Coach Venturi on Pro Football Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Coach Venturi joins Pro Football Sunday to take a look at the upcoming season for the St. Louis Rams.

[101]96134906[/101]
<a class="postlink" href="https://soundcloud.com/101sports/rick-venturi-6-9-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://soundcloud.com/101sports/rick-venturi-6-9-2013</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's a link underneath the audio.
I haven't seen any Brian Quick interviews yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

lockdnram21

Legend
Ok I was asking because friday softli said he would have a interview from quick on sports sunday

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Rick Venturi Interview Highlights

**Sees 7-10 win season for the Rams…Rams play AFC/NFC South…two elite teams from those divisions (Houston/Atlanta)….Rams will need to win 5 of the 8 games vs. the South divisions to get to 10 wins.

**How do you stop the read-option? It forces tremendous safety play, playing both run/pass…defending the alleys…running and passing….more pressure off the edge.

**Tim Walton-What to expect? Will have a great affect on the back end…has rep for developing players….the Rams have a lot of unrefined talent in the Rams
secondary…they have to grow and take it another step. Look for Walton to add more press coverage…Fisher defense with wrinkles.

**McDonald and the Safeties? Biggest question mark on the defense. The onus is going to be on the safeties… I see both of them as strong safeties. Both will strike you…play tremendously with ball in front of them. The biggest issue you will have is defending the inside slot guys and the quality of those players in the NFC West…can they play in space against those kind of players. The Rams will probably use the LB’s and play more match up and run with people in the seams to help those safeties
That wasn't very encouraging. So what's needed to stop the Seahags and the Whiners is your safeties which is the weakest part of our defense. :=:)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:

**Sees 7-10 win season for the Rams…Rams play AFC/NFC South…two elite teams from those divisions (Houston/Atlanta)….Rams will need to win 5 of the 8 games vs. the South divisions to get to 10 wins.

**How do you stop the read-option? It forces tremendous safety play, playing both run/pass…defending the alleys…running and passing….more pressure off the edge.

**Tim Walton-What to expect? Will have a great affect on the back end…has rep for developing players….the Rams have a lot of unrefined talent in the Rams
secondary…they have to grow and take it another step. Look for Walton to add more press coverage…Fisher defense with wrinkles.

**McDonald and the Safeties? Biggest question mark on the defense. The onus is going to be on the safeties… I see both of them as strong safeties. Both will strike you…play tremendously with ball in front of them. The biggest issue you will have is defending the inside slot guys and the quality of those players in the NFC West…can they play in space against those kind of players. The Rams will probably use the LB’s and play more match up and run with people in the seams to help those safeties
That wasn't very encouraging. So what's needed to stop the Seahags and the Whiners is your safeties which is the weakest part of our defense. :=:)

But he also said he would rather have the two potential starting safeties we have this year than the two that started last year. We played both the seacocks and whiners pretty tough last year and had virtually no offensive firepower. Our safeties are more athletic and if Kap or Wilson want to tuck and run, they can lay the wood as can Dunbar and Tree. So yeah - safety is still a concern until they prove otherwise but still less of a concern than last year.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
My favorite part was at 11:05 referring to last years starting Safties as "total liabilities" :rofl:

As he stated, may as well go with young liabilities who can at least run. I'm not worried about TJ McDonald, saw enough of him as a Ucla fan, I like the pick. Darian Stewart to me is a stop gap, either 1) one of the udfa's from last or this year could eventually step into the role or 2) they'll address it (the 2nd S) thru next years draft.

my unsolicited two cents

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 correctly pointed out:
But he also said he would rather have the two potential starting safeties we have this year than the two that started last year. We played both the seacocks and whiners pretty tough last year and had virtually no offensive firepower. Our safeties are more athletic and if Kap or Wilson want to tuck and run, they can lay the wood as can Dunbar and Tree. So yeah - safety is still a concern until they prove otherwise but still less of a concern than last year.
Three things:
1) Good point about last years safeties but that doesn't pertain to a Seahag team with Harvin on the roster. In addition, the Whiners drafted another good TE (Escobar) to go with Davis.
2) I agree with him about the safety play being critical and the horrible quality of last years group being greatly improved by who we have this year. I think that will be true eventually and not the first year. I anticipate many blown assignments and overruns by both McD and Stewart.
3) I wanted to use that crying Smiley.

As I said before (possibly at The Huddle), I expect us to split the games with both those teams but I think we're gonna beat them because of our improved offense and not because of improved safety play.

OC--LeftCoast wrote:
My favorite part was at 11:05 referring to last years starting Safties as "total liabilities" :rofl:

I really loved that too.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
albefree69 said:

Cmon now Albe. We stopped them last season with less talent. I see no reason as to not stopping them this season. Just sayin

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:

don't sweat it Albe, the safety's we had last year were certainly not off the top shelf, and we did good, real good agin the whiners & hags. With two young guys that can run we have to be better than with two older guys that couldn't .
Plus and huge one, it new DC Tim Walton
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
albefree69 said:

I kinda figured that your LBs were used more to stop that type of O, but Venturi knows a lot more than I do.

I am counting on AO to use that wicked speed to make Wilson and the Bicep Licker hesitant when they are on the move, or at least less effective because they are scanning the field for them rather than receivers.

nighttrain

Legend

A healthy Stewart, high pick MacDonald, and 4.4 Cody Davis with Tim Walton, i'm liking this with the CB's we have.
train

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
nighttrain said:

A healthy Stewart, high pick MacDonald, and 4.4 Cody Davis with Tim Walton, i'm liking this with the CB's we have.
train

Let's not forget about the other young safeties on the roster. McLeod showed a lot of promise last year, and I still have high hopes for Daniels.

I'm not all that worried about the safety position, to be honest. I think McDonald and Stewart are the starters with McLeod (who doubles as a fifth cornerback), Daniels, and Davis as backups.