Cary Williams: I stand by my claim that the Patriots are “cheaters”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 6, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT

carywilliams.jpg

Getty Images

Eagles cornerback Cary Williams raised eyebrows around the NFL when he said of a joint practice with the Patriots that he didn’t want to practice with “cheaters.” But Williams doesn’t understand why that claim is controversial.

Did I say the wrong thing? No,” Williams said, via the News Journal. “I stand firm on what my beliefs are, and that’s just that. I didn’t tell a lie. At the end of the day, that did happen. It’s in the history books. As far as I’m concerned, I made a comment about it and that’s that.”

Asked if he thinks the Patriots will be coming after him next week when they practice together and then play against each other, Williams said it doesn’t matter.

“I don’t care,” he said. “That’s the whole point. I don’t care if they come after me or not. That doesn’t scare me. My mentality is I’ve never been a punk, never been a sissy, never been a guy that’s going to be a scared guy. I don’t play this game in fear at all. I don’t fear no man. As far as I’m concerned, you put your pants on as well as I put my pants on. We’re going to man up when we get there.”

If nothing else, Williams has injected a little interest into next week’s preseason game. We’ll see next week if the Patriots take the bait and respond.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
What IS the controversy? He's right. They cheated so hard Goddell DESTROYED evidence of it to protect his sacred cow. Guess he was just supposed to put his head down and say nothing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He wasn't even in the league when that happened, but I applaud his outspoken nature in this case.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What IS the controversy? He's right. They cheated so hard Goddell DESTROYED evidence of it to protect his sacred cow. Guess he was just supposed to put his head down and say nothing.

Exactly. He basically said what most people think, fans and players alike. Shame he's the only one with balls enough to speak plainly about it.

What happened to the Walsh guy who did the video taping? Gag money?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Some things just echo through history,this is one,he's right and I have doubts they don't still cheat whenever they can.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seriously though. Why hasn't the guy been interviewed about what he was asked to do? Have I missed it?
I'm sure your scenario is the correct one.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
He wasn't in the NFL when THAT happened. How do we know other things have not happened since?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The guy is simply stating what many around the league know. You have to figure that the players talk about it and there are a great many that despise the cheatriots and Goodell for sweeping it under the rug the way they did.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Even if he is talking about that incident, who can blame him, even if he wasn't in the league he's still a footballer like those men before him. He wants and yearns for the chance to say he's a Super Bowl champion, the creme de la creme of his dream job. He also knows how it feels to be cheated, so he can understand and sympathizes with the guys who's dreams were shattered, not by their own inability, but by being cheated and robbed from it. It probably leaves an unsavory taste in every ball players mouth regardless of if they were around or not, he just had the balls enough to say it.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Exactly. He basically said what most people think, fans and players alike. Shame he's the only one with balls enough to speak plainly about it.

What happened to the Walsh guy who did the video taping? Gag money?

I believe it was gag money.
Possibly pursuant to a settlement of litigation or something.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Cheaters! The Patriots leadership are a bunch of smug lying, filthy cheaters!

Tis easier to get forgiven then get permission. The Patriots cheat, knowing if the truth were exposed through video, the NFL would suffer a huge black eye. So the NFL destroyed the evidence. A recording or a video is so much more powerful than hearsay. Ray Rice would get more than two weeks suspension if the DA released the video. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I would love for the Rams to trash the Patriots 60-3. Smush them, bash them, crush them, laugh them out of the freaking stadium!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I also stand by that claim. They are convicted cheaters as long as Belicheat is the head coach.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The guy is simply stating what many around the league know. You have to figure that the players talk about it and there are a great many that despise the cheatriots and Goodell for sweeping it under the rug the way they did.
Marshall Faulk being one of them.

Philly5

Rookie
They cheated for years and got a slap on the wrist. Not even talking about the way our WRs were mauled. Destroyed the evidence because even King Goodell would not have gotten away with the coverup if it saw the light of day.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Good for Cary Williams. You have to admire someone who speaks the truth no matter how "offended" some people may be.