Chris Givens reflects on his 2013 season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The last two I imagine is being worked on. The physicality part I am afraid you are not going to get. That is just not his style.
I will take 2 of 3 if he shows real improvement in them. The competitiveness and hunger will bring enough physical play to suit me fine, acknowledging of course that indeed he is not a physical receiver by nature and size.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is that magical third year WR's traditionally put it together. Let's hope he comes through as an offensive weapon in 2014.

Im really expecting big things from Givens in his third year. He has spent enough time in the league to know the ropes by now and put it all together

scifiman

Always a good sign when a player reaches out for help and takes it and devotes himself during the off season. Too many of these guys wait until the workouts to get in shape which is not good. I understand the need to rest and heal after a season but it should not come at the price of stamina and endurance. You can swim and run and build that up. While everyone else is huffing and puffing in the 4th quarter you are still ready to go.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If there was anything I wanted to hear from the WR corps, that's it. He could be a huge threat. I'm glad he cares and spent the effort. We'l see if it translates.

This is what I like to call The Britt Effect.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Encouraging. All you can ask for really. Kid knew he needed help, and he went and got it from some of the best. Didn't sit on his ass, stayed out of trouble, and is trying to get better as a player and a person. Has my respect. Cheering for him.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I don't believe he will be consistently better...I have been reading 40 years of stories like this--20% of the time they bear out to be true--I just don't believe it with Givens for these reasons: Too many things wrong with him--one dimensional. Ya, ya, ya now he is focused (for 2014)---a) but what about the average hands,
b) not physical off the line, c) lack of feel for the game. I would rather develop Quick in to a 40 reception guy than Givens. After re-watching every game, I don't believe he has what it takes to be a starter. He plays like he is 185 pounds; that doesn't work anymore, unless you a) run great patterns, b)have great hands and can c) come in and out of your breaks with explosion; Givens doesn't fit this (for me). Sorry, don't want to ruin your Ram day;)

HOwever, he could be a great contributor coming off the bench, and catch 3-4 long touchdowns versus some teams 3rd corner--who isn't paying attention.
I think Baily starts and Quick, Givens and Britt rotate in and combine for 120 catches between the three of them. Maybe Pettis another 30+ and 5 td's.

Fisher History:
Watch all the Fisher teams from 99 to 2008: almost all of them have the tight end as the main 3rd down reciever. The Rams needs some one like Frank Wycheck (Pete HOlohan intelligence/feel for game). I think they draft another receiving tight end....especially with Kendrick leaving after 2014(?)
ALOT of the key catches in FIsher-Titan era were caught with McNair scrambling or 'throwin one up'....and the receiver came down with it. Fisher never, ever had a QB (outside of Kerry Collins) who consistently hit WR's on timing patterns.

Now, all that said about his history: Bradford can hit on the timing patterns; and I think that if you watch the Seattle-49er 2012 games you will see that it was easy for Bradford to hit the 6-12 yarders that keep the chains moving--even with mediocre WR's. Why? Because Bradford can thread the needle. With the NFC West defenses the holes are open for nano seconds, and the holes are tiny. Bradford is the man who can beat those defenses; and, he needs a running game and 3 seconds.

I think I like writing too much-sorry....As much as I want Watkins, I think we should chance it, and develop our O line....and then if we suck again at WR, we can draft a first rounder next year---and then it will be 2016 that we will have our hopes come true!

RamBill

Legend
'Humbled' Givens refocuses on football
By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_fbef2b96-da5e-532b-8659-f3ff7fe25a30.html

A year ago at this time following a successful rookie season, Rams wide receiver Chris Givens described himself as cocky.
But after a sophomore slump in which his receptions and reception yards decreased, and his touchdowns disappeared entirely, Givens says he’s a humbled man entering his third NFL season.

“Oh yeah. Zero touchdowns?” Givens said. “That’s never happened; never happened in my career. That’s something that I look at it now, and I’m like God got my attention with that.”

Givens, a fourth-round pick from Wake Forest in 2012, had a modest three TD catches as a rookie, but he also had a rookie record of five consecutive games with a reception of 50 yards or more. He led the Rams with 698 yards receiving, a total exceeded by only three rookies that season.

But getting skunked in 2013 in terms of TDs, that was unfathomable to the speedy Givens.

“Looking back on it, that would’ve been the only thing to get my attention,” he said. “That’s what had to happen so I could have the focus and dedication and drive that I have now.”

So to say Givens was anxious to get back to Rams Park for Monday’s start of the offseason program would be understatement.

“It’s been the longest offseason of my life,” Givens said. “It’s just a constant reminder every day of what I didn’t accomplish — all because I got in my own way. So I’ve been waiting for this day for the longest (time).”

The proof of course will come in September and beyond, when the regular season starts. But Givens has taken a lot of steps to get his game back on track since the 2013 finale against Seattle when he didn’t have a single catch. He decided that he had to make changes in his life and make football his No. 1 priority.

