Chiefs release Brandon Flowers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just saw it on my bleacher report app. Should be a link soon, ill post it when I see it. They save 9 mil in cap space.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
So he will clear waivers and sign with the 49ers in hopes of winning a Super bowl........................

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Flowers struggled when the Chiefs went man heavy last season. I don't see him as a fit here.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I hope he does. He's very overrated IMO.
Flowers isnt even close to overrated. He's consistently been a top 5 cover corner every year and definitely one of the best zone corners. Besides last year, where he was out of water in that scheme along with a suffering from a knee injury, he's been awesome. If you watched him play at all, that would be obvious. At least to me.

I don't know if he is a fit here, not sure exactly what Williams runs, but he would be a great addition if our scheme fits. I would hate if the 49ers got him, because he can and has shut down many WRs. He's definitely one of the best.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Flowers isnt even close to overrated. He's consistently been a top 5 cover corner every year and definitely one of the best zone corners. Besides last year, where he was out of water in that scheme along with a suffering from a knee injury, he's been awesome. If you watched him play at all, that would be obvious. At least to me.

I don't know if he is a fit here, not sure exactly what Williams runs, but he would be a great addition if our scheme fits. I would hate if the 49ers got him, because he can and has shut down many WRs. He's definitely one of the best.

Well, I believe in order to be considered one of the best in the game, you should do everything really well. He was great in zone coverage, but when they lined him up man to man, he was very mediocre. Is a good corner? Sure. But he's not somebody I would be scared to go up against week to week.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is Chris Houston any good?
He's a very good player in my opinion, but can't stay healthy. In his best season which was in 2011, he had like 54 combined tackles, 5 INT's, 2 TD's, and 14 passes defended in 14 games.

Last year he only played 12 games and had almost 50 tackles, 2 INT's, and 9 passes defended. So I mean his production hasn't really fallen off... it's still there. It's just his health that is the problem.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
He's a very good player in my opinion, but can't stay healthy. In his best season which was in 2011, he had like 54 combined tackles, 5 INT's, 2 TD's, and 14 passes defended in 14 games.

Last year he only played 12 games and had almost 50 tackles, 2 INT's, and 9 passes defended. So I mean his production hasn't really fallen off... it's still there. It's just his health that is the problem.

The Detroit Free Press reports the Lions had "legitimate concerns" about whether free agent CB Chris Houston (toe surgery) would ever return to form before releasing him on Friday.
Houston underwent "major" toe surgery in May -- his second operation of the offseason -- and reportedly has a degenerative condition in the foot. Per beat writer Dave Birkett, the Lions fear "Houston's career was essentially over." Houston's agent predictably stated Friday that Houston should "make a full recovery" and play football in 2014. The rest of the NFL will determine that.
Related: Lions
Source: Detroit Free Press
Jun 13 - 4:33 PM

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Well, I believe in order to be considered one of the best in the game, you should do everything really well. He was great in zone coverage, but when they lined him up man to man, he was very mediocre. Is a good corner? Sure. But he's not somebody I would be scared to go up against week to week.

Hes good in man, just not the best. Cant use him in press like they were doing against big receivers, just not his game. Let him play 3-5 yards off and hes pretty good in man. He can play press man in the slot though, which is where we would use him. So while I understand what youre saying, hes not bad enough for me to consider him overrated. He definitely can hold his own against the best in man, like he has done in his career. I would say he would still be the best man corner on our roster.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Hes good in man, just not the best. Cant use him in press like they were doing against big receivers, just not his game. Let him play 3-5 yards off and hes pretty good in man. He can play press man in the slot though, which is where we would use him. So while I understand what youre saying, hes not bad enough for me to consider him overrated. He definitely can hold his own against the best in man, like he has done in his career. I would say he would still be the best man corner on our roster.

I guess the term "overrated" would be taking it too far to describe him as a player. I do agree with your assessment, he can follow his man pretty well, I just don't think the Chiefs would have released him if he was a top 5 corner, which a lot of analysts believe he is.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
IF ... the Rams have the cap space, I would take a flier on Flowers. One thing that IS sorely lacking in our secondary, it is experience. He has talent and is not very old or injury plagued.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Like others have already said, guy got beaten like a drum after the Chiefs went man heavy, with William's coming it with a man heavy scheme he's all but worthless to the Rams.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Brandon Flowers in many ways disappointed in 2013. Although Brandon was third on the Chiefs with 68 tackles, he missed 3 games, intercepted a career low 1 pass, and defended a career low 8 passes. Profootball Focus rated Brandon -5.9 overall and -9.8 in coverage. That being said, I wouldn't surprised if the 49'ers picked some faded June Flowers.