Clowney not working out because he knows hes the #1 pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Matt Miller‏@nfldraftscout4h
People I've talked to around the league believe Clowney is not working out because he's been told he'll be the No. 1 pick.

This guy seems to think so.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Or he knows he will be a top 5 pick and that is good enough to be called Rich.

His ability to put money above his competitive or non competitive nature is troublesome. I envision a guy who turns it on once in every contract year. I hope he goes first overall because that means he Rams won't take him.

Clowney should be the surest thing in the draft with his ability but he is not. Just the fact that there are any questions is frustrating and puzzling enough for me to say Pass.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Or he knows he will be a top 5 pick and that is good enough to be called Rich.

His ability to put money above his competitive or non competitive nature is troublesome. I envision a guy who turns it on once in every contract year. I hope he goes first overall because that means he Rams won't take him.

Clowney should be the surest thing in the draft with his ability but he is not. Just the fact that there are any questions is frustrating and puzzling enough for me to say Pass.

Not troublesome to me after Clemson's Brandon Thomas cost himself a bundle getting hurt in a pre-draft workout with the Saints. I'd say it's more common sense.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not troublesome to me after Clemson's Brandon Thomas cost himself a bundle getting hurt in a pre-draft workout with the Saints. I'd say it's more common sense.
I agree. Nothing to see here.
I still don't want Clowney in horns though.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Private work outs are for the lower rung players, the top guys are stupid for doing them.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I don't blame Clowney at all for not working out anymore.
I mean, how many tennis balls does a guy have to pick up anyway?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

With his skills he should be An Andrew Luck type of sure thing. But he is not. That is troublesome for me.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Actually, I think you're probably right here. His agents probably advised him not to work out anymore. It's a tough situation for a kid who wants to prove all the naysayers wrong while at the same time not putting his future financial wellbeing at risk.

Meh, if I was a GM I'd put about 0.0001% of my player evaluation on what I see in a private workout anyway, with another 0.0001% going to the combine.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think the Thomas thing is relevent. The guy was moving up a lot of draft boards (originally a 4th round pick...) and I heard there might have been teams interested as soon as the 2nd.....now....he'll be lucky if someone puts a 5th or 6th selection in on him. It makes too much sense for the player himself in the bigger picture. I'm surprised this hasn't happened a lot more.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Yet the higher rated guys do them often too.
When one of the top 5 prospects blows a knee out and goes late in the 3rd round that nonsense will stop. I know there's competition among them on where they will be picked and some might prefer one team over another, but they have more to lose than gain. Private work outs benefit the players trying to get into the top 50 and the poor guys just trying to get drafted.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
This is just another example of what happens when you add more evaluation time before Draft day. The Draft would have been on April 24th, so private workouts would probably have stopped what, this week? Instead they're going on all the way through next week.

Stop the madness, Goodell. When strong candidates are getting hurt in private workouts, that's a signal that they're working too much.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
SO....he visited the Rams and then stopped all of his other workouts, hmmmm.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Meh, if I was a GM I'd put about 0.0001% of my player evaluation on what I see in a private workout anyway, with another 0.0001% going to the combine.
Wise words. Except it was the private workout that (allegedly) sealed the deal for Brian Quick with Les Snead & company.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

this thread is the perfect moment for ramzfanz to pull out his slow motion gif of clowney running around in circles picking up tennis balls.

RamzFanz

Damnit

this thread is the perfect moment for ramzfanz to pull out his slow motion gif of clowney running around in circles picking up tennis balls.

Ask and you shall receive:

846732784.gif