Chargers expected to exercise option to move to L.A.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What is all this talk about needing time to gain traction in the city of Los Angeles? I thought LA was hungry for football? I thought the Rams were returning to their rightful home? If San Diego steals away the city from the Rams, especially when the Rams were given a one year head start, then the Rams have no one to blame but themselves.

Won't it be a 3 year head start ? The Chargers aren't moving into the Coliseum for 2017/2018, and as far as I understand they haven't secured any other L.A. based Stadium to play in before the new Inglewood Stadium opens for business in 2019. This gives the Rams an additional 2 years to put things in order. I believe both teams can do well under one roof if they are winning and neither will do well if they become consistent losers, fans will always give more appreciation to winning teams, so the competition may be good for both of them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Chargers "no choice" but to move to LA

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chargers-owner-has-no-choice-but-to-move-team-to-los-angeles/

Several NFL owners who were in contact with Chargers ownership at the just-completed NFL meetings said that Dean Spanos is resigned to the fact he must move his team to Los Angeles during next month's window to do so and has every intention of doing just that.

As we've reported since before the season, there are no viable options seen to staying in San Diego, and with each week events continue to cement what is becoming an increasingly inevitable move in January.

"He doesn't have a choice from an economic standpoint, and he knows it," said one ownership source with another club with strong ties to Spanos. "He's as good as gone. He basically told us that he has no choice."

"It's over," another ownership source said. "They're going to Los Angeles. It's just a matter of announcing it. There aren't any miracles here."

Spanos continues to work with the NFL about the manner in which he will fund the pending $550 million relocation fee; Spanos would have 10 years to pay it out starting with the opening of the new stadium in Inglewood in 2019, and the Chargers may end up taking out a loan to be able to put up a considerable chunk of the half-billion dollars up front rather than simply pay out the higher yearly requirement (plus interest).

The Chargers are far along that process, the other owners said, and the league is amenable to several different payment structures.

Spanos spoke recently with the mayor of San Diego and city council members, according to sources with knowledge of the situation, seeking any final solution to his stadium quandary there, but to no avail. League sources said Spanos will not announce any move until after the season, even with the Chargers falling out of contention and facing the prospect of having to go to a silent count -- at home -- against the Raiders on Sunday with a preponderance of Oakland fans expected in attendance.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is another topic where everyone who writes about it is talking out of their azz. No one "knows" or has any "inside" information on what the Chargers will end up deciding.:deadhorse:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
This makes no sense. Spanos will pay 550 million to move.

The nfl just wants cities to pay their freaking bills.

Why doesnt Spanos take that 550 million and the 350 million the nfl will loan him towards a stadium then borrow a few hundred million or take on a partner.

I call bullshit on the nfl

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/19/spanos-admits-hes-leaning-toward-l-a-move/

Spanos admits he’s leaning toward L.A. move
Posted by Mike Florio on December 19, 2016

107849470-e1482163038222.jpg
Getty Images

The next time the fans of the visiting team outnumber the fans of the home team in a game between the Raiders and Chargers, the home team may be in playing in the city the visiting team once called home.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos admitted on Sunday that he’s leaning toward exercising his right to move to Los Angeles.

Spanos initially made the comments to Scott Kaplan of CBS, and Spanos then elaborated after the game.

“I said I was not going to make up my mind until after the season,” Spanos said, via Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “[Kaplan] asked the question, ‘Are you closer to leaving than staying?’ I said, ‘That would probably be an accurate statement.’ I also said I’m not going to make up my mind until after the season. . . . Everything is in place. I’m waiting on the city of San Diego.”

As Spanos waits, time is running out. The deadline for doing a deal with the Rams to share space in Inglewood arrives on January 15.

Spanos is widely expected to move, due in large part to the absence of any viable plan to keep the team in town. A recent non-offer to give the Chargers a 99-year, $1 annual lease, supported by two City Council members who opposed the ballot measure that failed miserably last month, rubbed Spanos the wrong way.

So did the outcome of the vote, which managed a positive outcome of only 43 percent. On Sunday, Spanos acknowledged that, if the vote (which needed to get 66 percent to pass) had gotten at least 50 percent in the affirmative, Spanos “mostly likely, probably” would have felt differently.

At this point, the Chargers “most likely, probably” will be leaving, barring a miracle even bigger than anything that could be expected on Christmas, Festivus, or any other major holiday, real or made up.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
If the Chargers do not, I am guessing the Raiders will, which will likely have a negative impact on the Rams fanbase. The casual fan likes a winner and the Raiders would be coming off a playoff season, plus they already have the largest fanbase in Los Angeles.

