Check out Farmer Brown ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
den-the-coach said:
A55VA6 said:
I just don't like Spags. I thought he was a terrible coach and everything else.

Spags was far better than milktoast Linehan IMO, but two Jason's were Spagnuolo's & Devaney's undoing. Jason Brown the Rams paid big money for and he ate his way out of the league and Jason Smith was so bad they had to draft Saffold the following year to cover up their mistake.

See I don't think Linehan was as milquetoast as people think he was, I've written about it before.
Martz was tagged as an asshole who was screwing up a championship roster,Linehan was hired as the anti Martz to just "make nice" and let the stars shine.
Problem was a lot of the championship roster was burnt out stars too popular to cut ( Ike) and by the time he tried to assert himself the inmates had taken over the institution and rebelled.
If I had to start from square one with one or the other ,I'd take Linehan ,he's rebounded and built a hell of an offense ( which he was hired for here under that presumed expertise) whereas Spags went in to Nawlins and promptly took that defense ( his supposed area of expertise )straight to the bottom.
Fisher takes no shit from players,neither did Martz, zero chance he'd have been hired to replace the Mad One, in the end both Linny and Spags were brought into bad situations and never really given the single expectation to produce and nothing else so it's sort of unfair to dog either one for things other than particular moves and convictions,i.e. Four Pillars which is admirable but pretty unrealistic in the NFL today that is becoming a textbook validation of the nice guys finish last cliche.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thordaddy said:
Problem was a lot of the championship roster was burnt out stars too popular to cut ( Ike) and by the time he tried to assert himself the inmates had taken over the institution and rebelled.
I've seen you write that before, and I still don't know how you get to that conclusion.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Thordaddy said:
den-the-coach said:
A55VA6 said:

Spags was far better than milktoast Linehan IMO, but two Jason's were Spagnuolo's & Devaney's undoing. Jason Brown the Rams paid big money for and he ate his way out of the league and Jason Smith was so bad they had to draft Saffold the following year to cover up their mistake.

Fisher takes no shyte from players,neither did Martz, zero chance he'd have been hired to replace the Mad One.
Fisher like martz takes no shit from the players BUT big difference fisher is a players coach where martz was not

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Rabid Ram said:
Thordaddy said:
den-the-coach said:
A55VA6 said:

Fisher takes no shyte from players,neither did Martz, zero chance he'd have been hired to replace the Mad One.
Fisher like martz takes no shit from the players BUT big difference fisher is a players coach where martz was not
what, exactly, is a players coach?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thordaddy said:
See I don't think Linehan was as milquetoast as people think he was, I've written about it before.
institution and rebelled.
If I had to start from square one with one or the other ,I'd take Linehan ,he's rebounded and built a hell of an offense ( which he was hired for here under that presumed expertise) whereas Spags went in to Nawlins and promptly took that defense ( his supposed area of expertise )straight to the bottom.

Well, we shall agree to disagree because Scott Linehan could not motivate a Marine at a Brothel! Now I cannot debate the fact the Lion offense is an upper echelon offense, but IMO Linehan was not Head Coach material and quite frankly did not have the resume IMO to be a Head Coach. Plus he could not address a group. He stammered, repeated himself often and consistently utilized the word "okay" everytime he completed a statement which underscores his lack of oratory skills.

And it was Scott Linehan who fired OL Coach Paul Boudreau to hire his good friend Steve Loney and it was Linehan who cut FB Madison Hedgecock to sign the likes of the unforgettable Richard Owens and the Linehan/Loney connection also brought the Rams Adam Goldberg.

No sir, Scott Linehan was the worst Head Coach in Ram history and will never be given another opportunity again unless it's at the collegiate level at a lower tier division one program like his alma mater Idaho, but I don't even think he will get a gig like that. Just a horrendous Head Coach that players did not respect whatsoever!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
den-the-coach said:
...could not motivate a Marine at a Brothel!

OK - I have to use that some time if you don't mind. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As to the whole Brown thing. I don't care to bash anyone about it. I'm simply happy for the guy. He's doing what he wants now. I SO agree with him about kids needing to know how to plant a tree, grow a garden and the likes. Get their hands dirty with actual soil. Right on Jason.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
RamFan503 said:

As to the whole Brown thing. I don't care to bash anyone about it. I'm simply happy for the guy. He's doing what he wants now. I SO agree with him about kids needing to know how to plant a tree, grow a garden and the likes. Get their hands dirty with actual soil. Right on Jason.

You're welcome to it and I guess I'm fine with Brown being a tree hugger because God knows he could not block the tree.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
den-the-coach said:
RamFan503 said:

You're welcome to it and I guess I'm fine with Brown being a tree hugger because God knows he could not block the tree.

Yeah - I think that actually makes him anything but a tree hugger. He wants kids to get to know the REAL earth - not just protest anytime someone dares to use it or teach kids about what to do with it. But I know you were just yolking.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
den-the-coach said:
jrry32 said:
Glad he moved on to a better life. Say what you want but that was one move that I didn't disagree with. IMO, Brown's heart wasn't in it at all during the 2011 season.

I concur here and Spagnuolo did the right thing with the exception of not having a viable replacement. Brown got too fat or calorically challenged if you will. He could hardly bend over to snap the ball and was totally ineffective at the point of attack.

Glad he's doing well, but pissed off he totally screwed the Rams because he just was not the player nor the leader they were looking for and because of the contract he signed with the Rams, it enabled him to retire early.
Pretty sure he was tipping plays (inadvertently of course) too. I'll have to go back and research it, but I'm 99.9% positive (so you're not sure?) that this was a big reason for his benching.

He was.

