Christian Kirksey is available......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
The Cleveland Browns have just released ILB Christian Kirksey after two injury-filled years. Having said that he is only 28 years old and an excellent (albeit when healthy) inside linebacker. Also, he is well regarded as a team leader in the locker room and a very outstanding member of the community.
Do we kick the tires on a guy like this?

~ArkyRamsFan~

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Average player with a lot of recent injuries. Uninspiring addition but I suppose we could do worse.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Average player with a lot of recent injuries. Uninspiring addition but I suppose we could do worse.
Can he play WILL? Hager might already be worse haha. Probably not a bad depth option.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can he play WILL? Hager might already be worse haha. Probably not a bad depth option.
I doubt he signs as a depth guy. It sounds like his injury replacement took his job, plus the Browns don’t have 2 ILB on the field together much. They tried to get him to stay with an extension and pay cut but he passed and asked for his release.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The guy can't stay on the field. I guess sometimes bad luck happens but his position is tough on the body and he isn't getting any younger. If he signs a one year deal or a cheap 3 year I'd be interested. He's not a bad player by any means.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's worth a look. Pretty good player when healthy.

Ram65

Legend
I trust Snead to check him out to see if he is worth making an offer too.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The injuries Kirksey has suffered the last two years were primarily soft tissue in nature. In 2018 he had a hamstring injury and last year it was his pectoral muscle. In my way of thinking (Chiropractor for 38 yrs) these types of injuries can be overcome in the sense that he has not had any significant joint or spine or concussion problems.

When I read of his health problems the first person I thought of was Rodger Saffold. I remember him tearing his pectoral muscle while weight lifting and it seemed he always had a myriad of soft tissue stuff going on. Eventually though, he overcame them and has gone on to have a very productive career.

And I am certainly glad that we didn't give up on him, especially while he was in his prime. Heck, many of us would have LOVED to have had him last year. Just sayin'......

I wonder if Mr. Kirksey could have the same M.O?

~ArkyRamsFan~

fearsomefour

Legend
The probable ILB competition between Reeder, Lawler, Young is hardly inspiring either.
If he is healthy can bring him in on the cheap.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’s already in Vegas for a visit and they have cap and several LB spots open.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The probable ILB competition between Reeder, Lawler, Young is hardly inspiring either.
If he is healthy can bring him in on the cheap.
Might want to add under contract ILB'ers Travin Howard, Patrick Natrez & Micah Kiser to your list. My position on this very young ILB'er unit is bright.

I feel good about the rather large ILB'er cadre that will all be in a battle for the one open full time vacant Cory Littleton post. Leaving the rest to fight it out for the 2nd ILB'er post which is a part time playing LB'er post.

Last season MLB'er Troy Reeder play mostly opposite to Cory but Travin Howard also saw a good amount snaps with the defense during the last 6 weeks of the 2019 season.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure he'd rather play for us than the Raiders.

Wouldn't cost a comp pick either - get it done!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm sure he'd rather play for us than the Raiders.
Wouldn't cost a comp pick either - get it done!
Question for you why would he not cost the Rams a comp pick? Would he not be included in the future 2021 CDPA's if the Rams signed this UFA to a 2020 contract?

What did I miss on this or what knowledge am I lacking here? Can you help me out?

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Might want to add under contract ILB'ers Travin Howard, Patrick Natrez & Micah Kiser to your list. My position on this very young ILB'er unit is bright.

I feel good about the rather large ILB'er cadre that will all be in a battle for the one open full time vacant Cory Littleton post. Leaving the rest to fight it out for the 2nd ILB'er post which is a part time playing LB'er post.

Last season MLB'er Troy Reeder play mostly opposite to Cory but Travin Howard also saw a good amount snaps with the defense during the last 6 weeks of the 2019 season.
All the same to me at this point. Unproven.
Howard did play well overall later in the year.
Hopefully the answers are on the roster already, that would be ideal.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question for you why would he not cost the Rams a comp pick? Would he not be included in the future 2021 CDPA's if the Rams signed this UFA to a 2020 contract?

What did I miss on this or what knowledge am I lacking here? Can you help me out?

The Browns cut him

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He's actually a St. Louisan...so naturally, I want us to sign him. :D

oldnotdead

Legend
Why is it that the grass is always greener with some people? Kirksey has never been more than average in his play and he hasn't been healthy in 2 years. Coming out of college he was considered fast for a LB and that is all. People saw potential in him albeit limited overall.
He's another Travin Howard kind of player in terms of talent. Good enough to perhaps make the team in depth....but they already have a roster full of those kinds of guys.

He's not an impact player so why is it that people want to stock the roster with JAGs? If you are going to spend your limited capital you do it signing impact players. I guarantee you he's no better than the guys that are already on the roster who are equally fast and have a year in the system. Kirksey has been a 4-3 ILB his whole career with no experience in the 3-4 hybrid scheme. You don't even know if he's a scheme fit.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
I played against him when he went to hazelwood east. Hope we sign him. He was a good guy.