Changes in Coaching Staff in 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Unlike some I don’t foresee many unless some coaches leave for collegiate positions or if the Rams grant permission to other teams which could happen, but might not as well, however, here is the three assistants that will come under scrutiny once the season is over.
Many factors are going to play in here, first and foremost the Tennessee Titans are going to overhaul their coaching staff so many of former Fisher aides are going to be available and some bona fide lieutenants like Bruce Matthews and Strength & Conditioning Coach Steve Watterson, however, how many openings will the Rams have to offer some of these guys that will be quick hires for total new regimes in Houston, Detroit, Minnesota & Washington for example? Also Jim Schwartz will be sent packing in the motor city and seems like a natural to be added to the staff, but could he gain more opportunity with another staff?

Brian Schottenheimer Offensive Coordinator….I don’t see the Rams making a change here although many of us would be open unless Schottenheimer has an opportunity to be a Head Coach which will not happen he stays on. IMO Schottenheimer is limited as a play caller and he seems to dial up the same plays week in and week out. Now some work like the pass to Cory Harkey in the flat, however, when there is a big call to make with the game on the line most of us would not have confidence, but IMO Fisher likes him as his OC and they share similar philosophies, however, we watched in horror when Schottenheimer tried to open up the offense in horror, but I just don’t see a change coming and at the very minimum Schottenheimer has shown some growth this year.

Ray Sherman Wide Receivers Coach….I have probably been more critical of coach Sherman than many because IMO the Ram receivers have been undisciplined and under achieved. It was Sherman who really liked Brian Quick, but his development is not where many of us as fans would like. Also Sherman was let go in Dallas because he was more of a players coach and Jones felt the Cowboys lacked discipline. Well, IMO the Ram wide outs seem to lack that as well. Overall lately they have improved and their down field blocking ,but besides Bailey and maybe Pettis the other Ram receivers have struggled one way or another with route running and Sherman has been fired twice as an offensive coordinator (Steelers & Vikings) so he does not offer much upside and although I have seen a younger coach like Mike Grohl of Bears have great success maybe the Rams are just a veteran WR away from making this group great and I don’t see Fisher making a change here, but IMO the Rams would be better served with somebody else.

Tim Walton Defensive Coordinator…He’s been everybody’s whipping boy this year and for good reason. Not a fan of Walton and my hope is that Walton’s leaves for a collegiate gig as a college could spin it that he’ll be a good addition because the Rams defense has good stats. But all of us know that Fisher has taken over the play calling and Walton is at best learning his craft. As Jim Thomas reported maybe Jim Schwartz after getting fired as Head Coach of the Lions will be the perfect antidote as they can name Schwartz Senior Defensive Consultant and he will call the defense and Walton can learn under him. Regardless as Thomas reports he does not believe Fisher will fire defensive coordinators in back to back years so hopefully Walton sees the handwriting on the wall and departs for a collegiate opportunity or stays on as defensive coordinator in name only.

So summing it up Jeff Fisher’s greatest strength is his greatest weakness as well “Loyalty” and I don’t see many changes unless some coaches leave, but I know he wanted to have Watterson as Strength & Conditioning Coach when he came on board in 2012 so will Rock Gullickson who IMO has been solid be kept? I am hopeful that Jim Schwartz is added to the staff because like many I’ve seen enough of Tim Walton!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
With regards to WR Coach Sherman, his track record is enough for me to at least ask one very pertinent question.

You site issues in Dallas, and Jones claiming the Cowboys lacked discipline. How has that changed in Sherman's absence? Seem so to me, that at some point players have to been held accountable. Sherman seemed to have an issue reaching Dez Bryant in Dallas, and IMO, that was the main reason for his dismissal. But does anyone see any coincidence that Bryant's success came only AFTER Sherman's tutelage sunk in? and yet, the lack of discipline is worse than ever!

That his apparent lack of immediate development of the Rams receivers has more to do with THEM not doing the things he expects of them, then it does with him being out of touch? When I look at Givens for example, failing to be as detailed in the routes he is asked to run, for example, running a crossing route and rounding it off as if he has no interest in having the ball thrown to him, only to have it result in an interception. Is that on the coaching staff? ...or when running a comeback sideline route, he just doesn't know the meaning of COMING BACK TO THE BALL, but yet someone like Bailey runs the same route and is noticeably more fundamentally sound in his approach and technique? Or Same coach, coaching the same techniques, but one player fails to adjust his game and the other learns and excels.

