Chip Kelly’s Trade For Sam Bradford Is Paying Off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I watched parts of the game against the bills and Sam was money with almost every throw. If it wasn't there he didn't force it and just overthrew the ball. If it was there the ball was always on their hands. Amazing how many of them go straight through the hands. Crazy how they can make some great catches then drop very simple ones.

The Rams would be a much better team with Sam behind centre.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
I think that even when the trade happened there was little question who was the more talented QB...but, the winner of the trade would really be dependent on what we do with the second, if the Eagles do make the playoffs and actually win and if Sam is resigned.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
How is this not "crap and speculation" as well? See how that works?
because we at least knew what bradford could do here under similar Oline situations although not as bad as this one once the starters got hurt but Foles was blowing games even with the starters. Phillys line is also shit and Bradford couldn't do much when Murray couldn't run and his recievers dropped everything but Foles was still shit when Gurley was going consecutive 125+ yards. and cus off the top of my head I believe Bradford has been hit just as much as Foles. and Bradfords not gonna overthrow 3 consecutive redzone passes leaving the announcers chuckling last game. and you threw in your own speculation saying Bradfords knee wouldn't have lasted the season. call mine speculation or not but the rest is true

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Ask this.
If Bradford was still a Ram and got the team to even 8 wins this year. Would you want to resign him to a big money long term contract after the season ?
if not the Rams are in the same place as they are now. But without a extra 2nd.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Against New England they only scored two offensive TDs. How is that noteworthy? Then they eke one out against the mediocre Bills.

Sam may be better than Foles and Kelly may be showing us how inept Fishers crew is at developing QBs but Sam has not played like a top QB and a few wins, one which had nothing to do with Sam is nothing to write a praising article about.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
The trade was and is a disaster! It marked the moment when this regime panicked. I think the Eagles are the best team in that division, and we will be watching Bradford make his first playoff start. There is also a real good chance Foles never starts another game again! Well played Snisher.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In Foles poor year in Philly, he threw 13 td in 8 games with an 81.5 rating and 6 wins. Bradford thru 11 games has 14 td, an 82.9 rating and 6 wins.
We can only assume that Bradford would do better than Foles in St Louis this season, the reality is that he pretty much is playing at best equal to Foles last year.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Two separate issues. Bradford's (way) better than Foles. Always was and always will be. Duh.

Snisher made a good decision in the trade?
Arguable, but yes.

And while we owe Folds $6M, his total of $12M needs to be compared to SB's $12M last year and his probable $18M next year.

Loved Sam, but he really left a bad taste in my mouth after making $60M for basically 3 Years, wouldn't discuss a deal (paycut).

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys have amnesia I think. I used to have a tug in my gut with every hit on Bradford. You may hate Foles, but he's a tough SOB for not getting knocked out of the Green Bay game....I don't think Bradford survives that game for us, if not injured before then. The Bradford experiment was over for me aftrer the last ACL tear, so for me getting a 2nd rounder is a big plus.....Our future QB is neither Bradford nor Foles....

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Good trade for both sides. Many thought it was a lopsided trade in the Rams favor. It's clearly not viewed that way anymore. Sam is in a better situation in Philly and I like Keenum. If only Boras and Keenum were in from week one. Too bad, we got it right now. Let's see how the rest of the season goes. We beat a DET team that is better than WAS, BAL, and CHI IMHO. I think we're working out the kinks.

fancents86

Starter
Bradford was always the better qb, but I don't think Bradford would do anything but get hurt behind this oline. He was already hurt for 2 games with Philly, it could have been worse in a situation here. We just need to move on from Bradford, he's old news.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wait a sec... you mean an offensive genius wins a trade for a QB over a defensive staff that can't find their rear ends offensively with a map and a flashlight?

Not really a surprise. It was about the cap and not being screwed by Sam getting injured again, but sure let's pour more salt on the wound. I liked the trade for those two reasons, and still do. Hope the Eagles sign Sam to a mega contract and start printing out Super Bowl tickets this offseason. Good luck with that Chip, you prick.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
There was nothing wrong with that trade from our point of view. We got rid of a QB that we simply couldn't rely on to stay healthy. It would've been outright negligent of this coaching staff to have expected Bradford to stay healthy.

We also got rid of a huge chunk of salary cap space and got a second round pick which is valuable.

The mistake we made was giving Foles a new contract before he played a single snap. That was entirely separate to the trade itself. Now obviously I'm saying this with the benefit of hindsight but the camp reports that @CoachO was posting weren't exactly glowing when it came to Foles plus would it really have done any harm to see what we had before putting a contract offer in front of him. I don't think so.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
20-20-hindsight.jpg

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
There was nothing wrong with that trade from our point of view. We got rid of a QB that we simply couldn't rely on to stay healthy. It would've been outright negligent of this coaching staff to have expected Bradford to stay healthy.

We also got rid of a huge chunk of salary cap space and got a second round pick which is valuable.

The mistake we made was giving Foles a new contract before he played a single snap. That was entirely separate to the trade itself. Now obviously I'm saying this with the benefit of hindsight but the camp reports that @CoachO was posting weren't exactly glowing when it came to Foles plus would it really have done any harm to see what we had before putting a contract offer in front of him. I don't think so.
Exactly, even if Sam had remained healthy this season and played slightly better than Foles for Cignetti, he and his agent would have bent us over next year. The only dumb move for the Rams was extending his contract before playing a regular season snap.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm still torn on this one.

Sam is the better QB. No question.

But; I can't imagine the Rams banking on him after losing 2 seasons to knees. Now... coming into a new contract... what would we have to pay, with all that risk?

I love the player (Sam). If he stays healthy he's going to be just fine. But that's just it... he's not the most durable guy.

We got a 2nd rounder. Let's make some good out of that. Page turned.

Good luck, Sam.

Athos

Legend
Bradford could have put the game away and threw an int then took a terrible sack which gave buffalo better field position.
Sure he's playing better than Foles, but so is Blaine Gabbert. Point is, he has been pretty disappointing in his own right and the the Eagles have a big decision about re-signing him

Getting real tired of this. Bradford hadn't started a game since the midish way point of 2013. And since then, two ACLs, a trade, a new system, a WR corps leading the league in drops....

And he's looking this good? Shiiiiit. That speaks to his talent imo. Can you honestly give me an example or hypothesis for how good a QB would be after getting brutalizing his first years in the league, suffering nasty injuries, being out of the NFL basically for two years, come into a new system with shit WRs, and play this well?

Bloody nonsense. I really don't understand the Bradford disdain. Never have. We drafted a franchise level QB and surrounded him with pure shit for protection and offensive skill players leading to his "mediocre" play. Never mind forcing him into a system offense rather than designing an offense for him like most sane teams do these days to maximize a young QBs particular skills.

The Rams have no one to blame but themselves for how his career went here. No one.

And yes, as you can clearly see, I'm still pissed. Had we not surrounded him with garbage like Turnstile Richardson and co, I doubt we'd be worried about our QB situation.

But no. Surround him with cast offs and over the hill vets and practice squad cuts. That's a real winning strategy.

Peace out.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I loved the trade. I'm a Sam Bradford fan, but the Rams got rid of an injury prone QB with a HUGE contract, got a 2nd round pick and Nick Foles to boot. Where things went awry for me is when they gave Foles that ridiculous contract extension before the season which was beyond stupid.:mad: