Chasing The Dream: Reynolds Finds Role On Rams' Special Teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jesse Geleynse
Tribune Sports Writer

bilde

Former Montana star running back Chase Reynolds now plays for the St. Louis Rams in the NFL. / AP Photo/Bill Boyce

SEATTLE
— Chase Reynolds sifts through the pile of game-worn jerseys on the floor of the St. Louis Rams locker room at CenturyLink Field.

He finds No. 34 and takes it back toward his locker. A clubhouse attendant asks if Reynolds wants it washed.

“No, I’m taking it,” Reynolds replies.

He’s earned it. The former star running back at Drummond and the University of Montana earned a roster spot for the Rams this season after two grueling years on the practice squad. Reynolds appeared in all 16 games for St. Louis on special teams.

His face lights up when he hears you’re from Montana. Reynolds is happy to talk after three seasons of relative anonymity.

“Not to say practice squad isn’t a great opportunity, but being two years there and finally making it – that day you make it so much is lifted off,” Reynolds says. “You literally work your whole life for that moment. It was phenomenal. To stay on the team and be fairly productive is awesome.”

Reynolds is one of the most decorated 8-man players in state history and a true Montana success story. He led the Trojans to three straight state titles and is the all-time leading rusher in 8-man history with 5,261 yards.

He went on to enjoy a storied career at Montana and led the Griz to back-to-back national runner-up finishes.

Reynolds has fond memories of his time in Missoula.

“Just the atmosphere and the guys I played with – I still talk to a lot of them and just the camaraderie we had,” Reynolds says. “There was a year where we were supposed to be rebuilding there and you look back at that stuff and the (Appalachian) State game, and those are great memories to be able to look back on.”

It goes without saying that the NFL is a completely different talent level than 8-man or even Big Sky football.

Reynolds hadn’t played special teams since his redshirt freshman season in 2007. He said it has been an adjustment to not be “the guy” all the time.

“That’s part of the NFL,” Reynolds says. “Everybody here was that guy back in high school (and) college. You know your role and you find it and you just try to be the best you can be.”

It took two different organizations and two years for Reynolds to find his role. He signed with the Seahawks as a free agent after the 2011 draft and was cut at the end of training camp.

Reynolds then signed with St. Louis and spent the 2011 and 2012 seasons on the practice squad. He recorded six tackles and returned one punt this season.

“It feels like it was forever ago when you’re working and working, and state championships, and then college and now I’m here,” Reynolds says. “It’s been fantastic to look back and see where I’ve come from.”

The 6-0, 200-pound running back isn’t the only former Griz player on the St. Louis roster. Trumaine Johnson starts at cornerback, while linebacker Caleb McSurdy was recently signed to the practice squad. Former Montana State offensive lineman Mike Person was also on the roster this season.

Former Griz linebacker Brandon Fisher is an assistant coach on the staff led by his father, Jeff, who took over as head coach in 2012.

“We’ve got a little group going on over there. We might have the (more) Montana guys than any other school,” Reynolds says. “It’s awesome – guys you played with and now you’re together in the NFL.”

Reynolds lives and trains in St. Louis with his wife, Kila, and their children Talen and Peyton.

From Drummond to Montana to finally lining up opposite the team he first signed with last Sunday – Reynolds’ brief career has already taken plenty of turns.

“This is the first place I came and I was so excited when I came here and all of that. I come back and I still know some of the guys who were here and say hi to them and get caught up,” Reynolds says. “Obviously everything happens for a reason and I’m on a great team here.”