Cardinals sign Palmer and Fitzgerald to extensions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...lmer-larry-fitzgerald-to-one-year-extensions/

With Carson Palmer turning 37 this coming December and Larry Fitzgeraldnearing 33, the Cardinals are currently operating within a championship window that could close at a moment's notice. But on Friday, the front office ensured that window will continue for the next couple seasons.

As first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Cardinals signed both Palmer and Fitzgerald to one-year extensions, which means Fitzgerald will remain in Arizona through the 2017 season and Palmer will be there through 2018. CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported that Palmer will get a $6.75 million signing bonus and his $15.5 million salary for 2017 is now guaranteed for injury.

It'd be difficult to find someone who disapproves of these deals. Though both players are old, they're still performing at their peaks.

A year ago, Palmer finished with the league's third-highest passer rating (104.6), the fourth-most yards (4,671), and tied for the second-most touchdowns (35). He also led the league with 8.7 yards per pass. Fitzgerald, on the other hand, tied for the fifth-most catches (109), ranked ninth in receiving yards (1,215), and hauled in nine touchdowns.

Together, the two players helmed one of the league's most explosive offenses, which averaged a league-high 408.3 yards per game and 30.6 points per game (second-highest in the NFL). They also produced one of the most memorable moments of the playoffs when the duo dragged the Cardinals to the NFC Championship Game.

Barring any significant injuries, the Cardinals should continue to spar with the Seahawks for the top spot in the NFC West in the years to come. Last year, the Cardinals emerged as the victors with a 13-win season that ended two weeks before the Super Bowl.

The extensions will also give the Cardinals more time to ease into their next era, as it grants them a few more years to identity Palmer's successor while younger receivers like John Brown, Michael Floyd, J.J. Nelson, and Jaron Brown will be allowed to ease into larger roles in Bruce Arians' offense.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I've heard this is probably the last year the Cards have a legitimate chance to win a SB. Both Palmer and Fitz are getting a bit long in the tooth, and they have a bunch of guys coming up for free agency they probably can't keep because they won't have enough cap space. I really like Fitz, but over the years he has been a huge thorn in the side of the Rams. He just has the "It" factor I wish one of our receivers had. IMO, Palmer will struggle because age will catch up with him as the season progresses. I really think we can sweep them this year. Won't be easy but it will happen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am anxious to see if Palmer can bounce back.

He ABSOLUTELY imploded in the playoffs last year. His age? The big stage? Whatever it was it got into his head.

Cardncub

Rookie
I've heard this is probably the last year the Cards have a legitimate chance to win a SB. Both Palmer and Fitz are getting a bit long in the tooth, and they have a bunch of guys coming up for free agency they probably can't keep because they won't have enough cap space. I really like Fitz, but over the years he has been a huge thorn in the side of the Rams. He just has the "It" factor I wish one of our receivers had. IMO, Palmer will struggle because age will catch up with him as the season progresses. I really think we can sweep them this year. Won't be easy but it will happen.

Copied from our site:

Our cap situation is pretty good.

According to spotrac, this is how much we have left for 2017 before Fitz/Palmer extensions but AFTER Honey Badgers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/

$36,388,993

...and this does not include whatever the cap goes up by, which seems to be 10+ million a year.

So we literally might still have $46 or so million to spend on re-signing our guys, rookies, free agents.

It's 6th most space for 2017 in the NFL.

For 2018 (also 6th most space)
$75,206,220

+ TWO years worth of cap raises, so it might be around $95 million

Meanwhile, for comparison, here's the Eagles....

2017 $-30,838,690
2018 $-14,615,605

That's before any cap raises.

Other teams with potential issues for 2017
Jets $-20,340,731
Cowboys $-17,442,316
Chiefs $-15,347,802
Ravens $-7,341,658
Texans $-3,685,894

Our cap situation is comparatively in pretty good shape. I'm not worried one bit.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the $36 million for 2017 doesn't include whatever Fitzgerald is going to be paid - he gets $11 million this year, I doubt it goes down. And depending on how it's structured, Palmer's new extension adds $2-3 million to 2017. So that's a third of the cap room, before adjusting for any other raises, etc. Guaranteed money to elderly by NFL standards players, one of whom has a history of injuries. I'm not saying I wouldn't have done it too, but it is still costly.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Both 1 year deals which is a smart move by the Cardinals. Despite the local media spin though...their WIN NOW window is still rather small. They've been drafting more for need(at the top of the draft) IMO and there is still no one legit on the roster being groomed at QB.
But hey, the Diamondbacks went all in on a championship back in 2001 and got it done. More power to 'em if the Cards can go get a title before they become a talented .500 team minus a QB. We Rams fans know what that's about.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am anxious to see if Palmer can bounce back.

