Chris Paul traded to the Lakers...wait, no he isnt.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sbnation.com/2011-nba-free-agency/2011/12/8/2622545/chris-paul-trade-off-lakers-nba-statement-david-stern-veto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sbnation.com/2011-nba-free-a ... stern-veto</a>

WOW. I dont know what the NBA is trying to accomplish here. Do they really want the Hornets to end up like the Raptors and Cavaliers? Its better for teams to get something in return for a star player that wants to leave. This is crazy.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/sports/basketball/paul-set-to-join-lakers-as-part-of-3-team-deal.html?_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/sport ... .html?_r=1</a>

This would have been a decent trade for the Hornets. They were handcuffed by CP3, this was a best-case scenario for them. He wasnt gonna resign with them, and he had preferences on where he would like to go. That really hurts his trade value because only certain teams can get involved.

bluecoconuts

Legend
They want to make the teams have more parody and they're afraid if the Lakers get too good it's going to be Lakers vs Heat for the next few years.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
They want to make the teams have more parody and they're afraid if the Lakers get too good it's going to be Lakers vs Heat for the next few years.

And this really affects the Dwight Howard situation as well. Can he still be traded and have no complications? I know the league owns the Hornets and that played a big role in the blocking of this trade. Another thing im curious about is if this trade was blocked mostly because of the Lakers involvement, or was it because they want to keep CP3 in New Orleans at all costs? If im a Hornets fan im super pissed off. You know CP3 doesnt wanna stay there, so you wanna do your best to get what you can for him a.s.a.p. so you dont have that black cloud hanging over your team during the season similar to what happened in Denver.

I still dont understand how the star players can have this much power in the NBA's system. It can cripple teams because some of those players have a preference for where they wanna go once they get near the end of their contract and you have to listen to them because other teams arent gonna rent that player for a season. They wont give up much for that. They wanna know that the player will resign with them.

In the NFL the teams GM has most of the leverage in these situations. The Colts traded Marshall Faulk, and I remember when they aired "Rush To Canton" on NFL Network he said he wanted to go to a warm weather place, and not play on turf. The Colts didnt wanna trade him to an AFC team and we know how that situation ended up. In the NBA it doesnt seem like its always about the money for these star players, they wanna go to a certain team, be with certain teammates, be in certain markets.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This is a ridiculous move by the league. Everyone fucking knows that Chris Paul is going to leave New Orleans. Everyone fucking knows that Dwight Howard is going to leave Orlando. So why in the name of fate wouldn't you let those two teams trade the players and actually get something out of this? Neither the Hornets nor the Rockets would have been screwed by this deal.

You're going to have players like Kevin Love, Stephen Curry, and Tyreke Evans leaving their teams because they want to go somewhere better. And don't bring up the Thunder as an example of a small-market team that's succeeded; their extremely-wealthy owner purposely made them the worst team in the league. When it became clear that he was going to move them to his hometown, he drafted Durant.

This bullshit is why I don't watch any NBA games...not to mention the fact that the assholes who owned the Hawks moved them to Atlanta.

:evil:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Whoa now. Durant is from Texas...and OKC is pretty much Sooner country. Durant still hates OU lol.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Angry Ram said:
Whoa now. Durant is from Texas...and OKC is pretty much Sooner country. Durant still hates OU lol.

I'm sorry. I should have clarified. Oklahoma City is the owner's hometown. None of the players had any say in the matter.

I should also mention that I have nothing against the Thunder or their fans or against the city they play in. I like players like Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Harden. I think the fans are loyal, and I love that they're a team that's successful in a smaller market. I just despise their owner for making a team bad on purpose just to move them away to his hometown.

Yeah, owners being selfish assholes is a real sore spot for me; I have a natural animosity toward Bill Bidwell, She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, Purina, Bill Laurie, and all of the people responsible for the Hawks moving from St. Louis (Kerner, Cousins, and Sanders, primarily). Like I said, I have absolutely nothing against you or your team, and I normally root for teams like the Thunder because they literally have everything that I love about a basketball team. I just don't like their owner, and I don't like his motivations.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
I'm a huge Laker fan, but this was a great deal for the Hornets. It leaves the Lakers with holes, but with a new coach and style they need a traditional point guard, and they don't have anything close to one.

David Stern should be ousted for vetoing the trade, it's a conflict of interest and he has no idea of how to run a team. If Paul doesn't get traded he and the NBA will get sued by numerous parties.

Just watch.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Memento said:
Angry Ram said:

I'm sorry. I should have clarified. Oklahoma City is the owner's hometown. None of the players had any say in the matter.

