Center Alex Mack is available

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-voids-contract-set-to-be-a-free-agent-again/

Alex Mack voids contract, set to be a free agent again
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 2, 2016

When the Browns begin the latest rebuild, they’re going to have to shop for a new cornerstone in the middle of their offense.

According to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports, center Alex Mack has decided to void the final three years of his contract, which will make him an unrestricted free agent.

He’s still considering a return to Cleveland, but getting a look at the open market will make that return much less feasible.

Two years ago, he signed a transition tag offer sheet with the Jaguars, but the Browns matched to keep him there for the short term.

Surprise, the Jaguars are still looking for an answer at center, and have room to go shopping next week even if their General Manager disputes the notion it’s going to be a spree.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
At this point in the teams development, I think I just as soon draft a good young center. Veteran leadership on the line would be great but if he is looking to win now, he is probably not gonna be happy in LA. Throwing the money he probably gets at him, isn't going to be a good idea either, because he reportedly has been on the decline.

That said, he is still probably better than Barnes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
At this point in the teams development, I think I just as soon draft a good young center. Veteran leadership on the line would be great but if he is looking to win now, he is probably not gonna be happy in LA. Throwing the money he probably gets at him, isn't going to be a good idea either, because he reportedly has been on the decline.

That said, he is still probably better than Barnes.

Yeah I'd love to see the Rams draft a center too. But the thing is we only have 7 draft picks and might end up with one or two less if they move up for a QB. We need roughly the following:

2x WRs
1 QB
1 C (pending Barnes return)
1 TE
1 DE (pending Hayes return)
1 DT
1 LB (pending Barron return)
1 K

Just off the top of my head they need about 9 players for next year, and in that number I do expect them to sign Hayes and Barron but that is no given. I don't know if they want to sign Barnes, I think they do for a reasonable amount but if they decide to upgrade there who can fault them? Mack would slot in between potentially two year 2 players (Brown & Wichmann both of whom I expect to start next year) and settle this line down immediately.

Not beating a drum on him or anything, but there is plenty of logic in adding him to this line. This isn't some guy who's gonna be looking for a big payday to ride into the sunset, either. This is a guy who is more Timmerman, who has played at a high level and will upgrade whatever team signs him.

Anyway, assuming the Rams do fill C, DE, and LB in FA, they still need 6 others. If they fill one WR spot and maybe depth DT in FA it should allow them to go into the draft with only WR, QB, TE, and K as starter/competition needs which gives them flexibility to move a round 2 pick or both if necessary for a move up. Or to load DE & DT depth too in a deep draft.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Sign Mack bring in Manning draft Treadwell bring back all our key guys on defense and watch the rams win a superbowl there first year in LA

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah I'd love to see the Rams draft a center too. But the thing is we only have 7 draft picks and might end up with one or two less if they move up for a QB. We need roughly the following:

2x WRs
1 QB
1 C (pending Barnes return)
1 TE
1 DE (pending Hayes return)
1 DT
1 LB (pending Barron return)
1 K

Just off the top of my head they need about 9 players for next year, and in that number I do expect them to sign Hayes and Barron but that is no given. I don't know if they want to sign Barnes, I think they do for a reasonable amount but if they decide to upgrade there who can fault them? Mack would slot in between potentially two year 2 players (Brown & Wichmann both of whom I expect to start next year) and settle this line down immediately.

Not beating a drum on him or anything, but there is plenty of logic in adding him to this line. This isn't some guy who's gonna be looking for a big payday to ride into the sunset, either. This is a guy who is more Timmerman, who has played at a high level and will upgrade whatever team signs him.

Anyway, assuming the Rams do fill C, DE, and LB in FA, they still need 6 others. If they fill one WR spot and maybe depth DT in FA it should allow them to go into the draft with only WR, QB, TE, and K as starter/competition needs which gives them flexibility to move a round 2 pick or both if necessary for a move up. Or to load DE & DT depth too in a deep draft.

I agree that slotting a top veteran at center, between the younger players sounds good, but Cleveland fans seem to think he didn't play all that well the last few season. I wouldn't assume they could get him on a modest contract. He has been demanding top money up to this point. Why would he change his pattern now?

In Free Agency I would like a WR like Benjamin or Jones, but beyond that most of what they will get is probably good depth, unless they pay for JJP or Mario Williams. If they want a DT, they should draft one in rounds 2-3. They could get Avery good one on the cheap for 4 years.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Mack might be willing to take less money to play in LA, he grew up in the LA area and has lots of family here.
If they sign Mack and draft a center this year, the drafted center won't be pressured.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Guess I'm just gun shy from our recent history of FA centers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Another classic looool:

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
We need a vet like Mack to guide the oline because Saffold is not reliable enough. I wouldn't overpay for him but if it's reasonable I say bring him in.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
We need a vet like Mack to guide the oline because Saffold is not reliable enough. I wouldn't overpay for him but if it's reasonable I say bring him in.

What's your definition of reasonable, JUMA?

Not being a smart aleck, serious question.

He was pulling down $8 million per and I think it's unlikely that he doesn't expect a pay raise.

That's a lot of cheddar for a declining 30 something C, if you ask me.

Put another way, can't we get more bang for our buck with a FA at QB, WR, TE, DE, LB, or maybe even CB or S?

In several of those positions we could perhaps get 2 players for the price of Mack.

Color me unenthused about Mack.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Personally, as much as i have banged the table for Mack in the past, it would be incredibly irresponsible of us to throw him $10mil/year that he is asking for to sign him and allow JJ to walk. Even with JJ's immature antics, he is much younger and very vital to our team's defensive success so throwing $10mil, or even $11mil/year, at him would make more sense. On top of that, this draft class is stacked with potential starting centers. Bring back Barnes on the cheap and let a selected rookie learn behind him until he is ready. I like Zack Martin's younger brother as a possible fit in the second or third round.. That's of course after we trade up and grab Wentz in the first.:rockon:

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel

He was pulling down $8 million per and I think it's unlikely that he doesn't expect a pay raise.

Put another way, can't we get more bang for our buck with a FA at QB, WR, TE, DE, LB, or maybe even CB or S?

In several of those positions we could perhaps get 2 players for the price of Mack.

He is making a lot cash that's why I said reasonable. And to solidify our oline I would go 5.5-6.5 a year on him.Maybe he wants out of Cle or maybe he'll take it to play close to home.Either way if we could get a player of his caliber to anchor our young studs I'd do it.

Debacled

Starter

Id guess he expects more guaranteed money. Opting out may not have been for a pay raise rather another shot at guaranteed money since he was through all of that in his past contract. Smart move since he has played up to that last contract and moving into his 30s it is a good idea to look for something that won't be pulled out from under him with him not getting anything out of it.