Clemens bids fond farewell to St. Louis: PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Clemens bids fond farewell to St. Louis
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_21c43e76-b064-543e-9ff6-1efe5c675adc.html

Early on Friday afternoon, Rams quarterback Kellen Clemens sent out a tweet welcoming Rodger Saffold back to the team. A couple of hours later, Clemens was no longer a Ram.

That’s the NFL for you. Not For Long.

Clemens agreed to terms on a two-year, $3 million deal to back up Philip Rivers in San Diego. The Rams knew Clemens was drawing interest from a few other teams, but even they were surprised.

Then again, Clemens was surprised himself.

“It all happened in about a four-minute phone call with my agent,” Clemens told the Post-Dispatch. “He said the Chargers just called. Here’s what they’re offering. And I said alright. Let’s do it.”

Entering the offseason, Clemens thought he’d end up back in St. Louis, where he had spent the last two-plus seasons. It was a comfortable fit because of his long association with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer — dating back to their time together with the New York Jets — plus his strong relationship with coach Jeff Fisher and starting quarterback Sam Bradford.

“That was kind of what we thought, was that we were gonna be back here,” Clemens said. “The kids are in school, and we love the organization.”

But Clemens got a fair amount of interest once the free agency period started, which Clemens joked: “sure beats the alternative.”

In San Diego, he’s back on the west coast, and closer to his home in Oregon. His wife attended college at the University of San Diego, and he knows Rivers fairly well.

And then of course, there was the bottom line.

“Obviously, financially it was better than we were probably going to be able to do elsewhere,” Clemens said.

Clemens made $870,000 last season with the Rams, and probably would’ve made a similar amount had he returned this year. His two-year contract with San Diego averages $1.5 million a year. While the Rams were interested in re-signing him, Clemons said, “I don’t know that they were two years interested.”

When he made his “welcome back” tweet to Saffold, Clemens had no idea the situation with San Diego was about to happen.

“There were a couple of other teams at that point,” he said. “It’s kind of a game of dominoes. The top guys kind of go, and once one goes it’s dominoes and musical chairs.”

Once Josh McCown signed with Tampa Bay, things started to unfold at the quarterback position around the league in free agency. With Clemens now gone, the only quarterback on the Rams’ current roster besides Bradford is Austin Davis.

Among the current available free agents are: Jason Campbell, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Flynn, Josh Freeman, David Garrard, Shaun Hill, Tarvaris Jackson, and Michael Vick.

Freeman and Vick undoubtedly are looking for destinations where they can start, and with that, receive bigger paychecks. Fitzpatrick, a former Rams draft pick, was just released by Tennessee.

Hill is an interesting name because he once played for current Rams quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti in San Francisco and was brought in for a free-agent visit in 2012 by the Rams only to re-sign with Detroit.

In the draft, the signals from Rams Park all along this offseason have been that the team planned to draft a quarterback this year. Clemens’ departure only strengthens the chances of that happening.

Clemens leaves for San Diego having lived up to his end of the bargain as Bradford’s backup, joining the team late in the 2011 season under coach Steve Spagnuolo, and then sticking around with Fisher and the new Rams’ regime.

“It’s sad to leave a place that you had grown to love as much as we’ve grown to love,” Clemens said. “Not just Rams Park (but) just the community in St. Louis since we’ve been here now for 2½ years.

“Just thank you to the fans of St. Louis. We’ll certainly look back on it with a very special place in our hearts.”

Clemens took over at quarterback after Bradford went down with a season-ending knee injury late in Game 7 at Carolina. Channeling Dick Vermeil’s famous “we will rally around Kurt Warner” remark after Trent Green went down 14 years earlier, Fisher told the Rams “we’ll give ‘em hell with Kel” after Bradford’s injury.

Most media observers thought the Rams would win no more than a game or two with Clemens at quarterback over the final nine games. But the Rams won four times under Clemens, including upset victories over Chicago, Indianapolis, and New Orleans.

Clemens finished the year with career-highs in completions (142), passing yards (1,673), touchdown passes (eight), and passer rating (78.8).

“ ‘Fish’ backed me from the moment that Sam went down,” Clemens said. “He never flinched. There’s a debt there to him for the way that he believed in me and stood behind me. No doubt.

“I said it at the end of the year, I think the biggest thing that I’ll hang my hat on coming out of this year is when Sam went down, I wanted to make sure that everything didn’t just stall. I didn’t want it to stay stagnant or get worse.

“I wanted those younger guys to continue to make progress. So that when Sam was able to come back that they would be farther along for him, so that he could do the things that he wants to do going forward into this year. And I think that I did that.”

