Charles Robinson dishes on Rams TC , pegs backup running backs to get 35% of carries

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...-season-preview-todd-gurley-darrell-henderson

Yahoo! Sports’ Charles Robinson dishes on Los Angeles Rams training camp, pegs backup running backs to get 35% of carries

Some interesting nuggets out of camp.

By 3k@3k_ Jul 29, 2019, 2:37pm CDT

1164813480.jpg.0.jpg

Los Angeles Rams RB Darrell Henderson runs downfield during the second day of training Camp, Jul. 28, 2019.
Photo by Josh Lefkowitz/Getty Images
Yahoo! Sports’ Charles Robinson was in attendance at the Los Angeles Rams’ training camp yesterday and dropped a phenomenal thread on Twitter today, but I know not everyone’s on Twitter so I figured I’d put it here.

I’ve compiled the thread as a single quote, but if you’re on Twitter (and believe me, I am not suggesting you should be) give him a follow @CharlesRobinson.

1. #Rams QB Jared Goff continues to get stronger physically. Sean McVay says he’s more twitchy in his upper body and flicking passes that used to require a tiny windup. Mentally? Sounds like Goff is *there*. As in, he knows the offense to the point of adding his own stamps to it.

2. #Rams feel good about Todd Gurley + RB depth. I’d wager Malcolm Brown & Darrell Henderson combine for 35% (or more) of RB snaps. Henderson is very interesting. Plan is for him to be a Chris Thompson type. Thompson’s 2016 #Redskins film under McVay was a flexible mismatch role.

3. Even more than past seasons, #Rams should be able to throw the living hell out of it. If the offensive line can mesh, don’t undersell the continuity at the WR/TE positions. I think RB depth will factor in passing game, too. Health permitting, I buy Goff having a monster year.

4. #Rams defense will benefit from adding vocal leaders in S Eric Weddle and LB Clay Matthews. But also by subtracting DT Ndamukong Suh. I doubt Rams will say it publicly, but Suh was very difficult for former DL coach Bill Johnson to handle. Frankly, Suh was a poor culture fit.

5. Speaking of the defensive line, #Rams are extremely high on adding Eric Henderson as the new DL coach. But the DL shakeup makes me curious to see where things go long-term with Wade Phillips at D coordinator. Seeing confidant Bill Johnson go had to be tough business for Wade.

6. #Rams like what they’ve seen from 5th round pick David Edwards from Wisconsin. They feel like he could very capably give them good backup depth along the offensive line if he continues the path he’s on. He might be a future starter with a year or two of position-specific work.

7. Another late-rounder making noise for the #Rams? NT Sebastian Joseph-Day. He went from developmental 6th round pick out of Rutgers in 2018 to the guy who could fill the Ndamukong Suh void this season. Like David Edwards, another late pick panning out in the depth department.

A ton there of interest (the Suh “fit” stands out as something I’d love more explanation on...), but that 35% figure stands out.

Under McVay, running backs have averaged 362.5 carries per season (354 in 2017, 371 last year). So 35% of that would be just under 127 carries for Henderson and Brown leaving 235 for JTG.

In any case, good stuff from Robinson.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...tm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news

Jared Goff hit weight room this offseason, improved overall strength

By: Andrew Ortenberg

usatsi_12829625.jpg

Training camp is officially underway for the Los Angeles Rams, and we’ve already got plenty of storylines coming out of the action at UC Irvine. Perhaps one unexpected but of news is that quarterback Jared Goff has apparently been bulking up during the offseason.

Goff has gotten stronger since the end of last season, according to Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports. Robinson writes that head coach Sean McVay has taken notice, saying that Goff can now effortlessly flick passes that used to require more of a windup.

1. #Rams QB Jared Goff continues to get stronger physically. Sean McVay says he’s more twitchy in his upper body and flicking passes that used to require a tiny windup. Mentally? Sounds like Goff is *there*. As in, he knows the offense to the point of adding his own stamps to it.

— Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) July 29, 2019

Goff has always been pretty skinny, so this is definitely a positive development. The Rams need Goff to stay healthy and not miss any time, and packing on a few extra pounds should definitely help him stay upright over a 16-game season.

Appearing on Rams Camp Live from the second day of camp, Goff and Todd Gurley talked about his gains.

After Gurley joked that Goff would be in the next The Body Issue of ESPN The Magazine, the host asked the fourth-year passer about reports he’d gotten a little bigger. After initially joking that it probably means he’s gotten a little fatter, Goff did say he’d added “maybe a little bit of muscle.”