I should also mention that I have nothing against the Thunder or their fans or against the city they play in. I like players like Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Harden. I think the fans are loyal, and I love that they're a team that's successful in a smaller market. I just despise their owner for making a team bad on purpose just to move them away to his hometown.

Yeah, owners being selfish assholes is a real sore spot for me; I have a natural animosity toward Bill Bidwell, She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, Purina, Bill Laurie, and all of the people responsible for the Hawks moving from St. Louis (Kerner, Cousins, and Sanders, primarily). Like I said, I have absolutely nothing against you or your team, and I normally root for teams like the Thunder because they literally have everything that I love about a basketball team. I just don't like their owner, and I don't like his motivations.

Ahh, ok. That's cool. I just hate the morons who bash on the fans. Not our fault. It's Oklahoma's 1st pro team ever in any sport which is pretty cool.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
I'm a huge Laker fan, but this was a great deal for the Hornets. It leaves the Lakers with holes, but with a new coach and style they need a traditional point guard, and they don't have anything close to one.

David Stern should be ousted for vetoing the trade, it's a conflict of interest and he has no idea of how to run a team. If Paul doesn't get traded he and the NBA will get sued by numerous parties.

Just watch.

Yeah the Hornets would have got some really decent players in this. Do you think the Lakers would have tried to trade for Dwight Howard after this if the trade went through? Bynum and maybe another player for Howard? I think that was another thing that Stern feared would happen. He just didnt want Kobe, CP3 and Howard on a team, and the best way he could get involved is the fact that the league owns the Hornets. Thats where this whole thing gets tricky if CP3 tries to pursue legal action against the league.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I saw were the owner of the Cleveland Cavs wrote a letter to Commandant Stern suggesting that the league should just go ahead and change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals. For you young guys,,, the Washington Generals were the team that the Harlem Globetrotters played EVERY time they played. Guess who won every time...

Anyway, I laughed my ass off when I saw that. The Cavs' owner is exactly right.

I've been a huge Magic Fan since they began back in 1989. I was a laker fan prior to their creation. I had to endure the loss of shaq to LA, and let me just say - that fucking sucked major goat chode. It was worse than lebron's "decision" IMO. shaq immediately started bad mouthing Orlando once he signed his deal with the devil in the middle of the we hours of the night. Funny how shaqass still kept his house here,,, and he still has it here today. FUCK him, he's hated here in O-Town.

The thought of losing D12 to the lakers is almost too much for Magic fans to handle. It appears that IF Dwight does leave us, he's at least going to make sure that we get a bag of chips and a Walmart coke for him through some kind of bullshit trade,,, instead of leaving us with nothing in the middle of the night and talking shit about the City that took care of him like a king during the beginning of his Pro career.

Many of you may not know that Orlando now has what is considered to be BY FAR the nicest and most modern new arena in the world (it's the Jerry World of arenas). If we loss yet another big man from our B-Ball team, at least the fine residents of O-Town will be able to watch concerts in style. The NBA games are going to be fucking empty as they deserve to be.

The NBA is the equivalent of Pro Wrestling anyway. Anyone who believes otherwise is under Commandant Stern's control.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:

Just watch.

Yeah the Hornets would have got some really decent players in this. Do you think the Lakers would have tried to trade for Dwight Howard after this if the trade went through? Bynum and maybe another player for Howard? I think that was another thing that Stern feared would happen. He just didnt want Kobe, CP3 and Howard on a team, and the best way he could get involved is the fact that the league owns the Hornets. Thats where this whole thing gets tricky if CP3 tries to pursue legal action against the league.

Update is that the trade has been resubmitted and I'm sure as Stern intended will require for the Lakers to give up more. It's not Stern's call to dictate who gives up what, if the salaries work. The players association has threatened to sue the league if Paul isn't allowed to be traded.

The league does own the Hornets, but Stern isn't a personnel guy, so he doesn't know what's best for them. When they took over the Hornets they promised to let the team be run autonomously by the GM, and that they wouldn't interfere or show bias for them. Paul for Martin, Odom, Scola, and a very promising young PG in Dragic, plus a 1st round draft pick. That is a smoking deal for the Hornets. The Lakers would have given up an All-Star Center, and the 6th man of the year, plus essentially two talented 7 footers. Houston gave up a ton to get a legitimate Center that they could build around, because of the loss of Ming. It was a good deal for everyone, but especially the Hornets.

Howard's agent has been given permission to speak with the Lakers, amongst a couple other teams. Would they trade for him? IDK. Bynum is a much better offensive player, but Howard is a much better defensive player. Bynum has had injury problems. If the Lakers give up Gasol, Odom, and Bynum, it doesn't leave them much left in the front line. No height and no depth, plus they would obviously be giving up some future considerations for Paul, thanks to Stern, and probably for Howard.