Cheltenham Festival

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
National Hunt racing probably means nothing to Americans.

It's a form of racing in which horses race over extended distances (the minimum is two miles) and obstacles have to be jumped. In a two-mile race, you have either eight hurdles or twelve fences; the highest number of obstacles is in the Grand National, a famous race run in April each year in Liverpool, in which they jump thirty fences.

Bear in mind that when you're riding a horse at up to 40mph, anything can happen. Try keeping control of a car at 40mph, without power-assisted steering and all other mod cons. A horse is a free-willed creature, not a machine.

Sadly, accidents do happen. Horses fall at an obstacle or jockeys get otherwise unshipped from their mounts. Since 1980, fourteen jockeys have died in action in the UK alone. A jockey earns approximately £14,000 per year (excluding winnings). That equates to about $19,500 per year.

Think about that the next time that you say that NFL players are putting their lives on the line.

Anyway, Cheltenham starts tomorrow. If you can, watch the races, enjoy the sport and appreciate the risks these guys take for next to nothing.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Flipper,

I thought about mentioning this but didn't think it would garner much interest!

Anyway glad you did. I was there Tuesday and yesterday. Haven't done too badly with one winner each day (Midnight Prayer and Balthazar King). Could have been so much better had Champagne Fever and Smad Place won and had The New One and Katgary not been hampered. That's the way it goes though and I had a great time watching the top class racing.

I'll post up my losers.......I mean top tips later and we can see how we get on.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad you're enjoying yourself, mate. I used to be an annual member at Cheltenham way back in the early nineties but it started to get too corporate by the end of that decade. Not only did all the best seats go to the day trippers but the racecourse executive started charging extra for the festival, whereas before annual membership used to cover all meetings.

I mainly bet ante post; like you, I was on both The New One and Smad Place. My main bet for the meeting is Bobs Worth tomorrow.

Good luck with your punting today; the clash between Big Buck's and Annie Power should be one to savour.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1:30 - Taquin De Seuil
2:05 - On The Bridge
2:40 - Al Ferof
3:20 - Big Buck's
4:00 - Colour Squadron
4:40 - Twirling Magnet & Gas Line Boy

Here is what I'm doing today. Very hard again, I'll settle for one winner. Difficult to pick between Big Bucks and Annie Power, hopefully BB is back to his best.

Oh and you can have a flutter on the Gold Cup in the sports book, think I'll be joining you on Bobs Worth.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Today's selections. Come on I could do with a couple!

1.30 - Royal Irish Hussar
2.05 - Lac Fontana
2.40 - King's Palace
3.20 - Bob's Worth
4.00 - Divine Intavention
4.40 - Vieux Lion Rouge
5.15 - Eastlake

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Good luck with those. I've just got my ante post bet on Bobs Worth today; not getting involved on the day because the drying ground is going to present a whole different test for a lot of today's runners.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Glad I didn't get involved today- that was a terrible set of results there. And to make things worse, Bob has run at least a stone below his best form there- the Gold Cup was a stirring race but there's no way that Lord Windermere, On His Own and The Giant Bolster beat a peak-form Bobs Worth.

Still, hope that you had a terrific time. Only 361 days to go until the next Festival.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Definitely a day for the bookies yesterday. Lac Fontana saved me and I won a few quid on Ruby Walsh as top jockey..........which was a tad lucky after his injury in the 1st race. All about the Midlands National for me now!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I've never heard of this but sounds interesting. I find myself easily interested in British sport if only exposed but get virtually no exposure stateside. We Americans have plenty sport to keep our attention but sports nuts like myself can find time to squeeze more in. I found myself getting into Rugby and Cricket last year and have tried to get into futbol without much success.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I've never heard of this but sounds interesting.
It's always good to attract new followers. Have a look on YouTube- all the races are on there. I'd recommend that you start with the 2014 Champion Hurdle and the 2013 Cheltenham Gold Cup. Hopefully, you'll find them engrossing.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It's always good to attract new followers. Have a look on YouTube- all the races are on there. I'd recommend that you start with the 2014 Champion Hurdle and the 2013 Cheltenham Gold Cup. Hopefully, you'll find them engrossing.
Just watched the 2013 Gold Cup and what stamina by the horses! I picked the 3rd, 4th, and 5th place finishers. I'm pretty good at almost winning. :notworthy:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
WOOHOO! I picked the winner Jetski in the 2014 Stan James Champion Hurdle. I could get into this. Vicious crashes in this sport.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
WOOHOO! I picked the winner Jetski in the 2014 Stan James Champion Hurdle. I could get into this. Vicious crashes in this sport.
Glad that you're enjoying it! Obviously, thrills and spills are a part of the sport but nobody likes seeing horses and jockeys injured.

It's the Grand National on Saturday- the longest and most challenging race of the year- and that's always worth watching.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Glad that you're enjoying it! Obviously, thrills and spills are a part of the sport but nobody likes seeing horses and jockeys injured.

It's the Grand National on Saturday- the longest and most challenging race of the year- and that's always worth watching.
Where is that ran? Do you have a list of the horses? And do any of the jockeys have a dominating winning percentage?

The one thing I do find curious is the way they start these races. I'm so used to starting gates I guess that this bunch up, circle around and take off seems odd. How do they determine when to start and how is the jockeying (excuse the pun) for position determined?

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a fantastic spectacle and well worth watching. Can be carnage some times but they have done a lot in the last few years to try and make the race safer. I'd love to see in the sports book, but remember the final declarations will be out on Thursday.

Sure. Just don't expect me to back the winner- the last National winner I got was Rhyme 'N' Reason, back in 1988!

This is a fantastic spectacle and well worth watching. Can be carnage some times but they have done a lot in the last few years to try and make the race safer. I'd love to see in the sports book, but remember the final declarations will be out on Thursday.

Cool I'll post it up on Friday afternoon.