“I’ll take a little bit of credit, he said.

Gurley cut him off and wouldn’t let him be too humble, saying “nah, he definitely was getting after it in the weight room.” Goff is already a pretty solid athlete, and the added weight should help him hang tough in the pocket a little more.

Both players said that Aaron Donald’s non-stop work ethic has served as motivation for them.

“I see him working out every single day on Instagram. I’m like, man, I gotta get my butt in the weight room,” Goff said.

“I’ll be at the house like, ‘I’m not working out today,’ and then I just see Aaroon and his trainer fussing at him for like five hours, and then I’m like, ‘let me get up and work out,'” Gurley said.

Nobody will be seriously challenging Donald for the title of most fit player on the team, but it sounds like Goff is taking his stature a lot more serious heading into 2019.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...tm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news
Eric Henderson hire already paying off for Aaron Donald, Rams D-linemen

By: Cameron DaSilva
usatsi_12049348.jpg

Sean McVay has had a hard time retaining assistant coaches since joining the Los Angeles Rams, losing the likes of Matt LaFleur, Greg Olson and Zac Taylor to other teams the last two years. That’s led to countless changes on his coaching staff, including one on the defensive side of the ball this offseason.

McVay and the Rams opted not to retain defensive line coach Bill Johnson, replacing him with Eric Henderson. Henderson didn’t have far to go between his former team and his current one, switching from one L.A. team (Chargers) to another (Rams).

The 36-year-old coach is active during practice and vocal when coaching up his players, bringing a spark of energy to the defensive line. Los Angeles is already seeing the benefits of hiring Henderson, specifically with regards to Aaron Donald.

If not for Henderson, Donald may not have attended OTAs or minicamp.

“One-hundred percent,” Donald said of whether Henderson was the reason he wanted to be at OTAs. “He’s definitely a guy – once I saw the drills, after I got to talk to him and get to pick his brain a little bit – he’s a big reason why I wanted to continue to learn and I felt like what he was teaching me could benefit me and help me a whole lot as far as improving my game. It’s like I always say, I want to get better, and that’s what I’ve got to do. Listen to coach and work it.”

Donald said he’s already benefitted “a lot” from Henderson being on the coaching staff. The two-time Defensive Player of the Year has all the talent in the world and doesn’t leave much room for improvement, but Henderson is picking out areas in which Donald can get better.

Donald appreciates that aspect of his coaching style because as he often says, there are ways to improve no matter how good you are.

“Just the type of drills, the techniques he’s teaching us now. He knows football. He’s a young coach that’s hungry, that loves football, that loves teaching football,” Donald added. “He’s breaking down film, he broke down film and he’s coaching me so that’s what I like the most. He’s telling me my weaknesses and things I need to clean up and trying to teach me things that I can do better and work better that can help my game. When you’ve got a coach like that, you just sit and listen and you try to keep what you’ve been doing but also add what he’s trying to teach me and make me that much better.

“The new D-line coach is great so I’m embracing that and just learning and trying to put that into my practice and into my games.”

The Rams have plenty of young defensive linemen and pass rushers who need grooming – more so than Donald does. Sebastian Joseph-Day and Greg Gaines will be battling for the starting nose tackle spot, while John Franklin-Myers and Morgan Fox could compete to back up Michael Brockers at defensive end.

Having a great coach to groom those young players can make all the difference, which is why the Rams are so high on Henderson.

5. Speaking of the defensive line, #Rams are extremely high on adding Eric Henderson as the new DL coach. But the DL shakeup makes me curious to see where things go long-term with Wade Phillips at D coordinator. Seeing confidant Bill Johnson go had to be tough business for Wade.

— Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) July 29, 2019

McVay has been quick to compliment Henderson this year, too, raving about the job he’s done so far.

“He’s done an excellent job implementing some different things where we’ve added a couple things that we can do specific to the situation with some personnel groupings – moving guys around,” McVay said.

It’s hard to imagine Donald getting much better than he already is, but if Henderson can elevate the skill level of Joseph-Day, Gaines, Brockers and Franklin-Myers, the defensive line will take a big step forward.

As for Henderson himself, this hire could be the first step toward him becoming a defensive coordinator once Wade Phillips calls it a career.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm always hesitant to make observations about players, I fear coming off as a "know it all". But when paid journalists make observation that I already posted, makes me feel better. Goff IS bigger (day one report), Joseph-Day impressing (day one + two report). Though no mention of another guy who has impressed, Nsima Webster.

We'll see. Pads go one today and should be some harder hitting. (they've been hitting hard without the pads).

