Circle the date: Goff's 5-2 Rams, Wentz's 7-1 Eagles meet Dec. 10

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...-goffs-5-2-rams-wentzs-7-1-eagles-meet-dec-10

Alden Gonzalez: Espn Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- It almost feels as if they're on a collision course, building toward that Dec. 10 meeting from Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

The Los Angeles Rams, led by 2016 No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff, are 5-2, possessing the same record as the Seattle Seahawks at the top of the NFC West. The Philadelphia Eagles, led by 2016 No. 2 overall pick Carson Wentz, are 7-1, sporting a 2½-game cushion in the NFC East. The Rams and Eagles meet in less than six weeks, and it might only be the preview to a matchup that also takes place in the playoffs. The Rams are allowing one to dream a little.

The Eagles lead the NFL with a plus-76 point margin.

Right behind them are the Rams at plus-74.

Rams outside linebacker Connor Barwin played for the Eagles from 2013 to 2016 and is not surprised by their success. "That's a really talented roster," he said. Barwin spent all of last year going against Wentz in practice and has spent a lot of this year watching his games, largely because they're playing a lot of the same teams.

"I knew, everybody knew, he's a talented guy," Barwin said. "There’s a reason he was the No. 2 overall pick, and he’s playing really well right now."

Wentz is playing like a potential MVP, actually. He has only completed 61 percent of his passes, but he has thrown for 2,063 yards with 19 touchdown passes, tied with Houston Texans rookie Deshaun Watson for the NFL lead. Wentz is averaging 7.81 yards per attempt, sports a 3.80 touchdown-to-interception ratio and has registered a 70.8 Total QBR, ranked third in the NFL.

Goff's numbers aren't as spectacular -- 59.9-percent completion rate, 7.74 yards per attempt, 2.25 touchdown-to-interception ratio, 52.6 Total QBR -- but he's nearly two full years younger than Wentz and has shown tremendous growth as a second-year quarterback.

"They were both drafted high for a reason," Barwin said. "They’re both super talented."

Washington Redskins on Monday Night Football. At one point, Wentz ducked out of a sack, stayed in the pocket and found Corey Clement up the sideline for a touchdown. Later, he looked as if he were about to take another sack, then somehow emerged from a pile of defensive linemen and ran for a big gain.

"Carson -- and people have said this -- he’s more like a Ben Roethlisberger-type guy. I see it that way," Barwin said. "Jared’s more of your pure pocket passer. He stands in there and slings the ball all over the field."

The Eagles made a major move before Tuesday's trade deadline, acquiring running back Jay Ajayi from the Miami Dolphins. The Seahawks made a trade, too, adding former Texans left tackle Duane Brown to address one of their most obvious vulnerabilities.

Rams coach Sean McVay said general manager Les Snead "fielded a lot of calls" from other teams, but nothing came close to materializing. The two spoke before the deadline about whether they should pursue other players and agreed not to, largely because their uncommon health has allowed them to preserve their own depth.

"Where we're at right now," McVay said, "and the players that we have that we're counting on, that are playing for us, we feel really good moving forward."

McVay's good friend Kyle Shanahan picked up a quarterback on Tuesday when his San Francisco 49ers sent a 2018 second-round pick to the New England Patriots for Jimmy Garoppolo. McVay sees Garoppolo as "a pretty good player that has a lot of tools and traits" and believes Shanahan "will do an excellent job utilizing him in the right way." But the Rams are good there. Goff's growth has proven that.

With the midway point nearing, McVay simply wants to see Goff continue to evolve as a decision-maker. Goff took the bye week to rest, but he also self-scouted. He wants to "clean my footwork up" and "be as accurate as I can," but there's so much more.

"There's a million things," Goff said. "I don't know if there's one in particular."

Barwin will point out to one area where Goff does not need to improve.

"The more I’m around him," Barwin said, "the more I realize how confident he is in himself. If you’re an athlete, if you’re a quarterback, that’s the most important thing. You have to believe in yourself. And the more I’m around Jared, the more I see that he knows he’s going to be good in this league for a long time. He believes in himself."

tiger1971

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tiger
The late games for Week 14 are;

Redskins - Chargers
Jets - Broncos
Titans - Cardinals
Cowboys - Giants
Eagles - Rams

Really hoping that the UK broadcaster picks up the Rams game here, but watch them pick the Cowboys game - again.