He ABSOLUTELY imploded in the playoffs last year. His age? The big stage? Whatever it was it got into his head.

He's no kurt warner.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Copied from our site:

Our cap situation is pretty good.

According to spotrac, this is how much we have left for 2017 before Fitz/Palmer extensions but AFTER Honey Badgers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/

$36,388,993

...and this does not include whatever the cap goes up by, which seems to be 10+ million a year.

So we literally might still have $46 or so million to spend on re-signing our guys, rookies, free agents.

It's 6th most space for 2017 in the NFL.

For 2018 (also 6th most space)
$75,206,220

+ TWO years worth of cap raises, so it might be around $95 million

Meanwhile, for comparison, here's the Eagles....

2017 $-30,838,690
2018 $-14,615,605

That's before any cap raises.

Other teams with potential issues for 2017
Jets $-20,340,731
Cowboys $-17,442,316
Chiefs $-15,347,802
Ravens $-7,341,658
Texans $-3,685,894

Our cap situation is comparatively in pretty good shape. I'm not worried one bit.

It does seem like a good deal for the Cardinals. Especially if both players play at past levels.

Palmers last game could have just been a bad game, but he went all Rick Ankiel in that one.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I still think Newton stole the MVP award.........it was, IMO, a race betwen two guys from the NFCW. Wilson and Palmer.

Both had WAY better years than Newton and without those two both teams would have had a losing record. Without Newton the Panthers could have used a backup and won 8-9 games, that D was that teams MVP.

Cardncub

Rookie
It does seem like a good deal for the Cardinals. Especially if both players play at past levels.

Palmers last game could have just been a bad game, but he went all Rick Ankiel in that one.

Very true CGI. Palmer definitely needs to exorcise some playoff demons.

Cardncub

Rookie
Both 1 year deals which is a smart move by the Cardinals. Despite the local media spin though...their WIN NOW window is still rather small. They've been drafting more for need(at the top of the draft) IMO and there is still no one legit on the roster being groomed at QB.
But hey, the Diamondbacks went all in on a championship back in 2001 and got it done. More power to 'em if the Cards can go get a title before they become a talented .500 team minus a QB. We Rams fans know what that's about.

I think you need to stick to the Rams because this shows how little you actually know about the Cards. I know you live here but posts like this make me wonder if it's homerism for the Rams or the fact you don't know as much about the Cards as you think. The Cards are set up for long term success. There may come a time when Stanton will be the bridge to the next franchise Q-back but even then I think we will be well over .500 with our D & running game to support him. Extending Palmer & Fitz was more about going for 2 if they happen to win it all this year. They are the deepest team team in terms of back ups or 2nd & 3rd string players. They will more than likely be releasing players that could be starters on other teams. We've sucked for a very long time & I've stuck with them thru thick & thin & would be the first to call them out if they were not imo having a plan in place in case Palmer went down. I have the utmost respect for Keim & the top brass that I have complete confidence in what they do. Big change from the Cardinals from just 10-15 years ago when they had the human snail Rod Graves as GM & the old man was still involved.

Still love ya tho Mojo. :thumbup:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think you need to stick to the Rams because this shows how little you actually know about the Cards. I know you live here but posts like this make me wonder if it's homerism for the Rams or the fact you don't know as much about the Cards as you think. The Cards are set up for long term success. There may come a time when Stanton will be the bridge to the next franchise Q-back but even then I think we will be well over .500 with our D & running game to support him. Extending Palmer & Fitz was more about going for 2 if they happen to win it all this year. They are the deepest team team in terms of back ups or 2nd & 3rd string players. They will more than likely be releasing players that could be starters on other teams. We've sucked for a very long time & I've stuck with them thru thick & thin & would be the first to call them out if they were not imo having a plan in place in case Palmer went down. I have the utmost respect for Keim & the top brass that I have complete confidence in what they do. Big change from the Cardinals from just 10-15 years ago when they had the human snail Rod Graves as GM & the old man was still involved.

