Chris Long Lets Be Honest Maybe Overratted?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm curious...what constitutes a "2nd overall type of guy?"

Chris Long, as much as I know...

Never takes plays off.
Produces sacks for the stat monkeys.
One of the highest amount of QB pressures/hurries in the NFL.
Rarely misses games.
Provides a veteran presence, leader, etc.

And like you said, good run defender, and makes that RT sore after games.

Seems to me he's a complete player and an important part of this team.

I think it's high time we stop putting labels next players regarding draft positions, salaries, and whatnot that has no effect of on-field performance. It's up to the player himself to produce.

For me, Top 5 guys go to TD makers. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade him for any other LE in football. The dude is a beast. I think people get to caught up in stats. But with that said, if I was a GM and im picking 2, Our problems are probably deeper than a DE. I would be going with a skill position.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Never takes plays off.
Rarely misses games.

^ This.

He might be a little overpaid, but he's a steady force you can count on... On and off the field.

A very good player. I'm proud he's a Ram.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I think your delusional to think that JL is just the best player on a D on an untalented team. I think you need to re-examine that evaluation. James is a great leader and very rarely misses tackles. He lacks ideal coverage ability against the more speedy TE and backs, but the dude has great instincts and without a doubt, if he played for a team like the 9ers, it would be his name known over Willis.

If jl was om the 49ers he would be the weak link in the lb corp. He is slow and gets ran over more times than not, becuase he takes hits instead of delivers them. But yes he is a sure tackler in a sence. And I meant jl and long were the most talented playwrs on d in pass years, like before fisher. Not so much anymore and no im not delushional... More like realistic. Both players are pretty good but nothing to write home about is what I'm saying, but atleast long can impact a game sometimes

V3

Hall of Fame
Chris Long is every bit as good as Aaron Kampman, what are you talking about? I think the problem with some Rams fans (or fans in general, for that matter) is that they overrate other teams' players because they don't watch them as often as they do their own players, all they see are the highlights.

Chris Long is a very good player, he just isn't as good as a Robert Quinn because Quinn is an absolute freak of nature. I wouldn't have a problem drafting a Jadeveon Clowney because Clowney is another freak of nature, but you can win with a team full of Longs (literally with Jake Long, Chris Long, Kyle Long, etc.).

Kampman was WAY better against the run and was better at rushing. The only thing that prevented him from having a more noteworthy career was injuries. But the fact remains that Kampman's peak was much higher than Long's. Just look at the number of tackles and assists. Long is not that good against the run. Kampman's sacks were higher, too. He's high up there in QB pressures as well. If you give me the choice between Kampman and Long in their prime, I'm taking Kampman every single time. It's not even close.

I'm not saying Long is bad but he's not worth where he was chosen (I know it could have been worse) and he's not worth what he's being paid now. He's a solid player and a good leader. He just isn't as good as many make him out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Why does it seem like Rams fans want to look for problems/issues or say they are overrated w/ their players?

I get what you're saying, but I think it's probably because the team has been the worst in league history over the past decade. Can lead to some bitching.

V3

Hall of Fame
Why does it seem like Rams fans want to look for problems/issues or say they are overrated w/ their players?

In order to get better you first have to identify the problems and/or weak spots. While Long may not be a problem, he isn't as strong as we could get and he's taking up a huge portion of the salary cap which can weaken the team overall.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I would say that Long is an outstanding DE in his own right.

He's like Scotty Pippen playing with Jordan though. A little under appreciated right now I think.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sometimes I wish the salary cap was a private matter that only the teams and league knew about/had access to. That way people could just gauge a player's performance on the field without playing forensic accountant at the same time. Chris Long is not a player that I'd wish off the team, and I don't care what he makes. It's not like this front office (Kevin Demoff) just throws money around without weighing future contracts of other players into the equation. We're front loading contracts on our key players and taking into consideration that they might not continue to produce after the first couple/three years. If you look at all the professed ĹŤffensive contracts closely, you'll see that the penalties are greatly reduced if we decide to part ways with them after a couple years of the initial or restructured contract.

And for me, personally, wailing about things I can't change is an exercise in bitchassness.

RamsFan14

Starter
I personally don't think he's overrated, I think he's a pretty darn good football player. I wouldn't call him great, but given his leadership and solid play, I would still consider him one of our best players on the team all around. Solid player, great leader, good teammate to have... I'll take it.

Btw... He did say Robert Quinn is the most talented football player he's ever seen (something along those lines) at the beginning of the year, possibly during camp. WOW did he really call that!!! I was hearing Quinn was getting stuffed by Jake Long during camp, but Chris Long makes a comment like that and... Just wow, he nailed that on the head!