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not a great QB, but an awesome teammate and Clemens has what I hope the next QB the Rams draft will have "Quick Feet" something Bradford does not have.

I have to tip my cap to Clemens because when the Rams claimed him off waivers from the Texans I thought he would be aweful, but he was not and he took some mighty big hits too. If I could I'd move to San Diego too, you can't beat the weather, best in the U.S.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Congrats Clemens! You were a great locker room guy and exceeded expectations on the field. Good luck in all your ventures going forward.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, I am happy for him.

I wish he was still here. He proved himself capable. But, he got a big pay raise and 2yr deal... Good for him.

Alan

Legend
Glad he's gone. Forces us to look for something long term.

Just like I was glad when SJ left. Even though I really liked him while he was here.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Glad he's gone. Forces us to look for something long term.

Me personally; I don't think much long term at the backup QB position when our starter is only 26yrs old and not going anywhere.

Alan

Legend
CGI_Ram with a short term view:
Me personally; I don't think much long term at the backup QB position when our starter is only 26yrs old and not going anywhere.
I'm of like mind with you about SB's long term status but you need only look at what happened in Washington. Cousins was able to do more than just preside over a close loss. Were it not for other negatives on Washington's team he might have kept them in playoff contention. I can't say that about Clemens. No one thinks RGIII isn't going to be their long term solution. At least not yet. :LOL:

I want someone with good skills available to come in for a few games in case of a minor injury to Sam.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If he can stay healthy CGI and that's a big "If." And that is exactly why the Rams are going to spend a third round pick on a QB because durability for Sam the Ram, that is the question?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, but is an inexperienced QB really what we want for a game or two if we plan on a playoff run?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Of the guys available as backups, the two that interest me most are Ryan Fitzpatrick and Vince Young (though that will probably never happen).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Of the guys available as backups, the two that interest me most are Ryan Fitzpatrick and Vince Young (though that will probably never happen).

Count me in with Fitzpatrick. A former starter we can win games with should he be needed in a spot start.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm of like mind with you about SB's long term status but you need only look at what happened in Washington. Cousins was able to do more than just preside over a close loss. Were it not for other negatives on Washington's team he might have kept them in playoff contention. I can't say that about Clemens. No one thinks RGIII isn't going to be their long term solution. At least not yet. :LOL:

I want someone with good skills available to come in for a few games in case of a minor injury to Sam.
I apologize that this is thread drift but I can't help myself. What in the world are you talking about? Kirk Cousins is in no way a good example supporting the path you think the Rams should take. Dude ruined his trade stock and Washington isn't in good shape right now because they chose to take RGIII and Cousins in the draft. Part of the reason there were other negatives is because they used a 3rd round pick on a QB which is the same negative to the Rams taking one this year.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Count me in with Fitzpatrick. A former starter we can win games with should he be needed in a spot start.
Fitz yes. Young...HELL NO. Sanchez is the guy I want them to target. Not that he's great but he's at least Clemens' equal(better IMO) and he knows the system already.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lolz. Clemens > Cousins last year. I watched every Redskins game Cousins started, and it was bad. Real bad. Good luck Kel, thanks for being a gamer and keeping us from suffering another 3 win season. Oh, and of the FAs suggested, Sean Hill please. By FAR the most interesting of those names to me.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Lolz. Clemens > Cousins. Good luck Kel, thanks for being a gamer and helping us win some games. Oh, and of the FAs suggested, Sean Hill please. By FAR the most interesting of those names to me.
Shaun Hill's a gamer too(like Clemens). Probably a lot better than Clemens if I had to make a choice. He's looked good in SF and Detroit and is borderline starter material. Pretty sure he knows the terminology of the system too.

Lost track of him though and I didn't know he was still playing.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, I liked Hill when he played here at MD in college. Always thought his game translated nicely to the pros.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I like Hill too. But, the down the field game goes away with him like it did with Clemens, IMO.

Alan

Legend
CGI_Ram still thinking short term:
Yeah, but is an inexperienced QB really what we want for a game or two if we plan on a playoff run?
You're right in that regard CGI. But...sooner or later you have to bite the bullet don't you? Sooner is better in my mind. Kind of like going to the dentist to have them take out that bad tooth that's killing you.

moklerman

Warner-phile
You're right in that regard CGI. But...sooner or later you have to bite the bullet don't you? Sooner is better in my mind. Kind of like going to the dentist to have them take out that bad tooth that's killing you.
Well, when you have a 26 year old starting caliber QB, that bullet biting comes later. It seems that you're already ready to move on from Bradford as the starter but that isn't where the Rams are.