Clay Matthews 'taken aback' at Packers' lack of interest: 'They told me there was no room for me'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Clay Matthews always imagined he’d play out his career with the Green Bay Packers. Even though he was set to hit free agency for the first time, it was his expectation to stay in green and gold.
That made the Packers’ lack of interest all the more painful when the only team he’s ever played for declined to make him an offer.
[Watch live NFL games on the Yahoo Sports app, download it here.]
“I was kind of taken aback because I thought I’d always be back there, whether it was at a cheaper price [or not],” Matthews said in an interview with NFL.com’s Michael Silver. “So that was kind of a shock, because [my family] stayed out there and had our third child in the offseason, and I was hanging in town training there and everything. And yeah, that was kind of a surprise to me because I just figured I would be out there a few more years.”
IRVINE, CALIFORNIA - JULY 29: Clay Matthews #52 of the Los Angeles Rams speaks to the media during a press conference after training camp on July 29, 2019 in Irvine, California. (Photo by Josh Lefkowitz/Getty Images)

Clay Matthews signed a two-year deal with the Rams after spending 10 seasons with the Packers. (Photo by Josh Lefkowitz/Getty Images)

Matthews was willing to take a discount
The 10-year veteran was coming off a solid year with 7.5 sacks, 43 total tackles and one forced fumble. He knew he wouldn't command the $13 million annual salary he had on his last contract, but he never pictured that they wouldn’t want him back at any price.
Matthews said that there was some discussion between his agent, Ryan Williams, and Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst before free agency started. They mutually agreed that he could figure out his value on the open market, and hopefully something would be worked out later.
[Watch live local and primetime NFL games free with the Yahoo Sports app]
But days later, Matthews said he got a call from Gutekunst saying that there was no money available for him.
“I always felt like I would probably end up back there; we just needed to figure out what the going rate was. But that wasn't the case,” Matthews said. “They told me there was no room for me.”

Packers were quick to replace Matthews
That call particularly stings because the Packers did have money to spend — just not on him. They made a rare splurge in free agency with outside linebackers Za’Darius Smith (four years, $66 million with $20 million guaranteed) and Preston Smith (four years, $52 million with $16 million guaranteed).
Matthews eventually worked out a two-year, $9.25 million deal with his hometown Los Angeles Rams that can reach as high as $16.75 million, but he made one last effort to return to Wisconsin. He said he reached out to to Gutekunst to see if he would take the same deal, but the GM again declined.
Matthews already felt bad enough that his team didn’t want him anymore, but then there was an added layer of disrespect when the Packers immediately gave away his No. 52 jersey to rookie first-rounder Rashan Gary.
“You just sometimes wish they would be a little more honest and up front as far as how they see it,” Matthews said. “But, I mean, why should I get preferential treatment? Nobody is going to say, ‘Hey, this is how we actually feel about you.’”

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Their loss, our gain.
Hopefully a chip and his shoulder transitions into 10 sacks and many more TFL's.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His production had dropped and they changed their DC. This was bound to happen and something we’ve done as well. Though I guess we’ve traded people more than just let contracts run out.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Green Bay has a new coach and are maybe rebuilding? Even though Rodgers window is closing to win another SB.

The Rams are ready to win now, and he fits a position of need for us.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That sounds pretty shitty, but ... it's a business I guess. Just sounds like they could have at least given him some personal attention. Sit the guy down and let him know how proud you were to have him play for you and blah blah blah.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
That sounds pretty crappy, but ... it's a business I guess. Just sounds like they could have at least given him some personal attention. Sit the guy down and let him know how proud you were to have him play for you and blah blah blah.
Yo -X- !!!
yeah I think they coulda made something more of his contribution to GB. but, I guess being part of a previous regime, he had no history with his current coach & GM. he was just a number to them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That sounds pretty crappy, but ... it's a business I guess. Just sounds like they could have at least given him some personal attention. Sit the guy down and let him know how proud you were to have him play for you and blah blah blah.
Yep, it wouldn't have changed the result, but could it have killed them to at least pull him in the office and do it face to face, after 10 years? He said he got a phone call and his time with the Packers was over in 30 seconds. They even gave his number away almost immediately, and his "friend" Aaron Rodgers sent him a dry text. Basically, it was GTFO, Clay..
pG9hmIy.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hope he shows them how wrong they were.
New DC and 3 sacks
3.5 - That's a 17% difference. I seriously hope the Packers defense sucks this year and he lights it up for us. Yeah - I didn't like the shot on Foles but I felt he got some pretty weak ass calls against him on a couple others. I hope Fabio feels a reckoning is due.