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Long was injured all year, to what extent nobody knows. Fisher was resting him during the week for the bulk of the year. I think he comes back next year with bigger numbers, more impact.
I think he dealt with a hip issue most of the year.

Alan

Legend
Username showing his faulty memory:
I get what you're saying, but I think it's probably because the team has been the worst in league history over the past decade. Can lead to some bitching.

Maybe, but I think there's a simpler explanation.

How many months until the draft?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
In order to get better you first have to identify the problems and/or weak spots. While Long may not be a problem, he isn't as strong as we could get and he's taking up a huge portion of the salary cap which can weaken the team overall.

Long might be a bit overpaid, but there would be lots of other players we could cut to get more cap room. Finnegan would be first in line, with Wells and then Dahl after that. Until we cut those guys, the Long argument is just pointless.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Kampman was WAY better against the run and was better at rushing. The only thing that prevented him from having a more noteworthy career was injuries. But the fact remains that Kampman's peak was much higher than Long's. Just look at the number of tackles and assists. Long is not that good against the run. Kampman's sacks were higher, too. He's high up there in QB pressures as well. If you give me the choice between Kampman and Long in their prime, I'm taking Kampman every single time. It's not even close.

I'm not saying Long is bad but he's not worth where he was chosen (I know it could have been worse) and he's not worth what he's being paid now. He's a solid player and a good leader. He just isn't as good as many make him out to be.
Kampman grew into a good player, was a hard worker . . . but as far as pass rushing Long is much better. Long has led NFL in hurries from 2010-2012, Kampman, was a personal favorite, who became very good through very good technique . . .yes he had injuries later, but he had some so-so season until be became good. Against the run, I would also favor Kampman, but lots of that it that he was asked to do that and the scheme in GB was let up for him being a run-stopper Long is pretty decent against the run, though. He's not the best, by any means, but Rams scheme is for him to play the run on the way to passer . . . just my take

V3

Hall of Fame
Long might be a bit overpaid, but there would be lots of other players we could cut to get more cap room. Finnegan would be first in line, with Wells and then Dahl after that. Until we cut those guys, the Long argument is just pointless.

I totally agree with that. I'm just going off of the premise of the thread; i.e. Long is a bit overrated. That doesn't mean he's not good, though. He's down the list of players for which the Rams need a replacement. Long's ability is one of the reasons why someone like Clowney won't really thrill me if the Rams took him.

V3

Hall of Fame
Kampman grew into a good player, was a hard worker . . . but as far as pass rushing Long is much better. Long has led NFL in hurries from 2010-2012, Kampman, was a personal favorite, who became very good through very good technique . . .yes he had injuries later, but he had some so-so season until be became good. Against the run, I would also favor Kampman, but lots of that it that he was asked to do that and the scheme in GB was let up for him being a run-stopper Long is pretty decent against the run, though. He's not the best, by any means, but Rams scheme is for him to play the run on the way to passer . . . just my take

Like I said, Kampman was good at QB hurries:

http://www.neilcornrich.com/2012/02/aaron-kampman-is-packers-single-season.html

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G

So is Long, http://www.ramsgab.com/2010/12/29/chris-long-leads-the-nfl-in-hurries/ led NFL in 2010, and had most in NFL from 2010-2012 according to boith Football Outsiders and Pro Football Focus. http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2012/3...ris-long-is-one-of-the-elite-nfl-pass-rushers

It's one thing to lead your team in hurries, it's another to lead NFL or be in NFL top 5. I don't say this to discount Kampman, I like him a lot. But he was not the pass rusher Long is. But Kampman was better versus the run and was still good pass rusher.

iced

I'm curious...what constitutes a "2nd overall type of guy?"

Never takes plays off.
Rarely misses games.

And like you said, good run defender, and makes that RT sore after games.

Seems to me he's a complete player and an important part of this team.

I think it's high time we stop putting labels next players regarding draft positions, salaries, and whatnot that has no effect of on-field performance. It's up to the player himself to produce.

this ^

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Wait...so he's not a problem, but b/c of money he weakens the team overall? Couldn't that apply to any player that gets a big money contract?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me, Top 5 guys go to TD makers. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade him for any other LE in football. The dude is a beast. I think people get to caught up in stats. But with that said, if I was a GM and im picking 2, Our problems are probably deeper than a DE. I would be going with a skill position.

GMs typically go the opposite direction. For them, top 5 picks go to QBs, the guy who protects the QB(LT) and the guy who pressures the QB(DE/DT).

If you look at positional value, QB is #1 and pass rushers are generally considered to be #2. Although WRs seem to have caught up with tackles now.

Last edited by a moderator: