Chargers catching heat for parking prices

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

CHARGERS HAVE THE AUDACITY TO CHARGE FANS RIDICULOUS PARKING PRICES FOR A PRESEASON GAME (PICS)

NFL tickets are expensive enough that you would think some teams would chill out on the prices of parking. Just a bit? A little?

Not the Chargers. Even though the team is just playing preseason games, they are charging some crazy prices to fans in order to see backup players struggle against other backup players.

NYT best-selling author Jeff Pearlman was headed to Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday to watch the Los Angeles Chargers take on the New Orleans Saints when parking became a bit of an issue.

Not because it was packed out with fans, but because the pricing around the stadium was ridiculous.

Here is a cool $100 fee for general parking:

View: https://twitter.com/jeffpearlman/status/1163160407680286725?s=21

Too much? Try this $60 fee that is miles away from the stadium:

View: https://twitter.com/jeffpearlman/status/1163162978226540544?s=21

Not really a huge surprise, since this was the pricing just last season around the same time.

View: https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1033546837079326720?s=21

This is even worse when you think about the fact that the Chargers are in the temporary stadium for this season until their new one officially opens in 2020. They can’t even pack out the temporary stadium, but somehow will figure out the attendance problem with a brand spanking new stadium.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm surprised Kroenke hasn't had Spanos disappeared yet. It's the only reason I keep subscribing to True Crime magazine.

oldnotdead

Legend
LOL That is pure Spanos family greed. Also, the stadium that has an NFL capacity of about 25K was half-filled for the game. Most of those 12K fans were Saint fans as well. But Spanos had to take heart in knowing all 100% of the 4K Charger fans came to the game.

They are going to be a total laughing stock in the new stadium. They can't fill a 25K stadium how will they fill a 70K stadium. They will have to rope off 50K seats as unsellable. They will never have a true home game with home field advantage unless they play their home games away in a neutral city and even then it's debatable. The NFL must have cringed every time the camera showed that half-empty tiny stadium.

As a former SD resident, I am not surprised. They are among the worst owners in the NFL and it's why Archie Manning didn't want Eli to play for them. (n)

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
LOL That is pure Spanos family greed. Also, the stadium that has an NFL capacity of about 25K was half-filled for the game. Most of those 12K fans were Saint fans as well. But Spanos had to take heart in knowing all 100% of the 4K Charger fans came to the game.

They are going to be a total laughing stock in the new stadium. They can't fill a 25K stadium how will they fill a 70K stadium. They will have to rope off 50K seats as unsellable. They will never have a true home game with home field advantage unless they play their home games away in a neutral city and even then it's debatable. The NFL must have cringed every time the camera showed that half-empty tiny stadium.

As a former SD resident, I am not surprised. They are among the worst owners in the NFL and it's why Archie Manning didn't want Eli to play for them. (n)
If it weren’t the opposing teams’ fans, most of the stadium would be empty. Spanos made a major miscalculation. We can only hope the NFL will fix this colossal mistake(pack them up back to San Diego)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If it weren’t the opposing teams’ fans, most of the stadium would be empty. Spanos made a major miscalculation. We can only hope the NFL will fix this colossal mistake(pack them up back to San Diego)

Yes, ... and with a NEW owner.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

Agreed. The Chargers need to go home to their fans.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They may need an embarrassing season before the NFL acts. A less than half-full Inglewood stadium for a team with a winning record, charging more for their ticket prices and parking, might do it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Does this mean BOTH of their fans are pissed off?

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I think you have to pump your brakes on this one. Idk the stadium set up in San Diego, but What cuaght my attention is $60 for parking miles away. Wouldn't that be an independent lot owner? here in st Louis if im not mistaken ALL of the stadium parking downtown is ran by independent people who make their own prices. It could be the same there

fearsomefour

Legend
I doubt the team is setting the parking price given the stadium situation.
That said, everything Spanos touches is garbage. He is a terrible owner devoid of intelligence, insight, connection or care for his fan base or even common sense.
Instead of working out a deal to remain the big fish in a smaller pond he decided to alienate a loyal fan base and become the 7th or 8th biggest fish in a giant pond.....and pay rent to do it.
He is a total fool who should have been forced to stay in San Diego it had the brains to fight to get to Vegas.
The Cowboys stadium last summer was charging $80 to park.
Went to a bar/grille place in a strip mall close to the stadium.
Ate, had some drinks, threw the door guy a $20 and said we would be back in 4 hours or so for the car. No problem.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
This might just put me in the "tin foil hat crowd", but I have a theory:

In 2016, the owners approved the Chargers to piggy-back the Rams relocation to LA for just one reason: to ensure that the Raiders COULDN'T go back to LA.

Since then, the Raiders got their sweetheart deal in Vegas, so they're ostensibly out of the fight for LA.

It might not happen immediately, but once the Chargers begin playing their home games at Stanadu to 30%-40% capacity crowds (the majority being fans of the opponent), the league will have to acknowledge that the Chargers in LA experiment just ain't gonna work.

They'll be back in San Diego by 2025....in a brand, shiny new stadium.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This might just put me in the "tin foil hat crowd", but I have a theory:

In 2016, the owners approved the Chargers to piggy-back the Rams relocation to LA for just one reason: to ensure that the Raiders COULDN'T go back to LA.

Since then, the Raiders got their sweetheart deal in Vegas, so they're ostensibly out of the fight for LA.

It might not happen immediately, but once the Chargers begin playing their home games at Stanadu to 30%-40% capacity crowds (the majority being fans of the opponent), the league will have to acknowledge that the Chargers in LA experiment just ain't gonna work.

They'll be back in San Diego by 2025....in a brand, shiny new stadium.
Let's go ahead and add to the fact that the NFL will once again have LA as a bargaining chip for new stadiums in other markets.
Having an open spot for a team in LA is good for stadium negotiations

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The NFL really needs to start weeding out these "heirloom owners" who don't have a pot to pi$$ in. For the good of the league the fewer of these types you have the better. Because the ones who suffer from those types of owners is the fans.

Which we know well from the Georgia days.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
I'm surprised Kroenke hasn't had Spanos disappeared yet. It's the only reason I keep subscribing to True Crime magazine.
[/QUOTE
Spanos gone . . 3,2,1
I heard Spanos has dirt on Clinton's.. lol..
News at 11