Coach breaks down battle with Baltimore

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
00e5f0575f0e4d48a07b467.png

http://www.101sports.com/category/rvent ... Baltimore/

It’s not like the fan base isn’t conditioned to seeing some bad football around here, but I don’t think anyone can frame Saturday night’s Cowboy game as anything other than “bad”. It was particularly disappointing coming off a solid performance against Kansas City, not to mention, you were looking at a Dallas Cowboy team missing 5 of their top 7 guys due to injuries. No one wants to jump the plank based on a preseason game, but it is disturbing when your number 1’s get dominated by a 2nd edition of the Cowboys. To be outgained in the first half, 342 yards to 114 yards, is disconcerting.

The back end play of the Rams was incredibly bad with an array of busted coverages, puzzling ultra cushion coverage, and simply getting beat. If you add the inability to tackle you have a gumbo of disaster. The lack of tackling was not isolated to one group, but was evident from veterans Laurinaitis and Dahl, to rookies Johnson and Jenkins. The defense appeared to take the recently legislated no contact practices (of the collective bargaining agreement) to the games as well. Tony Romo had his way with the secondary completing 9 of 13 for 180 yards in one quarter, despite a pedestrian receiver corps.

The run defense needs to shore up before the Rams get into the ground and pound NFC West. Brockers IS improving every week, and Quinn is bringing heat of the right edge, but is still a liability on runs at him. The Rams need to get much more out of Langford, who, again, was non-existent. The Rams got some pressure with the rush, but minimized it by playing so far off at corner that Romo and Orton were able to release balls to wide open receivers. If you aggressively press receivers on a 5 man rush, you disrupt the routes, and buy yourself a full count on the rush.

On offense, the Rams struggled all day, even though the Cowboys played without their outstanding outside backers Ware and Spenser. Ratliff jammed the inside game at nose tackle, and then defensive coordinator Rob Ryan mixed 4,5 and 6 man rushes to swarm and take away the passing game. While I thought it was wise to get good looks at rookie running backs Pead and Richardson, I found it puzzling that we didn’t see rookie receivers Givens and Quick with the good guys. The Rams continue to get ZERO separation in the vital areas of third down and the red zone. Unfortunately, we’ve seen this tape before.

The pass rush again ruined the Rams’ day. The problem at right tackle is ongoing, but the play of Ojinaka at left guard was a real problem and allowed push on Bradford inside all day. Bradford struggled as the game went on and the ‘Boys gained momentum. His accuracy fell off and he got still in the pocket. When things go good for him early and he’s in a quick rhythm, he’s fine, but when things begin to go poorly, he tends to play straight line and loses awareness and accuracy. This is something he’s got to overcome, if he’s going to be a front line guy. The great quarterback is a guy who can elevate his team when they are up against it, and Sam needs to come to grips with this!

The good news is the Rams can kick the ball, and Pead was impressive on returns. The other good news is that Coach Fisher plans to play his regulars into the third quarter Thursday night, so they may be able to wash this stinker a way. Maybe, also, this will give the Rams’ brain trust a way to look at those young receivers this week. Also, as a sidebar, the Rams have successfully done everything possible on tape to have the Detroit Lions over look them.

When you break down the Ravens, you wish they were coming in to play their regulars so the Rams would be getting a real test from a team that was a dropped pass and missed chip shot field goal away from the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, I think you’ll see a bunch of backups and a more “vanilla” plan. For this piece I will pretend that the real Ravens are going to play and frame the game plan accordingly.

The first thing the Rams’ defense must be alert for is the Ravens’ newly shaped “no huddle’ and quick tempo offense. The Rams must communicate the defenses from the sidelines and echo it throughout and be set to play. Once set, you must focus on stopping Ray Rice. He is in the conversation of best “all purpose” running back in the league with 1,364 rushing yards and 76 catches for an additional 704 yards last season. He is the most consistently explosive player on the team.

The receiver corps has been bolstered by Torrey Smith, who emerged as a real deep threat last year in his rookie year. Though still not a route runner, and still an inconsistent catcher, this guy can top a defense and make you pay as he did consistently in last year’s breakout game versus the Rams. You don’t have to double him, but please keep him in front.

Anquan Bolden on the other side and in the slot is one of the best situational receivers in the game. Though not a deep threat, he is a monster on 3rd down and in the red zone. You don’t have to lean to him on unknown downs, but in those special situations, you must take him away with design. The other receiving threats are their young tight end duo of Dixon and Pitta. 3rd receiver, Jacoby Jones, is pedestrian and the lack of a good three will be a liability in “big games”.

Their offensive line is solid from right tackle into center. Oher looks more comfortable and Yanda and Birk are seasoned vets. The left side is suspect with McKinnie and Osemele. These two are ponderous in movement, and are very susceptible to games and stunts.

Flacco made a lot of people believers by outplaying Brady in the AFC Championship game last year. I’ve always been ambivalent about Flacco, but I think he’s done a good job of handling the no huddle, and may be on the verge of good things. If he and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron can get in sync, as they did in the playoffs, they will flourish.

The calling card of the Ravens for ever has been “rock solid” defense, led by two future Hall of Famers in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. While those guys still play solid, the team has become the team of Suggs and Ngata. I believe the loss of “edge guys” (Suggs to injury and Johnson to free agency) will have a real negative effect. Paul Kruger, Albert McClellan, and Courtney Upshaw are talented young guys, but not the elite plays of the others two guys are.

Ngata is a gigantic force inside and demands a real smart run approach. However, without the great Suggs to ruin your day on the rush, the 4 man pressure is less problematic. In this context, expect variations of the Indianapolis and Dallas pressure package to create a rush. The Rams have struggled with this stuff forver, so this provides a final test on these issues before the real war.

I love Ray Lewis and I think his running mate Jameel McClain is really tough, but I see the Raven linebackers limited in space, so misdirection, pitches, open formation runs, and screens will expose their liabilities. Their hybrids are paid to rush and hate to get displaced from the box by formation.

The Ravens have retooled their secondary over the past two years. With Ladarius Webb and Cary Williams and third corner Jimmy Smith the Ravens have the ability to play a lot of man and man to man combinations, this allows new coordinator Dean Dees the ability to bring the heat.

In all, this would be a great test for the Rams if it wasn’t the 4th pre season game. However, there will be plenty of things the team must accomplish. They’ve got to prove they can get out and play with some sharpness and some execution. They simply have to block and tackle better than last week. I think what is important Thursday night is to clean up their mistakes, play with some intensity, and get their act together.