“When I was young, I felt like I was trying to do too much, please too many people,” he said. “Saying ‘yes’ too much. Being afraid to let my light shine because of how it made someone else feel. So I humbled myself and made football my job. Made it a priority. And I just started writing goals and doing a lot of things.”

Hall of Fame defensive back Aeneas Williams has been a mentor of Givens for some time. After Williams told Givens he reminded him of Isaac Bruce, that led to Givens getting in touch with the former Rams wide receiver great.

“I just talk to Isaac about anything,” Givens said. “If I’m watching film from a game, I’m like, ‘what can I do to beat this?’ He gives me little tips. On how to set goals. Or what was your mentality approaching the offseason? And things like that.”

Givens, who was suspended by coach Jeff Fisher for one game as a rookie, hasn’t always surrounded himself with the best crowd. He spent most of this offseason in the Phoenix area, in part to separate himself from possible distractions.

“That was the main idea,” Givens said. “I just had to get away from anybody and anything that wasn’t completely focused on being the best that they could be, day in and day out. When you take your focus to that level, there’s not a lot of people that have that same focus. So I just had to do what was best for me and the team at this point.”

In Arizona he worked with longtime fitness and martial arts instructor Mack Newton. Givens described him as “this 68-year-old trainer. ... Old school. No weight-lifting. He works on building you up from the inside-out. Before every class, we’d sit down and talk for like an hour, just about spiritual things, and having the proper self-esteem.”

Williams, who has worked with Newton, suggested Givens see Newton a year ago. “But I was so cocky,” Givens said. “ ‘I don’t need Mack. I can do it myself.’ “

That changed this year. While in Arizona, Givens also worked with another former NFL receiving great — former St. Louis and Arizona Cardinal Roy Green. (Green also has trained with Newton.)

“Working with Roy, he was a guy with a lot of speed when he played, and patience was the biggest thing he had to learn,” Givens said. “We went through every route on the route tree, and he pointed out when I should be patient, when I shouldn’t be patient, on every single route.”

By now, Givens has put the frustration of last season behind him, a season that included a shoulder injury and an especially nagging ankle injury. Givens didn’t miss any games but said the ankle injury required a lot of maintenance and bothered him most of the year.

“My goals right now are to be really involved with the team, and to really embrace the whole concept of team,” Givens said. “And just to be a leader. Be a finisher. Be a catalyst. To do everything I need to do to put my body in the best position to start (training) camp.”

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I sure hope it works out for him. He cant rely on his speed alone.
We're a better team when Givens can stretch the the opponents defense.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He has too many tools to perform like he did. Hopefully he's maturing and is getting things straight. I line what I'm hearing.

jap

Legend
FWIW he couldn't have chosen two better mentors than Bruce and Williams.

Yeah, he's reaching out to the very best of people. Isaac is simply one of the most complete receivers I have ever seen. He literally could do it all: sell defenders on the lie that he was the main target, drawing 2-3 defenders, thereby setting up easy catches for his teammates. As slight as he was, he would put his body out there for blocks, with a personal record of 14 pancake blocks! in a single game. He had the rare ability to make 90-degree cuts at full speed---a Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, Tavon Austin feat that so very few can replicate.

Aeneas brought it on every single play, even in practice. He would make interceptions in practice and hustle full out to the end zone like it was a live game. The Rams coaching brass would point out Aeneas to young DB's and say, "Do whatever you see that guy doing!" An 8-time ProBowler, Aeneas was a standout at CB and FS. He made the hit on Steve Young that ended the QB's career. I still remember the hit he put on Ricky Williams that sent Ricky to the sidelines.

You couldn't choose mentors better than these two guys who sold their bodies out for the team on every single play. I don't know if Chris has the body to absorb big hits consistently. However, as a former RB, if he can use his running smarts
and native speed/quickness to extend plays and make it difficult for defenders to get clean shots at him, he can really extend his effectiveness and, ultimately, his career.

F. Mulder

Starter
I could have sworn that last season during camp, Givens was making comments about working with Bruce and some of the other ex-Rams in becoming a complete player and having a better season than the 2012 one. I may have to do some surfing to find that but what he is saying in the most recent article seemingly contradicts what he was saying last year. Givens has a lot of talent. He'll never be an inside 50/50 type WR but he can run and he can be a playmaker.

My issues with him continue to be inconsistent effort, always seemingly banged up, an ineffective route running, poor hands, and the ability to disappear for long stretches of a game. Im content to take the Givens who makes the 2-3 big plays a game vs hoping he becomes a consistent all-around WR at this point. I just don't see it. Would love to be wrong.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I've been telling everyone not to write Givens off. He just needs a big armed QB to get him the ball.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Pead had a similar story like this at the end of preseason last year. I hope he improves, but talk is cheap. I wanna see production.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been telling everyone not to write Givens off. He just needs a big armed QB to get him the ball.

A big armed qb did get him the ball, he just kept dropping them.