Carrington adds to interior depth on Rams defensive line/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Carrington adds to interior depth on Rams defensive line
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4a0f06e9-6b54-5791-8811-559a6a6336bb.html

Alex Carrington seemed to be on the verge of a breakout season with the Buffalo Bills last year when a torn quadriceps tendon ended his campaign after just three games.

“As soon as it happened, I was like, ‘No, not right now,’’’ the 26-year-old defensive lineman said. “I was right in stride. At that point, I had not been that clear in my career. Everything was clicking together for me and then it just went out on me.

“I was pretty upset for 15, maybe 20 minutes, but then I realized you can’t do anything but get better from there. You can’t get unhurt by being sad about it, so I had my surgery and started my rehab and focused on staying positive.’’

While the season-ending injury closed out Carrington’s four-year stay in Buffalo, it has led to an opportunity with the Rams, who signed him to a one-year deal in late March. The 6-foot-5, 301-pound Carrington also drew interest from Oakland, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

So why St. Louis?

“Just the environment, really,’’ he said, talking after a recent OTA workout at Rams Park. “I had a real good visit and heard a lot of good things about coach (Jeff) Fisher, (defensive line) coach (Mike) Waufle and (defensive coordinator) coach (Gregg) Williams.

“I think I’ll be a good fit for what they’re trying to do here. I know they play good, attacking defense, and I want to be part of it.’’

Waufle said that Carrington has been on his radar since the Arkansas State product came into the league as Buffalo’s third-round draft pick in 2010.

“I watch everybody in the league, but he caught my eye the first day of the Senior Bowl practices that year,’’ the coach recalled. “When I saw the list of free agents, there were some other so-called big-name guys, but Alex, because of his size, speed and athletic ability, was the guy I thought would be a great match for us.

“We definitely feel like he can help us.’’

Already one of the league’s top units, ranking third behind Carolina (60) and Buffalo (57) with 53 sacks in 2013, the Rams return Pro Bowler Robert Quinn as well as Chris Long, Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, William Hayes and Eugene Sims from their regular defensive-line rotation. In addition to Carrington, the Rams also picked up talented and highly productive Aaron Donald of Pitt with the 13th pick of the NFL draft.

“You can never have too many defensive linemen,’’ Waufle stressed. “In my mind, everybody’s a starter, so I don’t get too caught up in all that. It’s not about who comes out of the tunnel with the smoke, it’s who’s on the field making plays. And if you look at the number of plays, we’re usually pretty balanced. I’ve always liked playing a lot of guys because they all feel like they’re a part of it and contributing. It becomes a brotherhood of men and once you get that, you’re able to weed out the selfishness.

“It’s a highly competitive unit — we’ve set the bar high and our guys really work hard — and, because of the way we’ve set it up, there’s no reason for anybody to go at less than 100 percent at all times.’’

Some would shy away from joining a unit as strong and deep as the Rams’ defensive line, but Carrington is looking forward to the challenge.

“I was part of a good line in Buffalo and there are a lot of talented people here; why wouldn’t you want to be around talented people?’’ he said. “I think the competition helps step my game up and helps me learn some things.’’

Carrington credited the Rams training staff as he continues to work back to full strength. But Waufle said the team is taking a conservative approach.

“I’m sure he could do more, but there’s no reason to push a guy coming off an injury, especially in June,’’ the coach said.

Carrington, who played everywhere from nose tackle to outside linebacker in Buffalo, will focus on defensive tackle with the Rams. He takes special pride in his ability to shut down the run game and to help collapse the pocket on pass plays.

“You take care of business on first and second down, you can eat on third down,’’ said Carrington, who has also blocked six kicks in his NFL career. “I’m just about 100 percent and things are still slow, football-wise. I just have to get back in the rhythm and knock some of the rust off.

“I’ve played mostly read-schemes in the past, but here, it’s go all the time. ... It’s kind of exciting for me to play a style of football that is so conducive to production.’’

SierraRam

Recreational User
I've read a lot about the Seahags signing Williams, but we got the better and younger DT. We have 4 starters inside

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
You know, it's a really good article, and thanks to RamBill for posting it... but there's got to be a way for some of these PD writers to write headlines that don't inspire... well...

You_don%27t_say.png

FRO

Legend
It was a great signing. I love these low risk type signings we did this offseason. That's how free agency is done.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's been a long long long ....long time since we have had such a deep & young talented DL.

Six DT's-Brockers, Langford, Carrington, Conrath, Donald & Harlan
Six DE's-Hayes, Long, Sims, Quinn, Sam & Westbrooks.

The big sleeper surprise out of this cadre might be Ethan Westbrooks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well if Brockers right ankle problem is a recurrence of his rookie HAS ,he might not have to challenge.

In 2012 when Brockers was unable to play we suffered through Cudjo & Kellen Heard. This season we have players like Aaron Donald, Carrington & Conrath! Very Big difference.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
In 2012 when Brockers was unable to play we suffered through Cudjo & Kellen Heard. This season we have players like Aaron Donald, Carrington & Conrath! Very Big difference.
Oh I agree just sayin' I worry that if this is the same HAS problem it may be becoming chronic

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oh I agree just sayin' I worry that if this is the same HAS problem it may be becoming chronic

I wonder if they tape themselves up for OTA's as they would other practices?

Hmm.

