Chris Mortensen on the Rams' decision NOT to hire Ryan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2013/01/01292013094758.mp3[/rp3]

<a class="postlink" href="http://101sports.com/category/misc-blogs/20130129/Mortensen-discusses-Rob-Ryan-not-coming-to-the-Rams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://101sports.com/category/misc-blog ... -the-Rams/</a>

Chris Mortensen joined Zach McCrite this morning ( audio above ), shortly after the news broke that Rob Ryan would not be joining the Rams as their defensive coordinator. Here is a bit of what he said.

I had a few calls out to Jeff, we had a discussion about Rob Ryan and he reminded me that we never announced Rob Ryan as our defensive coordinator. He said he relay liked him but their second visit wrapped up yesterday and it was not a good scheme fit. Fisher said it was nothing against Rob, but after he met with the staff, it wasn’t going to work.

Fisher, all through his career, has been very deliberate with staff moves. It is the way Jeff works. He doesn’t want to rush in to hires. If you remember last year, Brian Schottenheimer was rumored to be the offensive coordinator but it took a couple weeks for him to be named to the position. Same thing happened here, it was the direction they were headed but when they realized it wasn’t going to be the type of fit he wanted, he wasn’t afraid to say it is not going to work. They never actually made an announcement that he was the defensive coordinator.

In terms of the scheme fit, it was a matter of the inner workings of the staff itself, what the coaches knew, how they like to coach, technique things, all those things went into it. There was still a lot of respect there for Rob. He has run the 4-3 with the Raiders, but Jeff likes things buckled down. He doesn’t like things that have a chance to mess up. So, why not make the left turn when common sense says to do so instead of going straight ahead.

I don’t think this opens the door for Gregg Williams to return, although it would be a good fit. But there are 4-3 guys out there. There will be some names that will pop up, but I guess people will learn not to report it so fast.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In terms of the scheme fit, it was a matter of the inner workings of the staff itself, what the coaches knew, how they like to coach, technique things, all those things went into it. There was still a lot of respect there for Rob. He has run the 4-3 with the Raiders, but Jeff likes things buckled down.

Sounds to me Ryan came in for a review of things with Rams defensive staff (sort of like a group interview).

I suspect the other coaches gave Fisher some feedback (likely good and bad) and he decided to go another direction based on that feedback plus his own observations of that review session.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
In terms of the scheme fit, it was a matter of the inner workings of the staff itself, what the coaches knew, how they like to coach, technique things, all those things went into it. There was still a lot of respect there for Rob. He has run the 4-3 with the Raiders, but Jeff likes things buckled down.

Sounds to me Ryan came in for a review of things with Rams defensive staff (sort of like a group interview).

I suspect the other coaches gave Fisher some feedback (likely good and bad) and he decided to go another direction based on that feedback plus his own observations of that review session.

Sounds about right.