So my question is...... How does one of the most experienced and successful position coaches in the modern era, who has coached some of the better WR units in the NFL, including the likes of Jerry Rice suddenly forgot how to coach the position? With this era of players, is it that he can't reach them, or that they aren't as "coachable" as players of the past?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd love Jim Schwartz to end up in St. Louis.

I agree; Schotty's not going anywhere and I'm fine with that.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So my question is...... How does one of the most experienced and successful position coaches in the modern era, who has coached some of the better WR units in the NFL, including the likes of Jerry Rice suddenly forgot how to coach the position? With this era of players, is it that he can't reach them, or that they aren't as "coachable" as players of the past?

It's a great question and maybe he just needs more time to develop these guys and again maybe adding a veteran would help as well too. However, next season the Rams will need more out of their WR's if we compare them to the Tight Ends for example under Rob Boras IMO the TE's have shown some improvement. Cory Harkey for example and last season the Rams did get some mileage out of Matthew Mulligan as well, but maybe that's omparing apples to oranges and Sherman needs another year.

There is not going to be a change here and Sherman will have more time and as I posted the Ram wide outs have improved their downfield blocking and in the last few games they have made some difficult catches, but I guess I was looking for more growth from Quick & Givens, however, maybe going with a back-up QB although playing better than expected has factored in as well.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It's a great question and maybe he just needs more time to develop these guys and again maybe adding a veteran would help as well too. However, next season the Rams will need more out of their WR's if we compare them to the Tight Ends for example under Rob Boras IMO the TE's have shown some improvement. Cory Harkey for example and last season the Rams did get some mileage out of Matthew Mulligan as well, but maybe that's omparing apples to oranges and Sherman needs another year.

There is not going to be a change here and Sherman will have more time and as I posted the Ram wide outs have improved their downfield blocking and in the last few games they have made some difficult catches, but I guess I was looking for more growth from Quick & Givens, however, maybe going with a back-up QB although playing better than expected has factored in as well.

I think the TE comparison may have some merit, but for me, is not an apples to apples comparison. Especially if you are going to site Matthew Mulligan as part of the discussion. He was a veteran who was brought in from New York, who had a good working knowledge of both this offense, and of Schottenheimer. HE SHOULD have been able to produce in the limited role they asked him to serve.

I also believe that the development of Quick and Givens, as well as the rest of the WR unit has been dramatically impacted by the loss of Bradford. A lot of people site Bailey's recent ascension, but lets be honest. He's catching 2-3 passes a game. And somehow that looks impressive compared to everyone else?

I have made my position on Brian Quick well known on this forum, so I won't rehash that here. I also have been on record as to my thoughts about Chris Givens. Have not been nearly as high on him as many are. I think he has some very bad habits in his overall game. Not the least of which is a lack of heart.

Watching training camp for the past two years, I notice Sherman making a point to "coach" all of the young WRs when they finish a rep. OR if they make a mistake in the route, etc. Brian Quick appears to be very attentive when Sherman talks to him. On the other hand, Givens will come off to the sidelines, and be approached by Sherman. He will stop long enough to make it look like he is listening, but doesn't seem all that interested in "hearing" whatever input he may have.

I realizing I am making judgments off of what happens in view of the public, which is usually not what happens behind closed doors. Not privy to meetings, film study etc. and how they are "coached" in those settings. But it wasn't Quick, or Pettis who were "benched" last year in SF because he put his off field "activity" ahead of the team.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think the TE comparison may have some merit, but for me, is not an apples to apples comparison. Especially if you are going to site Matthew Mulligan as part of the discussion. He was a veteran who was brought in from New York, who had a good working knowledge of both this offense, and of Schottenheimer. HE SHOULD have been able to produce in the limited role they asked him to serve.

I also believe that the development of Quick and Givens, as well as the rest of the WR unit has been dramatically impacted by the loss of Bradford. A lot of people site Bailey's recent ascension, but lets be honest. He's catching 2-3 passes a game. And somehow that looks impressive compared to everyone else?

I have made my position on Brian Quick well known on this forum, so I won't rehash that here. I also have been on record as to my thoughts about Chris Givens. Have not been nearly as high on him as many are. I think he has some very bad habits in his overall game. Not the least of which is a lack of heart.

