Casserly:....Rams have the best offense in the Division....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
The thing about this is that I recall Wade Phillips stating that while the base is a 3-4, he runs plenty of 4-3 and tailors the D to the personnel. I thinking (hoping) he's still learning who can do what and will have the D fine tuned over the next few weeks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Charlie's one of those guys who only goes off what he sees. He didn't think the Rams had offensive talent before, now he's all over it and saying "wow those guys have done a great job getting weapons in there." It's the same deal with the defense.

Wade doesn't run a difficult scheme. Dude excels in year one most everywhere he's been because he keeps it simple. These guys are effin it up right now but a lot of the mistakes will get corrected.

The DBs aren't terrible. They definitely missed Kayvon after his injury but most defenses would if they lost one of their top two guys. Safeties need work but a lot of that is magnified due to injury as well.

RE and the ILB spot manned by Barron are my concerns right now. Both might see improvement on the part of Quinn and Barron but if not we'll see new blood in those positions and the defense should still dramatically improve.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
enough with the Barron BS. AO has looked twice as bad as Barron every game. in fact Barron looked pretty damn good last game

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
5 games from now.... if our defense looks this bad as a whole, I will start to worry. But hardly any of these guys have played together. ... only since game 1or game 2 if you count Donald. ....I expect the whole defense to tighten up quite a bit......maybe even still become elite with these same players....we will see....;)

Go Rams........ ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
enough with the Barron BS. AO has looked twice as bad as Barron every game. in fact Barron looked pretty damn good last game

If your expectations are an up and down defense and a middle of the pack ranking like we had last year with our defense then I suppose that's true.

My expectation is a top defense. I think it's what we should have with the talent + coaching. Neither of them have looked good, however I did like that tackle Barron made in the backfield last week. Not hating on either, but I think it's fair to say that the bar needs to be raised. We need not only better play, but better consistency.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It was best said, by someone else, on another thread, I forget who, BUT "the first 3 games have been like the pre-season for our "D", a lot of players didn't play in the pre-season, including Donald!"
So now that we have 3 weeks of "Pre-Season" over, I think we see our entire "D" come together!!

Last edited:

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's too much talent on defense for it not to be good. So I'm going to wait patiently as they come along.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would expect that gaudy 35ppg number to drop back down to Earth to around 24-27ppg and that's not necessarily a bad thing either. If and when(hopefully) the defense settles down, Goff and co won't be forced to score on every possession. Damn i hate bad defense.

Zero

Pro Bowler

View: https://youtu.be/4dJ0bBQZJjw

Gonna have to disagree about what Casserly said about the D.
Wade Phillips will do whatever he has to to get this D clicking.
He will adjust his scheme if necessary,to make sure his personnel
are playing to their strengths.Wade is too damn good at what he
does for this D not to improve.One of the reasons he is the top
DC in the league is because he is not a guy who is locked in to
anything he does.He has a open mind and will not stay pat if a
change is called for

.Who knows he might pull a Fritz Surmer
and invent a completly different scheme.What was that?
the 4-2-5?

fearsomefour

Legend
5 games from now.... if our defense looks this bad as a whole, I will start to worry. But hardly any of these guys have played together. ... only since game 1or game 2 if you count Donald. ....I expect the whole defense to tighten up quite a bit......maybe even still become elite with these same players....we will see....;)

Go Rams........ ;)
Haha.
Start to worry?
The season will be over by then.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Haha.
Start to worry?
The season will be over by then.

Yeah that's exactly what I mean.... by then i doubt ill have reason to worry... they will be killing it on d....;)

Go Rams....... ;)

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
If your expectations are an up and down defense and a middle of the pack ranking like we had last year with our defense then I suppose that's true.

My expectation is a top defense. I think it's what we should have with the talent + coaching. Neither of them have looked good, however I did like that tackle Barron made in the backfield last week. Not hating on either, but I think it's fair to say that the bar needs to be raised. We need not only better play, but better consistency.

well of course it does but every post I read is Barron this Barron that AO has been worse that's what im saying

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“However, their Defense will be their achelies heel. They do not have the personnel for a 3-4 defense. You can run inside at their linebackers.”

http://www.rams-news.com/casserly-sean-mcvays-system-perfect-fit-jared-goff-video/
I'm still not worried about it yet. It gets frustrating, but I really think it'll get sorted out. It's a pretty big transition for the linebackers to go from 4-3 to 3-4. Not to mention the role of the safeties filling gaps. It'd be nice if they had a ton of time to work on it or even a season under their belt already, but this is going to be a learn-on-the-job kinda thing unfortunately. I have confidence that they'll keep repping it until it becomes second nature, and that they'll all start reacting to situations as opposed to overthinking it before hand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
well of course it does but every post I read is Barron this Barron that AO has been worse that's what im saying

AO does deserve just as much criticism, I'll give you that. For myself, I just think he'll settle into this defense quicker than Barron will, given his time through last year's camp and season as the MLB. Barron has impact ability around the LOS, but over time I've not seen as much from him in that type of role. He had one strong season when our DC let him run free at chase LB.

So similar skills yes. Both best served as WILL in a 4-3. Question of who, if any, will settle in comes down to personal opinion and that's my rationale.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW Casserly also commented in the beginning of free agency that the Andrew Whitworth signing was not a good one because of his age.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
He says "Goff is a rhythm short throw type of QB"

Leading the league in YPC, and top 2 in passes over 20 yards.