Check this tweet by Irsay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
@JimIrsay Jim Irsay
ColtsFans..no expense is 2 formidable,no hard decision 2 intimidating,no problem is 2complex; roads2 the top r steep n jagged. Climb,we will.

"climb we will" (yoda voice)

But, aside from that, how do you read that? Or... what do you read that to mean?

Nothing, probably. But I like to read into things.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Andrew Luck?

I don't think they trade Manning though, if anything Luck sits for a year.. Which might be good, I'm still not convinced on Luck, especially not as the next great thing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I kinda zeroed in on the "No hard decision too intimidating" thing. Drafting luck isn't a hard decision. Makes sense to groom a QB behind Peyton Manning. Neck injuries are nothing to sneeze at. Which leads me to believe that they think a neck injury is too much of a gamble. Especially at THAT salary.

Or..... it means nothing but a bad Yoda impression.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Big changes are a comin' !

By the way, very impressive use of tweet-slang to fit that message into a 140 character limit.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
This is why Manning and Luck on the same team does not work:

Let's say the Colts want to bring back Manning for a year or two, with Luck as a backup, and go into Win One For Peyton mode.

Does anybody really think this team can return to Super Bowl contention within the next year or two? Seriously?

To have any outside chance at rebuilding in a hurry, the Colts would have to re-sign several of their veteran free agents, notably Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday and Robert Mathis. That's a lot of money, a massive cap hit the Colts would have to swallow for years to come, a financial burden that would limit their ability to build around Luck when his time comes.

Let's say the Colts keep Manning for one year and then trade him. They would take a $28.8 million cap hit the year he leaves. Add Luck's contract and his backup, you're spending nearly $35 million on quarterbacks. They will not be competitive.

Let's say the Colts keep Manning for two years and then trade him. (I'm tossing out this option for conversation's sake; there's no way Luck is coming here, or should come here, if he's sitting for two years). In that case, the Colts will take an immediate $19.2 million cap hit on the remainder of Manning's contract. Add Luck's contract and a backup, you're looking at about $27 million in quarterbacks.

As team owner Jim Irsay said during the Manning negotiations shortly after the lockout, you can't field a competitive team when the quarterback is counting $20 million against the cap.

And let's not even entertain this goofy idea of paying Manning his option bonus in March and then trading him; that would be a $38.8 million cap hit. They'll be using me at the mike linebacker.

It's Manning or Luck, Luck or Manning.

Do you spend mega-millions to take a chance on a 36-year-old quarterback who has endured three neck surgeries in 19 months, or a highly touted rookie who will cost next-to-nothing and whose minimal cap hit will allow the team to spend lots of cash surrounding him with talent?

Either you're building for now, or you're building for the future. Given these circumstances, it's impossible to do both. For the umpteenth time, this is not another Aaron Rodgers situation; he was the 24th pick in the draft. Luck will be the first pick in the draft, and he will have the leverage that comes with being the first pick in the draft.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.indystar.com/article/20111202/SPORTS15/312020006/Kravitz-Manning-Luck-tandem-cannot-work-Colts?odyssey=mod|mostview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.indystar.com/article/2011120 ... d|mostview</a>

Its looking like they either keep Manning or he becomes a FA. If they keep him, it wouldnt shock me at all if Luck decides to do what Eli Manning did in the 04 draft.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No expense 2 formidable??

Means Manning is gone. Their gonna take the cap hit, draft Luck and go from there.

But I have to wonder there has to be something in Manning's contract that can help w/ the cap hit. There's just no way Irsay didn't know about Manning's neck and give a damn near $100 mil contract.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
No expense 2 formidable??

Means Manning is gone. Their gonna take the cap hit, draft Luck and go from there.

But I have to wonder there has to be something in Manning's contract that can help w/ the cap hit. There's just no way Irsay didn't know about Manning's neck and give a damn near $100 mil contract.

I think thats why they have the option bonus in March. Can we compare this to Atogwes contract situation last year?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
IDK the details, but there's bound to something there, a loophole, that can make the Colts win botrh ways, either Manning plays or goes w// a reduced cap hit.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Means Peyton is a Jet, Polin is gone and I'm going to spend some cash money on some players that actually weigh more than the cheerleaders and 2years and were relevant again.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
JdashSTL said:
This is why Manning and Luck on the same team does not work:

Let's say the Colts want to bring back Manning for a year or two, with Luck as a backup, and go into Win One For Peyton mode.

Does anybody really think this team can return to Super Bowl contention within the next year or two? Seriously?

To have any outside chance at rebuilding in a hurry, the Colts would have to re-sign several of their veteran free agents, notably Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday and Robert Mathis. That's a lot of money, a massive cap hit the Colts would have to swallow for years to come, a financial burden that would limit their ability to build around Luck when his time comes.

Let's say the Colts keep Manning for one year and then trade him. They would take a $28.8 million cap hit the year he leaves. Add Luck's contract and his backup, you're spending nearly $35 million on quarterbacks. They will not be competitive.

Let's say the Colts keep Manning for two years and then trade him. (I'm tossing out this option for conversation's sake; there's no way Luck is coming here, or should come here, if he's sitting for two years). In that case, the Colts will take an immediate $19.2 million cap hit on the remainder of Manning's contract. Add Luck's contract and a backup, you're looking at about $27 million in quarterbacks.

As team owner Jim Irsay said during the Manning negotiations shortly after the lockout, you can't field a competitive team when the quarterback is counting $20 million against the cap.

And let's not even entertain this goofy idea of paying Manning his option bonus in March and then trading him; that would be a $38.8 million cap hit. They'll be using me at the mike linebacker.

It's Manning or Luck, Luck or Manning.

Do you spend mega-millions to take a chance on a 36-year-old quarterback who has endured three neck surgeries in 19 months, or a highly touted rookie who will cost next-to-nothing and whose minimal cap hit will allow the team to spend lots of cash surrounding him with talent?

Either you're building for now, or you're building for the future. Given these circumstances, it's impossible to do both. For the umpteenth time, this is not another Aaron Rodgers situation; he was the 24th pick in the draft. Luck will be the first pick in the draft, and he will have the leverage that comes with being the first pick in the draft.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.indystar.com/article/20111202/SPORTS15/312020006/Kravitz-Manning-Luck-tandem-cannot-work-Colts?odyssey=mod|mostview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.indystar.com/article/2011120 ... d|mostview</a>

Its looking like they either keep Manning or he becomes a FA. If they keep him, it wouldnt shock me at all if Luck decides to do what Eli Manning did in the 04 draft.

I wish I had saved this blurb on PFT at start of the year when they went into Peyton's contract. Something about he has to pass a phys. at end of the season and that there was a way they could release him with no cap hit. They can't trade him without the hit.