run a more traditional offense unless the team is down by 3 TDs and the game's in the 2nd half. Is this the walk before you run scenario again? I wish I at least knew.

Just seems like the Rams have all these "horses" but he's corralling them himself.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Depressing. Especially when Coach said that D is their style. :boohoo:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
You know...I always like to listen to the insight of former coaches, especially when it comes to scheme.

But the thing that never sits well with me in regard to Venturi is the fact he's never had more than marginal success as a coach.

His days as a HC in both college and the pros was especially bad. You look at him as a DC and his teams only had a few bright spots.

I think his opinion has value...but tread lightly.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sum1BTRthnU said:
You know...I always like to listen to the insight of former coaches, especially when it comes to scheme.

But the thing that never sits well with me in regard to Venturi is the fact he's never had more than marginal success as a coach.

His days as a HC in both college and the pros was especially bad. You look at him as a DC and his teams only had a few bright spots.

It's true. They do bring valuable insight, but more often than not they're just airing their opinions like everyone else. Hannifan is maybe the only one that I take 100% seriously. Vermeil is always overly optimistic about this team, and that's understandable, so you have to take the other end of the spectrum with the same grain of salt. And the beat writers? Fuhgedaboudit.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I said during the offseason that I expected the team to be 7 and 9 or 8 and 8 simply because largly this will be a learning year. Both offensive and defensive side of the ball.

Going forward I expect alot of close games. And im happy with that considering where we have come from in the pasr decade. Atleast we are still in the games late instead of blowouts.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk 2

RamzFanz

Damnit
Mojo Ram said:

Forget halftime. They were 21-0 with 11:41 left in the second quarter! THAT'S when you say, hey, this isn't working!

Guess what, in the final 12 minutes, they scored 21 points.

There was no misfortune here. Their plan sucked. I'm just saying that at 21 down early in the second quarter, ANY person playing to win says, release the Bradford. What do you have to lose? Could the Rams have gone to half time 21-14 and rested their D then? SURE.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
It's really hard to not think very highly about someone who sees exactly what you see. It was just like listening to RamsAddiction, I agreed with everything they said and Coach Venturi's comments mirrored them completely. As soon as he says something I disagree with I'll heed all the warnings. :lol:

fearsomefour

Legend
I for one am not worried about it.
I think the idea (as stated) is to elimate the big, quick score (due to rookie errors in the secondary) keep the plays in front the D and tackle well.
If it were not for 2 strange pick 6 plays (to D lineman no less!!) the Rams would have given up 41 point in two games....not the Steel Curtain but certainly not bad either. If they can keep teams around that 20 point average per game the Rams will have a chance to win most games.
I also picked them at 7-9 or 8-8 due to the learning curve issues at S and on offense. This is a team I could see running off 4 or 5 wins in a row later in the year. Right now, it will be a week to week close game thing.
If the Rams O can start quicker and put some pressure on the other teams O (play caller) to respond we may see more turnovers come our way.
I expect the D (and O) to evolve and get more creative as the season moves on. I still think this season is setting the stage for the next couple of years. One thing we know, Fisher is disciplined. The plan is there and he and Snead are sticking to it, come hell or high water. A couple of close loses is not going to change that.

V3

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
It's really hard to not think very highly about someone who sees exactly what you see. It was just like listening to RamsAddiction, I agreed with everything they said and Coach Venturi's comments mirrored them completely. As soon as he says something I disagree with I'll heed all the warnings. :lol:

I respect his opinion whether I agree with him or not. Just like I don't really care what Softli says whether he agrees with me or not.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
V3 reminding me to use blue font:
I respect his opinion whether I agree with him or not. Just like I don't really care what Softli says whether he agrees with me or not.

As soon as he says something I disagree with I'll heed all the warnings. :lol:

There, that's better. :bg:

I'm on board with your view on Softli too.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Sum1BTRthnU said:

I agree, but at least he can talk actual football. While you can disagree with his opinion, at least it makes sense and he makes a point for his argument.

I actually think he makes a great analysis. Hence the word analysis. There's a difference in analyzing a play/game after it's over and telling what when wrong in great detail, than being able to actually make the right play call yourself in the game. 99.9% of all coaches even at small college level can do this, you just have to have the personality to articulate it on radio/tv.

It's not the same with the radio "scouts" and "talent evaluators" which consist of old GMs/scouts that may have lost their job, because these people are still predicting the future.

That said, listening to Ricks game plans for the next weeks opponent was pretty damn fun and interesting when he used to do it. It was a great way to hear how a coach would go about specifically attacking the weaknesses of the other team, and match ups to watch for. It was so much better than anything else they've have/had.

Right now listening to 101 (especially since Bernies gone) is the equivalent of listening to a couple of 11 year olds on Ram stalk bitch.