Watching training camp for the past two years, I notice Sherman making a point to "coach" all of the young WRs when they finish a rep. OR if they make a mistake in the route, etc. Brian Quick appears to be very attentive when Sherman talks to him. On the other hand, Givens will come off to the sidelines, and be approached by Sherman. He will stop long enough to make it look like he is listening, but doesn't seem all that interested in "hearing" whatever input he may have.

I realizing I am making judgments off of what happens in view of the public, which is usually not what happens behind closed doors. Not privy to meetings, film study etc. and how they are "coached" in those settings. But it wasn't Quick, or Pettis who were "benched" last year in SF because he put his off field "activity" ahead of the team.

Yes! It's the way Bailey plays. He's so much better at running routes, giving full effort, and catching the ball, that while he may not have a huge amount of catches, there's a big difference in those limited catches than the catches(or lack thereof) from other WR's. I think that's why people have been talking about Bailey so much lately. It's because they see how much better he is at the traits that make a WR successful in the NFL. That doesn't necessarily show up as big stats...at least not right now. I think it will eventually, though.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yes! It's the way Bailey plays. He's so much better at running routes, giving full effort, and catching the ball, that while he may not have a huge amount of catches, there's a big difference in those limited catches than the catches(or lack thereof) from other WR's. I think that's why people have been talking about Bailey so much lately. It's because they see how much better he is at the traits that make a WR successful in the NFL. That doesn't necessarily show up as big stats...at least not right now. I think it will eventually, though.

I agree with that to a point. Because I see the SAME things from Quick, but all you hear when he comes up in the conversation is his "lack of production". And we all heard similar things when Givens was "lighting it up" last year with his 50 yard receptions. Suddenly he was the "best deep threat" in the league, and would be the #1 this year.

For the record, I think Bailey has a huge future with this organization. He has gone about it in absolutely the right way. Gain the respect of the coaching staff and his teammates with his contributions of Special Teams. Continue to work and wait his turn as a receiver and take advantage of his opportunity this far.
I, for one, think that a trio of Bailey, Quick and Austin could be a legitimate receiving corp. They compliment each other, and can all bring different things to the mix. Add Cook and they can be a dangerous unit. (for along time) Givens as an outside threat if and when they want to go to 4 WR, with Bailey and Austin inside. Maybe I am in denial, but I seriously do think this group of receivers can grow into something special.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd definitely keep Sherman and Schotty. Would let Walton go. JMO. It doesn't seem like he has taught our guys how to play zone well. They don't seem to know what they're doing.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with his take:
I'd definitely keep Sherman and Schotty. Would let Walton go. JMO. It doesn't seem like he has taught our guys how to play zone well. They don't seem to know what they're doing.

I'd agree but does it make sense that it's lack of coaching that they play 10 yards off the LOS? That seems more like something they were told to do. Don't know by who but that's the guy I want to replace.

V3

Hall of Fame

Is that on Walton or Cecil? I honestly don't know. I definitely agree they are not good at zone coverage, though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I, for one, think that a trio of Bailey, Quick and Austin could be a legitimate receiving corp. They compliment each other, and can all bring different things to the mix. Add Cook and they can be a dangerous unit. (for along time) Givens as an outside threat if and when they want to go to 4 WR, with Bailey and Austin inside. Maybe I am in denial, but I seriously do think this group of receivers can grow into something special.

I'm right there with you.

Normally I'm jacked to draft a playmaker; but I feel confident in what we have.

Build the oline and defensive backfield!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I personally have cooled on Schotty a lot. I know that Fish is a conservative coach, and I know this won't ever become a wide open offense--I don't think I'd want it to be. I just don't think Schotty can coach this team back from a deficit. The play calling once they fall behind is pretty unimaginative. Maybe that's just me, but it's a concern.

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm right there with you.

Normally I'm jacked to draft a playmaker; but I feel confident in what we have.

Build the oline and defensive backfield!

i thoght you were one of the people wanting to draft watkins or evans

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that on Walton or Cecil? I honestly don't know. I definitely agree they are not good at zone coverage, though.

It's on Walton. If you're going to implement a scheme, you better make sure the players can run it. And it's not just the DBs having issues.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes Walton is the largest target of the staff IMO, however, I concur with Jim Thomas I don't see him being fired either Jim Schwartz is brought in as a Senior Defensive Consultant and Walton is quietly pushed aside or Walton sees the hand writing on the wall and leaves for the college ranks as a DC. Either way I just don't see Fisher firing Walton IMHO.