Carr and Stafford also available?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Geez, it could be wild if all these QBs move around. I am dizzy with all the articles.

Stafford, Carr, Newton, Rivers...

Sort of makes you wonder if the QB salary is reaching that tipping point it might not be good for the league.

All your ageing legends could move around at the end of their careers because of it. Not that Carr or these guys are legends... but the point being starters will move at the end of their careers.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we're considering those two, then add Sam Bradford to conversation...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

So how do you reconcile that divide? I don’t know the answer.

Because... I agree, these are $10MM quality starters in some cases... but they ride the coat tail of the elite QB’s when it comes to salary.

I think what's happened is there's now enough depth in the 'QB-you-can-win-with' pool

It does seem the bucket here is bigger than usual.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect some of it is that rookie QBs are coming in and having a good season or two - and then some are being figured out. It makes sense to ride those few years, with cap room to have depth, and when they start to struggle or show signs of being figured out, trade them or let them go. Of course, after a blatant mistake or two is made when they have a revival the pendulum will swing the other way.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Its amazing really when you think of how many teams may be looking to replace their starter due to bloated or expiring contract, retirement, underperforming or just ridiculous demands. I may have left someone out but you get the idea.

Brady
Rivers
Stafford
Dalton
Carr
Newton?
Tannehill
Winston
Trubisky
Brissett
Bridgewater
Mariota
Dak?

That is a chunk of change if half of it happens.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haha, bortles was probably expecting to get a good contract this season. Now he sees half the qbs in the league on the open market.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haha, bortles was probably expecting to get a good contract this season. Now he sees half the qbs in the league on the open market.

But he had two passing attempts for a total of three yards!

Maybe he'll sign another discount contract with the Rams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really good point. How to value Bortles in this market?

The backup market has been $2MM-$5MM/yr.

TXRams86

The Infamous
If I’m Bortles, I stay with the Rams and ride the pine to a decent payday this season. He isn’t getting paid to be a starter this season, might as well enjoy the California weather and the babes there. But that’s just my opinion.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I suspect some of it is that rookie QBs are coming in and having a good season or two - and then some are being figured out. It makes sense to ride those few years, with cap room to have depth, and when they start to struggle or show signs of being figured out, trade them or let them go. Of course, after a blatant mistake or two is made when they have a revival the pendulum will swing the other way.

That's a HUGE risk because it assumes finding a good QB every time you draft that position. If it was that easy QB's wouldn't be paid the way they are paid.

fearsomefour

Legend
Smith almost lost his leg and had something like 16 surgeries due to complications after his broken leg.
He is done.

fearsomefour

Legend
If I’m Bortles, I stay with the Rams and ride the pine to a decent payday this season. He isn’t getting paid to be a starter this season, might as well enjoy the California weather and the babes there. But that’s just my opinion.

Totally depends on who offers what and state tax rates if I’m in his shoes.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a HUGE risk because it assumes finding a good QB every time you draft that position. If it was that easy QB's wouldn't be paid the way they are paid.

Of course, it's a risk. So is drafting a QB high, paying him many millions, and then about the time he's good giving him a second ginormous contract and hope he can perform without enough talent around him because of cap limitations. you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Excepting Brady, in the current NFL how many QBs are winning two titles? And Brady was taking below market contracts while there were reputedly shenanigans with his side business being paid by the Patriots. Along with the other cheating, of course.

Winning two titles happens, but it is rare now.

Edit: Oh, and I would apply this more to gimmick QBs. Running is rarely a good long term strategy. Pocket passers are more likely to last, imo

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Of course, it's a risk. So is drafting a QB high, paying him many millions, and then about the time he's good giving him a second ginormous contract and hope he can perform without enough talent around him because of cap limitations. you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Excepting Brady, in the current NFL how many QBs are winning two titles? And Brady was taking below market contracts while there were reputedly shenanigans with his side business being paid by the Patriots. Along with the other cheating, of course.

Winning two titles happens, but it is rare now.

Edit: Oh, and I would apply this more to gimmick QBs. Running is rarely a good long term strategy. Pocket passers are more likely to last, imo

I think the lesser amount of guys with more than 2 rings is because of the cap.

Hoping you can keep finding guys to play on rookie contracts is never going to work. When you get a really good QB you have to pay him and make the rest of the cap work for you. IMO that's the smart way to go.