Chris Long's Return to Rams up for Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Chris Long's return to Rams up for discussion
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/26881/chris-long-unlikely-to-return-at-current-price

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- We're moving closer to the start of the new league year and, along with it, the start of free agency. Which means over the next few weeks, the Los Angeles Rams will be taking a long look at the players already on the roster and determining whether they're worth their projected salary-cap numbers.

Some teams have already begun the process of releasing high-priced veterans to create salary-cap room. So this week, we'll take a look at some players who will come under the microscope for the Rams.

Player: DE Chris Long

Contract status: Signed through 2016 season.

2016 cap hit: $14.25 million

Potential savings: $12.75 million

Why he could go: By his own admission, Long's contributions over the past two seasons haven't matched his salary. He played just 18 games combined in 2014 and 2015 and even after returning from injuries in those years, he wasn't at 100 percent. Along the way, Long posted 24 tackles and four sacks and counted a total of more than $25 million against the salary cap. At 30, Long believes he still has good football left in him but for a Rams defense that's built on the pass rush, they likely want to get younger and cheaper to help complement Robert Quinn and Aaron Donald. It's unlikely the Rams will bring Long back at his current cost and though he told ESPN.com in January that he'd be willing to take a pay cut to stay, he also made it clear that winning is his top priority at this stage in his career. As hard as it might be for the Rams to part ways with a player as beloved in the locker room as Long, it might be best for all parties to move on.

Why he could stay: As mentioned above, Long has expressed at least some willingness to come back at a lesser rate. If the Rams could work something out with him, it would give them some much-needed salary-cap space while also allowing them to plan for the future at the position. Long is one of the team's leaders and they lean on him to help balance the locker room and offer guidance to their many young players. Both of his injuries over the past two seasons were fluky and he played well before the knee injury that slowed him this season, which offers some hope he can still be productive. Letting Long go would also only add to an ever-expanding list of needs for the Rams, who also have ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims scheduled to become unrestricted free agents.

fearsomefour

Legend
Re do his deal that keeps him under contract at a reduced rate for a couple of more years, resign Hayes, let Sims walk and draft a DE.
The saving would have to be enough to worth the hassle. Freeing up $5M to help bring the other FA back makes sense. If he is not willing to take a meaningful cut I am comfortable with Hayes starting at DE and Sims (then resigned) and a rookie DE adding depth.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm good with keeping him on a more team friendly deal. What does that mean I really have no clue when it gets right down to the numbers and how it affects the cap. Long is still a player with some upside in a rotation probably not an every down guy. There are probably a couple of guys at 15 but is that where they want to go with that pick?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
#1-Release .
#2-Sign LDE William Hayes to a moderate 5 million a yr 3 yr contract.
#3-Then let Chris Long find his NFL open market value $$$. If Long wants to continue to be a Ram then he could give the Rams an opportunity to match his open market value offers.

If Chris Long's offers are above what Hayes contract is then the Rams will go with Hayes & Quinn as starters with Westbrooks, Longacre along with a rookie DE draft pick as the 2016 seasons five DE's. Need to be wise secure $$ position to secure starting NT Michael Brockers UFA contract next season @ this time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would "REALY" like to see the Rams work out a deal that Keeps Long, and allow him to retire a Ram!! But I also want what's best for the Team!!
I Hope this^ is it!! Chris has a lot of un-measurable assets the Rams need!!JMHO

Rams43

Hall of Fame
#1-Release .
#2-Sign LDE William Hayes to a moderate 5 million a yr 3 yr contract.
#3-Then let Chris Long find his NFL open market value $$$. If Long wants to continue to be a Ram then he could give the Rams an opportunity to match his open market value offers.

If Chris Long's offers are above what Hayes contract is then the Rams will go with Hayes & Quinn as starters with Westbrooks, Longacre along with a rookie DE draft pick as the 2016 seasons five DE's. Need to be wise secure $$ position to secure starting NT Michael Brockers UFA contract next season @ this time.