Psycho_X

Legend
If either the Chargers or Raiders decide to move to LA they can't do it until 2019 correct? I mean, there's no way two NFL teams and USC can play at the coliseum at the same time I'm assuming? So if either choose the option in the offseason they'd just have two lameduck seasons some where? Or are there other options in the LA area they could play at besides the Coliseum?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
If either the Chargers or Raiders decide to move to LA they can't do it until 2019 correct? I mean, there's no way two NFL teams and USC can play at the coliseum at the same time I'm assuming? So if either choose the option in the offseason they'd just have two lameduck seasons some where? Or are there other options in the LA area they could play at besides the Coliseum?
They'd have to work out a rental schedule with the Coliseum, as I understand it - that's what it sounds like regarding the Chargers.

Raiders, well... I believe they've stated that they would keep playing games in Oakland while their stadium was being built, but that was if they went to Vegas.

I can't imagine the NFL letting a team play in front of zero home fans for multiple years while their new digs are being built.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...s-will-be-able-to-choose-between-rams-raiders

Local NFL viewers will be able to choose between Rams, Raiders
By Jack Wang, Los Angeles Daily News

THOUSAND OAKS >> NFL fans in the Southland will have the chance to choose between two teams with Los Angeles roots on Saturday.

The Rams’ 1:25 p.m. kickoff against the 49ers will be broadcast on Channel 11, but Channel 2, which is contractually bound to air the Chargers, received permission from the NFL to drop San Diego’s morning game against the winless Browns. Instead, the CBS affiliate will air the Raiders’ home game against the Colts, which starts 20 minutes before the Rams’ second-to-last regular-season contest.

Rams broadcasts have faced head-to-head competition earlier this season, but that usually happened because CBS aired the Chargers. In this case, however, the Rams’ broadcast will overlap with the Raiders, a franchise that still has a strong fan base in Los Angeles after playing in the city from 1982-94.

The Raiders (11-3) will likely also be much more attractive to the casual viewer. Oakland recently clinched its first playoff berth since 2002 and has one of the league’s most exciting young quarterbacks in Derek Carr. The Rams and the 49ers, meanwhile, are entering their Week 16 matchup with 23 combined losses this season.

The Rams have not expressed any frustration with the television conflict.

“Since receiving approval to move back home to Los Angeles, we knew that other NFL games would air in the same window as Rams games,” a team spokesperson said. “In fact, this will be the fifth time this season this has happened. With more than 10 million people in L.A. County, this region is filled with not only Rams fans, but also fans of other NFL teams who are used to seeing the best games each week.

“We are pleased our fans can tune into Fox to see our historic rivalry when we host the San Francisco 49ers at the Coliseum on Saturday.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/19/spanos-admits-hes-leaning-toward-l-a-move/

Spanos admits he’s leaning toward L.A. move
Posted by Mike Florio on December 19, 2016

107849470-e1482163038222.jpg
Getty Images

The next time the fans of the visiting team outnumber the fans of the home team in a game between the Raiders and Chargers, the home team may be in playing in the city the visiting team once called home.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos admitted on Sunday that he’s leaning toward exercising his right to move to Los Angeles.

Spanos initially made the comments to Scott Kaplan of CBS, and Spanos then elaborated after the game.

“I said I was not going to make up my mind until after the season,” Spanos said, via Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “[Kaplan] asked the question, ‘Are you closer to leaving than staying?’ I said, ‘That would probably be an accurate statement.’ I also said I’m not going to make up my mind until after the season. . . . Everything is in place. I’m waiting on the city of San Diego.”

As Spanos waits, time is running out. The deadline for doing a deal with the Rams to share space in Inglewood arrives on January 15.

Spanos is widely expected to move, due in large part to the absence of any viable plan to keep the team in town. A recent non-offer to give the Chargers a 99-year, $1 annual lease, supported by two City Council members who opposed the ballot measure that failed miserably last month, rubbed Spanos the wrong way.

So did the outcome of the vote, which managed a positive outcome of only 43 percent. On Sunday, Spanos acknowledged that, if the vote (which needed to get 66 percent to pass) had gotten at least 50 percent in the affirmative, Spanos “mostly likely, probably” would have felt differently.

At this point, the Chargers “most likely, probably” will be leaving, barring a miracle even bigger than anything that could be expected on Christmas, Festivus, or any other major holiday, real or made up.
I personally would pay absolutely no attention to anything Florio has to say on this matter!!