Coach McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The shecocks werent gonna let Gurley beat them
So they should have just forced it on Gurley?

Of course not.

That said, I am of the thought that they gave up way too soon.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Players play....this isn't on McVay....unless he's the reason Tavon is still punt returner after the muff, Gurley is still the RB after fumbling against Washington...and Goff is throwing screens too high...or Kupp is dropping slants...that's McVay doing all that????

Players play....we made mistakes...our HC is doing ok...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
McVay gets the plays into Goff extremely fast... one of the reasons you see us playing some no huddle hurry up these days.

Giving the play calling to someone else will slow down the process... not speed it up.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
McVay has to stop abandoning the run, especially in the red-zone. I don't want him to give up play-calling duties, but he's gotta learn from his mistakes today. He abandoned what we do well in the second half.
He abandoned Gurely for 2 or 3 straight series in the first half. That to me is not acceptable. He also got away from what has been working lately, the jet sweep fake. Also no passes to gurley. Seemed like he over thought some of the game plan. In this case I think he should be reminded of the old adage, if ain't broke don't fix it.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gurley wasn't effective in this game, I don't know why, I'll have to watch more film. But he only got 43 yards on 14 attempts, and on 4 targets he only caught 2 for a total of 7 yards, he had 1 for 6 yards!
That’s my point Gurley had like 32 yards on 7 carries almost a 5 yard clip then after the fumble they went away from him. McVay frozed our running game allowed the Seattle defense to get too much momentum and confidence then Every run was to the outside that got stuff.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay gets the plays into Goff extremely fast... one of the reasons you see us playing some no huddle hurry up these days.

Giving the play calling to someone else will slow down the process... not speed it up.

No it won’t because McVay has to worry about penalties whether to accept or decline he has to worry about injuries, he has to focus on so much during the game that his attention is everywhere.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
No it won’t because McVay has to worry about penalties whether to accept or decline he has to worry about injuries, he has to focus on so much during the game that his attention is everywhere.

The play calling has sped up tremendously compared to last year. If you watch Goff on most plays this year... his cadence pre snap is totally different. He has the whole offense lined up usually with more than 10 seconds left on the play clock. They're all already lined up,,, the play was called early on, and because of that you see Goff not only trying his best to draw the defense off-sides... but you can also see him trying to get the D to show their play/coverage pre-snap with PLENTY of time to spare. It's like night and day from last season. Hell, I think McVay sometimes has the call in so fast that he is still in communication with Goff in the headset when the O is lined up... it's very impressive to me.

Some of the very best HCs in this league call their own plays on offense.

When a penalty is called... the clock stops. The HC has more than enough time to consider the penalty. Hell, the refs will even have a mini conference with a coach about what happens either way on a penalty at the sideline if the coach wants clarification. There's no rush there.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Abandoned the run too fast.

Didn't like his time out usage.

Play-calling seemed scared at times and reminded me of Fisher ball.

Bad day for McVay. I still like him a lot but he needs to be better than he was this past week.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No excuses... We scored 10. Realistically we left 10 for sure on the field. But bottom line, we scored 10 points. Also, who said I am sure or even think that La Fleur is a better play caller than McVay?

Well, that's pretty relevant to whether or not he should give up play-calling duties. If LaFleur isn't better, how does it make our team better?