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...-season-preview-todd-gurley-darrell-henderson

Yahoo! Sports’ Charles Robinson dishes on Los Angeles Rams training camp, pegs backup running backs to get 35% of carries

Some interesting nuggets out of camp.

By 3k@3k_ Jul 29, 2019, 2:37pm CDT

1164813480.jpg.0.jpg

Los Angeles Rams RB Darrell Henderson runs downfield during the second day of training Camp, Jul. 28, 2019.

Yahoo! Sports’ Charles Robinson was in attendance at the Los Angeles Rams’ training camp yesterday and dropped a phenomenal thread on Twitter today, but I know not everyone’s on Twitter so I figured I’d put it here.

I’ve compiled the thread as a single quote, but if you’re on Twitter (and believe me, I am not suggesting you should be) give him a follow @CharlesRobinson.

2. #Rams feel good about Todd Gurley + RB depth. I’d wager Malcolm Brown & Darrell Henderson combine for 35% (or more) of RB snaps. Henderson is very interesting. Plan is for him to be a Chris Thompson type. Thompson’s 2016 #Redskins film under McVay was a flexible mismatch role.

Thanks for posting, ... good read.

#1 was only a matter of time as the 22 year old Goff began his career as a lanky kid, albeit a smart & tough young kid whose body was yet to develop completely. Now at 24, we've seen his physical development in stages as this new season coming into camp shows how a little age and strength training has matured him into more of the man he was destined to become.

#2 makes complete sense when a team has the kind of quality available to them at RB as does the Rams. Gurley carried the ball for 75% of the total snaps last year, an exhaustive 825 snaps can take its toll at this position. Malcolm Brown only had 11.2% of the offensive snaps while Anderson managed 9% of the total snaps with only his 2 regular season games. Both Gurley & Brown carried an average of 4.9 yards per carry while Anderson had a phenomenal 7 yards per attempt. With a better rested Gurley potentially receiving 10% less snaps, both Brown along with the exciting and newly acquired Darrell Henderson bring a new dimension to our rushing & passing game threat. If Brian Allen strengthens our Center position in the run game, the Rams will be rolling. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think 35% for all RBs other than Gurley is a bit low. Henderson alone is going to get a lot of snaps, he should end up with more than even the staff plans to give him because like TG he's the kind of talent that can change a game and by midseason should be able to run most of the offense. Brown will get a good chunk too, my hope is they use him more to eat clock when they have a lead, but either way I figure those two guys together could easily end up with more than half the snaps in order to ensure Gurley is fresh for the playoffs.

IMO somewhere around 50/50 would be a good balance as a start, then adjust as needed if TG exhibits soreness. And as good as McVay is, he will probably need to have one of his staff members keep a snap count going to avoid overuse.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm always hesitant to make observations about players, I fear coming off as a "know it all". But when paid journalists make observation that I already posted, makes me feel better. Goff IS bigger (day one report), Joseph-Day impressing (day one + two report). Though no mention of another guy who has impressed, Nsima Webster.

We'll see. Pads go one today and should be some harder hitting. (they've been hitting hard without the pads).

We're all fans here Bubba and uninformed opinions is what we do. So I don't think you need to worry about coming off as a know it all. IMO just put up what you see and think and you'll probably end up being right on some and wrong on others it's all good.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
6. #Rams like what they’ve seen from 5th round pick David Edwards from Wisconsin. They feel like he could very capably give them good backup depth along the offensive line if he continues the path he’s on. He might be a future starter with a year or two of position-specific work.
Prediction: David Edwards will be the Rams 2020 starting left tackle.

Ram65

Legend
McVay can save 10 percent of Glrley's snaps by taking him out of the game when Rams have it wrapped up.

Gurley gets 18 touches a game average for a total of 288 for the season. He plays less snaps too. He gets during the week.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

That would be an amazing fete by both Edwards and the entire Rams scouting dept/Les Snead/McVay/Kromer. Save this for next season, with a little luck and a lot of work, it could just happen.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff had an enzyme deficiency when he was drafted that is treated by probiotics. That was why he was rail thin when drafted - it hadn't been diagnosed yet. Since he started getting proper treatment, he has slowly but steadily been adding a bit of weight - almost entirely muscle

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I sure hope you're right. At this point I'm thinking he'll be in the mix as first OL off the bench.

I was thinking he might be in the mix at RG for a while there, but with Demby struttin his year two stuff maybe that's a bit too high of an expectation. Either way I do think he's gonna be a player down the road for us.