But regarding Brockers; it might be a simple tweak. They've not disclosed anything about anyone sitting out to my knowledge.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Great interview. Dude seems smart and excited to be a Ram. I liked Waufle's comments as well. This front seven can not be overstated or overrated. Eat on 3rd downs all year boys. FEAST!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's been a long long long ....long time since we have had such a deep & young talented DL.

Six DT's-Brockers, Langford, Carrington, Conrath, Donald & Harlan
Six DE's-Hayes, Long, Sims, Quinn, Sam & Westbrooks.

The big sleeper surprise out of this cadre might be Ethan Westbrooks.

Could challenge Eugene Sims, IMO.

What's the scoop with Westbrooks? He went undrafted. Sounds like significant off the field baggage?

Speeps

Starter
I love this defensive line. Young, versatile, athletic, big, nasty, and talented. Love it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I wonder if they tape themselves up for OTA's as they would other practices?

Hmm.

But regarding Brockers; it might be a simple tweak. They've not disclosed anything about anyone sitting out to my knowledge.
It was reported he skipped practice by someone yesterday,I don't THINK the team has to issue injury reports this TOY

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I scouted Ales Carrington. One of Alex's hidden talents is blocking field goals and extra points. Alex can also drop back in coverage during one of Greg William's wild bunch blitzes.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Carrington was/is one of the most underrated FA signings in the league. If for nothing else, the added talent to the dearth of talent our DL already possesses. What a scary unit...top to bottom, this unit is!

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I like how this article came out and it's news from March..... really? Your a sports writer and write a old ass news story? .........
FML August couldn't come soon enough

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alex Carrington adds to already deep D-line
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9292/carrington-adds-to-already-deep-d-line

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- When most free agents go shopping for a new home, the priority list usually looks something like money, playing time and a chance to win, in that order.

For a free agent like new St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Alex Carrington, who is coming off a torn quadriceps, the money wasn't going to be what he wanted. Playing time would seem to take precedence so that his next contract could provide more cash. So as he sifted through interest from the likes of Oakland, Cleveland, Baltimore and Pittsburgh, all would seem more appealing than the deep and talented group already present in St. Louis.

Carrington didn't quite see it that way. In fact, Carrington not only chose the Rams despite the presence of so much defensive line talent but because of it.

"I know it’s a pretty heavy rotation with the D-line," Carrington said. "There’s a lot of talented people. Why not be around talent? It helps step my game up and I can learn some things from people."

Those some people include the likes of ends Robert Quinn, Chris Long and William Hayes and tackles Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford. After signing a one-year "prove it" deal worth $1.5 million on March 25, Carrington could have reconsidered that sentiment when the Rams used the No. 13 overall pick on another defensive tackle, Aaron Donald.

He didn't.

"I wasn’t really concerned about who they drafted," Carrington said. "I started looking at some stuff about him and he’s a talented kid. I’m glad to be on his team."

And the Rams are clearly glad to have Carrington on theirs. Entering free agency, the team made it clear that they wouldn't be spending big money on the open market, instead searching for potential bargains.

Although defensive tackle didn't jump out as the most glaring need, the Rams viewed it as an important area to upgrade behind starters Brockers and Langford. They identified Carrington as a potential fit right away, noting his positional versatility in Buffalo and the chance to get him at a bargain price as he rebounded from the injury.

The Rams kicked the tires on other possibilities such as Henry Melton and Antonio Smith but Carrington remained right at the top of the list. Upon visiting St. Louis, Carrington felt at home right away after having played his college ball not far away at Arkansas State. He hit it off with coach Jeff Fisher and defensive line coach Mike Waufle and immediately liked their plan for how to deploy him.

"The D-line is a big part of this team and I’d like to be a part of that," Carrington said. "Just hearing stories about the guys before I came was a big part of it. I know they play good, attack defense. I wanted to be a part of that, I really did."

In coming to St. Louis, Carrington will also get an opportunity different than anything he did for the Bills. While Buffalo also fielded a talented group around him, Carrington played a little bit of everything from nose tackle to outside linebacker in the team's ever-changing schemes. Despite that evolving role, Carrington never really got to play in an aggressive system that allowed him to get up the field.

That's why Carrington doesn't come to St. Louis with a particularly impressive statistical resume. In 44 career games, the former third-round pick has a pedestrian 52 tackles with four sacks and a forced fumble.

"Here it’s go all the time," Carrington said. "I have been part of more read schemes in the past and stuff like that. Here, we just go. Pin your ears back and that kind of excites me a little bit that I actually get to play a style of football that’s conducive to production."

The question then becomes how many opportunities Carrington will get to contribute. In 2013, backup defensive tackles Matt Conrath and Jermelle Cudjo combined for just 338 snaps. That duo struggled to produce, often forcing the Rams to move end William Hayes and Eugene Sims inside. By way of comparison, Carrington played 155 snaps in only three games.

With Carrington and Donald in place, the Rams should be able to keep Sims and Hayes outside on a more consistent basis and continue rotating their top eight linemen without skipping a beat.

From a health perspective, Carrington says he's close to 100 percent and has spent the recent organized team activities knocking off any rust. And he's left any leftover disappointment from the injury in the past.

"As soon as it happened, I was like ‘No, not right now,’" Carrington said. "Contract year, I’ve got to do this. I was pretty upset about it for 15 minutes, 20 minutes. But then I was like ‘Well, you can’t do nothing but get better from here.’ You can’t get unhurt by being sad about it."