A55VA6

Legend
Yeah Jasons play was definitely not good. But I'm glad he's moved on. He looks happy and that is all that matters for him.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I'm 32 so out of all the Rams HC's Linehan was by far my least favorable one out of all I've seen even Mr. Brooks lol.

I would say almost if not all Rams active players from his brief tenure would agree as well esp SJax and Bulger as two examples. I saw more than enough from sideline camera shots to just know.

Doesn't meant I'm right or wrong.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
I've seen you write that before, and I still don't know how you get to that conclusion.

Faulk was no longer the star and centerpiece, Ike was on the decline so were Holt and Pace, in the end they were offensively about the same point our defense was the year we won the Super Bowl when Linehan took over ,one good year left.

BTW there are a whole lot of players wh consider Martz a players coach and swear by him ,including Marshal Faulk.

But I reiterate Linehan has proven himself to be who he was supposed to be when he came here, an offensive "expert", Spags has not yet shown he makes a positive difference

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thordaddy said:
But I reiterate Linehan has proven himself to be who he was supposed to be when he came here, an offensive "expert", Spags has not yet shown he makes a positive difference

Now easy does it on posting that Linehan is Don Coryell...He was blessed with the best WR in the NFL and one heck of a QB. The Lions still struggle to protect the QB and they do not run the football well, but again they do have a very productive offense.

I will close with posting he's a coordinator and nothing more because he's not a leader of men. As a Head Coach you have to be a leader of men as well as a leader of your coaching staff.

Milquetoast Linehan had none of those qualities and should have never been given the opportunity in the first place because cleary he was not head coaching material.

mqdefault.jpg

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
den-the-coach said:
Thordaddy said:
institution and rebelled.

Well, we shall agree to disagree because Scott Linehan could not motivate a Marine at a Brothel! Now I cannot debate the fact the Lion offense is an upper echelon offense, but IMO Linehan was not Head Coach material and quite frankly did not have the resume IMO to be a Head Coach. Plus he could not address a group. He stammered, repeated himself often and consistently utilized the word "okay" everytime he completed a statement which underscores his lack of oratory skills.

And it was Scott Linehan who fired OL Coach Paul Boudreau to hire his good friend Steve Loney and it was Linehan who cut FB Madison Hedgecock to sign the likes of the unforgettable Richard Owens and the Linehan/Loney connection also brought the Rams Adam Goldberg.

No sir, Scott Linehan was the worst Head Coach in Ram history and will never be given another opportunity again unless it's at the collegiate level at a lower tier division one program like his alma mater Idaho, but I don't even think he will get a gig like that. Just a horrendous Head Coach that players did not respect whatsoever!
I don't disagree he wasn't the best , he just didn't suck as bad as Spags IMO.
Spags was GIVEN at least the imperative to rebuild, Linehan was expected to continue what no longer was what it had been.

As far as his oratory skills go ,I've seen some pretty dumb speeches from HC's , Marty Shottenheimer could spin some seriously stupid sounding stuff. I think oratory is an oversold skill,even though I possess some pretty impressive acumen there :mrgreen:
BTW there was a lot of Linny love the first year so "whatsoever" might also be an over-reach.

nighttrain

Legend
den-the-coach said:
A55VA6 said:

Being better than Linehan not the highest of praise. But agree the two Jason's didn't help Spags, but he also helped himself out of town with some real questionable off season signings.
train

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thordaddy said:
As far as his oratory skills go ,I've seen some pretty dumb speeches from HC's , Marty Shottenheimer could spin some seriously stupid sounding stuff. I think oratory is an oversold skill,even though I possess some pretty impressive acumen there :mrgreen:
BTW there was a lot of Linny love the first year so "whatsoever" might also be an over-reach.

BTW I'm not ready to close the door on Spags just yet. Felt he was dealt a bad hand in New Orleans considering their whole coaching staff was in a state of dissoray and like Paul Boudreau in 2008 was a scapegoat for Asshole Face.

Spagnuolo is now a defensive consultant with the Ravens and I expect back as a defensive coordinator very soon. I respect you sir and going forward let's just hope the reason we had to go through the likes of Linehan & Spagnuolo was to be able to hire the likes of Jeffrey Michael Fisher!

iced

Spags is the HC I liked the least - not just from what was on the field on game day, but also how his micromanaging and control freakness affected the experience for me (and i imagine others) on game day. The culture was all off when I was there. Not to mention Spags appeared to be the biggest hypocrite, appealing nice and fan friendly then was anything but that behind closed doors.. How was he a players coach when he appears to be the biggest douche ever?

A55VA6

Legend
iced said:
Spags is the HC I liked the least - not just from what was on the field on game day, but also how his micromanaging and control freakness affected the experience for me (and i imagine others) on game day. The culture was all off when I was there. Not to mention Spags appeared to be the biggest hypocrite, appealing nice and fan friendly then was anything but that behind closed doors.. How was he a players coach when he appears to be the biggest douche ever?
My thoughts exactly

wv

Rookie
den-the-coach said:
Thordaddy said:

BTW I'm not ready to close the door on Spags just yet. Felt he was dealt a bad hand in New Orleans considering their whole coaching staff was in a state of dissoray and like Paul Boudreau in 2008 was a scapegoat for Asshole Face.

Spagnuolo is now a defensive consultant with the Ravens and I expect back as a defensive coordinator very soon. I respect you sir and going forward let's just hope the reason we had to go through the likes of Linehan & Spagnuolo was to be able to hire the likes of Jeffrey Michael Fisher!

Very reasonable assessment. What did you think of Martz as a Head-coach for the Rams?

w
v

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
den-the-coach said:
Thordaddy said:

Same here coach, I've seen your posts at RRF for years and know your positions are well founded.

Agreed on the "going through" ,I think neither of them would have been here if Kroenke had been the majority owner