I'm 100% behind your first two items, Bonifay.

But my #3 would be to draft Long's replacement this year, no matter what. Time to move on, I think.

I'm done with hanging on to players that have injuries that kill us year after year. After Bradford, Saffold, and Long, I've finally seen the light.

Besides, this is an outstanding DE draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm 100% behind your first two items, Bonifay.

But my #3 would be to draft Long's replacement this year, no matter what. Time to move on, I think.

I'm done with hanging on to players that have injuries that kill us year after year. After Bradford, Saffold, and Long, I've finally seen the light.

Besides, this is an outstanding DE draft.

The #3 was my weak attempt to offer CL the opportunity to return. My thoughts have been posted for well over 2 months on this subject. It's my belief that William Hayes has been the far more effective LDE the last two seasons & in truth the Rams bona fide starter over CL. WH has shown there is so much more left in his tank in comparison to CL. Both being 31 yrs old ...CL looks on the field a shell of his previous form. Hayes is still an above average LDE.

I also think that CL can get a good size contract from teams like the Raiders & so on that he would get offers way above what his worth is to the 2016 Ram team. If the Rams see a LDE like a Lawson or a Buckner with the 3 QB's are off the board they will jump fast to secure one of them. This will certainly diminish the worries about health of Rob Quinn & next yrs UFA event with DT Brockers.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Well, this is what I was afraid was going to happened when Fisher (27-36-1 .420) got hired. The Rams still have a losing record. Now going into year 5 the stars in 2012 are aging and will probably be cut due to their salaries. The Rams will have to replace these guys with draft picks which they need for the OL, QB, and probably TE and WR (Ie cut Cook). Add to that its now time to start resigning drafts picks that were drafted under Fisher's watch, and there are a lot of them that need to be resigned. If they don't resign them then they have to draft to replace them. Again with draft picks that they need for the OL QB, and probably TE, WR. Top all this off with the QB situation and this is a complete mess.
As far as Long is concerned "he also made it clear that winning is his top priority at this stage in his career." So that leaves the Rams out of the picture. I wish him luck finding a winning team that will sign him. I think it won't be much of a problem for him. He will be an asset wherever he goes. It will suck seeing the heart of this team leave.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Got no problem bringing him back at a salary based on his last 2 years performance, which is a little above the vet. min. and let him compete.He's a good team guy and as a situational player he can be effective.
Chris has always been a high motor guy,he never had the elite physical tools like Donald or Quinn, He got by on technique and being relentless.
The problem with motors is from all the extreme effort they start to lose compression and leak oil over time. They spend more and more time in the shop.
Either way I thank Chris for being for being one of the few bright spots during the worst period of NFL history.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Chris Long is one of my all time favorite Rams and I would love to see him finish his career here but hes gonna have to take a major pay cut. My Ideal scenario would be to let Hayes walk restructure long and use that extra money to sign JPP.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Long is one of my favourite Rams, he's so much more than the on the field player and i think he contributes far more to the team than his playing ability. I don't think it's coincidence that our D-line works better when he's in the mix of things... this in IMO obviously - I just think he's like a Marshall, I'd like to see him retire a Ram and to do that I'd like him to re-structure his contract allowing us to re-sign Hayes, basically a 2 for the price of 1, and we may have to use one of R2 picks for an heir apparent...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Got no problem bringing him back at a salary based on his last 2 years performance, which is a little above the vet. min. and let him compete.He's a good team guy and as a situational player he can be effective.
Chris has always been a high motor guy,he never had the elite physical tools like Donald or Quinn, He got by on technique and being relentless.
The problem with motors is from all the extreme effort they start to lose compression and leak oil over time. They spend more and more time in the shop.
Either way I thank Chris for being for being one of the few bright spots during the worst period of NFL history.

I think you're onto something there, hopper.

Sign Long to a very small contract loaded with incentives. What could be more fair?

It almost makes TOO much sense. Lol.