CB Trumaine Johnson had a nightmare game last Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have been waiting to see if anything would be posted on him but I have not seen this mentioned yet...... but did anyone else notice that CB Trumaine Johnson did not start @ his usual left CB post against the Giants? Johnson had started 6 straight games since he returned to full action against AZ wk 10? EJ Gaines was said to have started last Sunday.

In truth its hard to keep up with what DB starts or doesn't due to the amount of Nickle & Dime that is used. But early on the few times the Rams had just two CB's on the field (very rare) It was EJ & JJ not TJ. It had been discussed that EJ was the Nickle after Joyner went down to injury. Speaking of E.J. Gaines, it was reported Monday, according to coach Jeff Fisher, and is going through the league's concussion protocol. EJ was hurt several times in the Giants game but returned until the 3rd quarter when he was carted off.

Back to Trumaine, early in 2013 TJ had a poor TC & pre season but by the end of the 2013 season & early this 2014 pre season until Trumaine was injured it was my impression that Trumaine Johnson was the Rams best CB. So what I saw from his play against the Giants was surprising. Not sure what was going on with Trumaine but it was certainly one of his worse performances that I have seen if not his worse. Johnson has been very healthy until that injury in pre season (MCL sprain) all I can recall is a concussion he had in November of 2013. TJ had injured that same knee back in 2008 in his first yr in college. in 2009 he was injured with a concussion and broken arm.

Has anybody seen any information this week on Trumaine Johnson being sick or ill before the Giants game? Lets hope that he was just having a really bad game & hope not to see any more play like that.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I have been waiting to see if anything would be posted on him but I have not seen this mentioned yet...... but did anyone else notice that CB Trumaine Johnson did not start @ his usual left CB post against the Giants? Johnson had started 6 straight games since he returned to full action against AZ wk 10? EJ Gaines was said to have started last Sunday.
Gaines and JJ have started over Tru every possible game this season. When healthy both Gaines and JJ have played every snap, and Tru plays roughly 60-70%. Gaines slides over to Nickel and Tru goes back out wide. As to what happened on sunday, no clue; late nights, early vacation, outmatched.

duckhunter

Starter
TJ needs to be playing FS. EJ opposite JJ on the outside and Joyner in the slot. Barron as a rover and McDonald as SS.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I thought TJ could turn out to be the best of the bunch eventually. He's got the size to play with bigger receivers. But so far he's not living up to my expectations. Whats concerning is his poor tackling. That will lead to big plays more than being beat downfield.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not sure what was wrong with Tru...Seemed like he was over matched by a superior opponent...Which leads me to believe he won't be starting in the future with EJ Gaines & Joyner & JJ....I too, liked his game a bunch, but with him in press coverage, he was getting eaten up. ODB didn't just have a great game, Randle was all over the field too...Granted it was one game, vs a great QB. But still, he will be needing to be re-signed soon. Not sure where Chuck Cecil & Williams stand, but his performance was eye-opening...In a bad way...Thought he was better than that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
TJ needs to be playing FS. EJ opposite JJ on the outside and Joyner in the slot. Barron as a rover and McDonald as SS.

Nice to see you back in here this month its been a while.(y)

Up to this point Fisher has needed Johnson playing CB. Things have changed up some. Back in 2012 draft many of the projected draft sites had the 6-2 210 pound Johnson moving from CB to FS in the NFL. So there could be some thoughts going into your suggestion duckhunter this off season.

Fisher has Johnson & Jenkins together for one more season in 2015 before they enter UFA'cy in 2016. Currently it sure looks like JJ will get a more serious offer for a future good size contract in 2016. Fisher looks to be finally fat @ six outside CB's. They all are very young: Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, Gaines, Roberson & McGee. Fisher also has a young trio of DB's who can play the Nickle in Joyner, Gaines & McLeod.Fisher seems to be very fortified in 2015 with larger very young talented Strong Safety types:

McDonald 6-2 1/2 219 pounds
Alexander 6-1 222 pounds
M. Barron 6-2 213 pounds
Cody Davis 6-2 208 pounds
Christian Bryant 5-9 202 pounds

Even though Fisher & Williams continue to sing loudly of free safety Rodney McLeod's praises, the weakness in our very solid strong defense appears to be in the far deep back range areas. Trumaine Johnson is certainly a lanky defender has an easy four inches of height on Rodney & Trumaine has good vertical reach of close to 36 inches too. Trumaine has shown a lot of athletic ability since his arrival. Another thing evident is Trumaine has much better long speed than short area speed. Up till this season TJ also has been a very effective tackler & with his size is an imposing athlete in our secondary. Trumaine has 8 ints in 3 seasons vs. Rodney having only 4 ints.

No telling what changes our HC & DC will plan in the off season in this defense but it sure looks like EJ & JJ will be our starting corners with a slew of Nickle & Dime corners returning to be available. So Trumaine Johnson may get the chance take his 40 NFL games of experience & his two dozen starts to compete with McLeod & Cody Davis @ deep safety. Its not a bad ideal.

duckhunter

Starter
Thanks, BR.

I would hope he does it for the team. His size, running, smarts, and skills just screams FS.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Not sure what was wrong with Tru...Seemed like he was over matched by a superior opponent...Which leads me to believe he won't be starting in the future with EJ Gaines & Joyner & JJ....I too, liked his game a bunch, but with him in press coverage, he was getting eaten up. ODB didn't just have a great game, Randle was all over the field too...Granted it was one game, vs a great QB. But still, he will be needing to be re-signed soon. Not sure where Chuck Cecil & Williams stand, but his performance was eye-opening...In a bad way...Thought he was better than that.

He is. One bad game doesn't overtake the amount of good games he's had. If that were the case, no player would ever be resigned. Especially Dick Sherman after Chris Givens torched him.

Seattle+Seahawks+v+St+Louis+Rams+enKbCPVCe1Cx.jpg