Cignetti In The Booth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RambleOn

UDFA
Based on the preseason it looks like Frank Cignetti will be calling plays from the coaches booth. I am hopeful that this will help us to make the necessary adjustments faster throughout the game. Martz called plays from the booth in '99 and we had pretty decent results. Just curious to hear what everyone thinks about this.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I noticed that too.
If he doesn't have to double up and coach Foles during games, it's a plus. I like that all he has to do, is worry about is calling plays.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
This could be a great change for us. I just can't see how an OC being on the sideline is beneficial. This allows Cignetti to see everything, and it should work out well.

Big Game

Living The Dream
I noticed that too.
If he doesn't have to double up and coach Foles during games, it's a plus. I like that all he has to do, is worry about is calling plays.

That's where having Chris Weinke pays off he can help coach Foles up on the Field and go over plays. :sneaky:(y)

rambone

UDFA
Based on the preseason it looks like Frank Cignetti will be calling plays from the coaches booth. I am hopeful that this will help us to make the necessary adjustments faster throughout the game. Martz called plays from the booth in '99 and we had pretty decent results. Just curious to hear what everyone thinks about this.

Noticed that as well – I think you’re spot on! I’m excited he is at least trying it, no distractions and can see the whole field. This first game will tell us a lot.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Last Rams OC to call from the booth was Shurmur.

Yep he sure was communicating with then QB Coach Dick Curl! And you guys liked Wang, well, you'll love Curl!
dick_curl_2010_12_05.jpg

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Play calling has been much better this pre season. I noticed it the most when we kept running Pead because he was having success against KC. Schotty would have called 3 pass plays in a row from the 1.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I don't think it's a matter of helping or hurting, it's just a matter of style. Some coordinators like to be isolated and unfold the chess match from above, some want the feel of the game, look into the eyes & hearts of his players and the opponents fears, work the refs, and hear the crowd, etc... I think a lot depends on personality, and I agree with the point about assistants --the fit with assistants to accomplish/filter that stuff is crucial to the preference of booth or field I would think. And overall it's the fit to the identity of the team.

As far as seeing everything the sponsored-by-Microsoft tablets give real time aerial views now anyway. As to the original mention of Martz, seems like he ended up an on-field convert despite his better success coming in the booth?: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-12-26-playcallers-sideline_N.htm

"Detroit Lions coordinator Mike Martz is also a sideline guy. "I was up in the booth for the preseason last year and, at first, I was excited about it," he says. "But then I hated it. I couldn't talk to the quarterbacks the way I wanted. 'Tell Jon (Kitna) to …' I said, 'Aw, to heck with it.'

"On the sideline, you get into the feel and emotion of the game. I like being on the field more than I thought I would."​

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plus this way he can better protect the first 20 scripted plays. You know, just in case the Rams play the Patriots.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I always feel like the top-down view of being in the booth is important for coordinators. You can better see the plays unfold, where things are going, all the nice tactical observations necessary to attack an entire defense.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Plus this way he can better protect the first 20 scripted plays. You know, just in case the Rams play the Patriots.

Only If the walk through is held in the basement of the Fisher Estate.