Ram65

Legend
It doesn't sound like Packers were interested in resigning Mathews from the beginning. Why prolong it if you were not interested? He gave them 10 good years, helped win a Super Bowl and recorded 83.5 sacks for them.

So what did the Rams tell Barron and Saffold? We really never got any information from a team source on either one. I would hope they were upfront with both players.

fearsomefour

Legend
Hope he shows them how wrong they were.

3.5 - That's a 17% difference. I seriously hope the Packers defense sucks this year and he lights it up for us. Yeah - I didn't like the shot on Foles but I felt he got some pretty weak ass calls against him on a couple others. I hope Fabio feels a reckoning is due.
Haha.
Thanks for the correction.
Yeah, there were a lot of garbage calls.
I can’t decide if that means he should have had 6 + sacks or he has started losing quickness to get there.
But, beyond sacks, his ability to play smart ball, play inside and hopefully tackle well should help the D.
If one of the young guys develops (Oko seems the most likely) and the Rams want to play a 4 LB set on a passing down Matthews can slide inside with Oko and Fowler at OLB in this example. Gives a lot of flexibility to drop guys or blitz etc.
Farr mentioned Wade running the 3/3/5 D a lot. I could see that with a Rapp getting some play at that tweener LB spot.
Could also see a 2/4/5 with Donald and Brockers at DL with Fowler, Littleton, Mathews and (example) Oko at LB with a 5th DB or 3rd S. Tons of blitz options to add to the 2 DL pass rush. Blitz could come from any position with that sort of set.
That is my very long winded way of saying my low sack post about Mathews doesn’t mean I’m down him. I’m not. In fact I’m looking forward to what he may bring.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Haha.
Thanks for the correction.
Yeah, there were a lot of garbage calls.
I can’t decide if that means he should have had 6 + sacks or he has started losing quickness to get there.
But, beyond sacks, his ability to play smart ball, play inside and hopefully tackle well should help the D.
If one of the young guys develops (Oko seems the most likely) and the Rams want to play a 4 LB set on a passing down Matthews can slide inside with Oko and Fowler at OLB in this example. Gives a lot of flexibility to drop guys or blitz etc.
Farr mentioned Wade running the 3/3/5 D a lot. I could see that with a Rapp getting some play at that tweener LB spot.
Could also see a 2/4/5 with Donald and Brockers at DL with Fowler, Littleton, Mathews and (example) Oko at LB with a 5th DB or 3rd S. Tons of blitz options to add to the 2 DL pass rush. Blitz could come from any position with that sort of set.
That is my very long winded way of saying my low sack post about Mathews doesn’t mean I’m down him. I’m not. In fact I’m looking forward to what he may bring.
Probably should have put my 17% comment in blue font BTW. Cheers.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
So did this look like a video clip when you posted it? I'm only asking because it wouldn't play for me. I'd like to know if it played for anyone else.
Yes, it still works for me on my laptop, but not on my phone I've noticed. I read your post and it reminded me of the hit so I looked it up out of complete curiosity to see if there were still videos.

He basically spears him with the helmet. Here's the article. It is worth reading because it conveys the sentiment toward the Rams at the time, and it accurately tells the story of a team that opposes the media and fan narrative still being pushed today. Josh Hill wrote not one disparaging remark for what should have been a spearing penalty and possibly a suspension, but instead referred to him as a guy who was delivering a message to the Rams.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Did he even get flagged for that? Let's hope he's learned his lesson from all the flags last season. AD changed his sack motion immediately so he wouldn't get flagged.

Good question, I just remembered the hit and looked it up. It should have been spearing, right?

If that had been a Rams linebacker delivering the hit, people would have called the team dirty and insisted on a lengthy suspension.