Clemens Made Case To Stay With Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[espn.go.com]

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams need to select a quarterback in the 2014 NFL draft.

The ACL injury that cost Sam Bradford more than half the 2013 season highlighted the importance of finding a young quarterback with upside who can step in, play and give the team some long-term value.

In the meantime, veteran Kellen Clemens took the reins. To the surprise of many, present company included, Clemens exceeded his previous career performance and led the Rams to four victories in his nine starts, matching his career total as a starter from his previous dozen starts.

While Clemens didn't put up any eye-popping numbers, he did enough to earn another shot with the Rams in 2014.

Whether that happens for the pending free agent remains to be seen, but for his (funny) part Clemens would like to return.

"I don't know," Clemens said. "I would certainly love to be here. I love this organization and the direction that we're heading in, but it's a little different than my senior prom. I have to have a date for this one. It's a true story, actually."

Wait, so how did that all work out?

"I actually had a blast," Clemens said, laughing. "I had a blast. It's a lot cheaper going solo, for those of you considering it."

The opposite is true when it comes to the prom that is NFL free agency. Without a dance partner, it would actually cost Clemens a nice chunk of change. Whether or not another girl will ask Clemens to the prom is hard to say but there's ample reason for the Rams to ask him to come back.

Statistically, Clemens' numbers were rather pedestrian compared to other starters around the league as he completed 58.7 percent of his passes for 1,673 yards, eight touchdowns and seven interceptions for a passer rating of 78.8 and a QBR of 38.2.

Those numbers mostly fall short of what you'd want from a starting quarterback but that's not the point. Clemens is a backup and proved to be a bit better in his role than many expected. Without Bradford (and even before his injury), the Rams became a run-heavy team hoping to create chances for big passing plays off the run.

When the Rams were able to get the run game going first, such as games against New Orleans, Chicago and Tampa Bay, Clemens was able to take advantage with big passing plays while still limiting the number of attempts. When the run game wasn't working, such as games against Seattle, Arizona and San Francisco, Clemens was unable to generate much offense.

That's not a difficult formula to understand as Clemens clearly has his limitations. Of course, finding a backup quarterback in the NFL without his share of limitations is a difficult exercise in itself.

To be clear, I'm not advocating Clemens return as the guaranteed backup to Bradford in 2014. The Rams must add a young quarterback to the mix via the draft and begin to develop him with hope of making him the backup in the short term with possible long-term starter potential.

The Rams carried three quarterbacks on the roster for most of 2012 and did so again for a spell this past season after Bradford's injury. Doing it again next season with Clemens as one of the three makes sense because he would provide a veteran option should Bradford and an anonymous rookie signal-caller be unable to start the season. More importantly, he could provide valuable guidance to said rookie.

After all, tutoring young players would be nothing new to Clemens.

"If I look back, I think the one thing that I will hang my hat on is that a lot of times you see a backup come in and guys don't continue to grow," Clemens said. "And I'm talking about the young guys that I mentioned before. I think that Tavon [Austin], Stedman [Bailey], Zac [Stacy], I think Jared [Cook], who was fairly new to this offense, I think they continued to grow even with me in there and so hopefully next year we see signs of that improvement and they'll be even better for Sam. I think that's really probably what I'll hang my hat on this year."

It's also another good reason for the Rams to bring him back for another go in 2014.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't know. I was thinking his stock is lower now that we've all seen a large sample size. What does he offer that makes him special? I saw a lot of heart. That's the best I can say about him.

PhxRam

I don't know. I was thinking his stock is lower now that we've all seen a large sample size. What does he offer that makes him special? I saw a lot of heart. That's the best I can say about him.

Got your eye on any of the FA qbs cake?

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Got your eye on any of the FA qbs cake?

I would like them to look at Freeman and McCown. I don't know what happened to Freeman but he looked like a promising QB a couple years ago. I thought McCown looked better than Cutler the few games I watched him this year. He's a little old though.

MFaulk107

The Realness
I like Clemens. He seems to know what he's doing and talking about(actually doing it all the time he has trouble with)
Otherwise, he came in as 2nd string and did an alright job, sometimes really good, sometimes not helping us out at all. I wouldn't mind if him sticking around.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather have Mark Sanchez as a backup.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would like them to look at Freeman and McCown. I don't know what happened to Freeman but he looked like a promising QB a couple years ago. I thought McCown looked better than Cutler the few games I watched him this year. He's a little old though.

Freeman stopped caring. Stopped showing up to meetings on time, didn't put the time in the film room and overall gave no effort.

Alan

Legend
That's not good. I wondered what happened to him. Thanks for the info jrry.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
We want names!!!

:heh:

Sanchez actually wouldnt be a bad back up. He knows the system and has had some success in it. He shouldn't be a starter, but he could be a good backup. If Freeman wasn't such a lazy selfish dick, he would be a great pick up. Michael Vick might actually be an ok back up. I like a backup with mobility, Clemens has mobility but doesnt always know what to do with it when he needs to.

As per draft, there are a lot of QB's i like. Mannion, Murray, Garoppolo, Gardner, Miller, Thomas, Fales, Keeton(don;t know if he is staying in school or not, does anyone know?). Those are the qb's i like from the mid-late rounds.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Sanchez actually wouldnt be a bad back up. He knows the system and has had some success in it. He shouldn't be a starter, but he could be a good backup. If Freeman wasn't such a lazy selfish dick, he would be a great pick up. Michael Vick might actually be an ok back up. I like a backup with mobility, Clemens has mobility but doesnt always know what to do with it when he needs to.

As per draft, there are a lot of QB's i like. Mannion, Murray, Garoppolo, Gardner, Miller, Thomas, Fales, Keeton(don;t know if he is staying in school or not, does anyone know?). Those are the qb's i like from the mid-late rounds.
Given that the first lot you mention are either has-beens or never-weres, I'd be more inclined to draft our future back-up QB in round three or four.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Given that the first lot you mention are either has-beens or never-weres, I'd be more inclined to draft our future back-up QB in round three or four.

Oh i agree, but you did say you wanted names so i gave you some :D

*How about this one...Brandon Weeden!!!!! Not really young(except in experience). We could always go back to discussing grabbing Vince Young :peek:, or better yet, Jamarcus Russel!!! Could offer him a box of donuts daily and some purple drink.

…..

Legend
I'd rather keep Clemens and his salary. We need the money.

Also...remember @CoachO 's comment about Brady Quinn being in all the meeting/practices/games this year. That holds weight, but in my mind Quinn hasn't been much better than Clemens...yet is more expensive.

Clemens did fine as a backup. It is what it is.