Still love ya tho Mojo. :thumbup:

The Cardinals will be less relevant as soon as Palmer declines, is injured, or retires. Unless they get lucky in the QB lottery.

They are under .500 without Palmer. That doesn't smell like set up for long term success to me. It sounds like EVERY OTHER TEAM in the league.

Sorry not sorry.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
but even then I think we will be well over .500 with our D & running game to support him
So you think a strong D and running game minus a legit starting QB gets you a quality team in terms of wins and losses? It doesn't. If you can give me some examples of this i'm listening.
Set up for the future? How? Cards are set up for a Super Bowl run. I'm not making this up.

You're a Cards fan, you should know first hand what life is like in the NFL without a QB. Since '88 when they arrived in Tempe almost 30 yrs ago they've had three legit QB's. Plummer(won a playoff game), Warner(Super Bowl runner-up) and Palmer(won a playoff game). It's been a whole lotta 5-11 in between.
nixweiss.gif

You probably don't need a history lesson but i just don't understand how you believe the Cards are set up for the future with a 36 yr old Palmer and Stanton at QB.

Even if you've got quality or elite talent elsewhere you're still irrelevant in this league. Handing the ball off to DJ, praying your QB doesn't make mistakes and hoping your stacked defense can hold the other team to 10 points every week will get you 7-9

Lets just be friends okay? :D

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I still think Newton stole the MVP award.........it was, IMO, a race betwen two guys from the NFCW. Wilson and Palmer.

Both had WAY better years than Newton and without those two both teams would have had a losing record. Without Newton the Panthers could have used a backup and won 8-9 games, that D was that teams MVP.
Yeah all three were outstanding but Cam...45 all purpose TD's? That's 315 pts (including the extra point).
The Rams put up 280 pts as a TEAM
f.gif

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

I highly disagree. That team was terrible minus Cam, Luke, a few others, and that coaching staff. I still believe that may be the worst team of individual talent to ever make a super bowl. I feel like there were so many starters on that team that before the 2015/16 season few, if any, other teams would be happy with these guys on their team, let alone a starter. Off the top of my head, Harper, Coleman, Tillman, Ginn, Finnegan, Oher, Cotchery. Aside from coleman and oher, all those guys are old and way past their prime, and really werent that great, yet somehow the panthers made it work. They were like a rag tag pick up team yet somehow had an amazing season, which IMO is a great job by the few stars they had and that great coaching staff

Cardncub

Rookie
The Cardinals will be less relevant as soon as Palmer declines, is injured, or retires. Unless they get lucky in the QB lottery.

They are under .500 without Palmer. That doesn't smell like set up for long term success to me. It sounds like EVERY OTHER TEAM in the league.

Sorry not sorry.

I'm pretty confident they will be a plus .500 team when Carson retires. Respect your opinion though.

Cardncub

Rookie
So you think a strong D and running game minus a legit starting QB gets you a quality team in terms of wins and losses? It doesn't. If you can give me some examples of this i'm listening.
Set up for the future? How? Cards are set up for a Super Bowl run. I'm not making this up.

You're a Cards fan, you should know first hand what life is like in the NFL without a QB. Since '88 when they arrived in Tempe almost 30 yrs ago they've had three legit QB's. Plummer(won a playoff game), Warner(Super Bowl runner-up) and Palmer(won a playoff game). It's been a whole lotta 5-11 in between.
nixweiss.gif

You probably don't need a history lesson but i just don't understand how you believe the Cards are set up for the future with a 36 yr old Palmer and Stanton at QB.

Even if you've got quality or elite talent elsewhere you're still irrelevant in this league. Handing the ball off to DJ, praying your QB doesn't make mistakes and hoping your stacked defense can hold the other team to 10 points every week will get you 7-9

Lets just be friends okay? :D

I think you are underestimating Stanton. He was 5-3 as the starter when Palmer went down & this is a much more talented team on offense & defense. DJ isn't are only talented back by the way. CJ & Ellington make us the deepest & best backfield in the league. The Rams on the other hand have Gurley & no one else. If he goes down you are screwed.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Palmer could realistically play another 3-5 years.
I've seen some qbs that were around 40 have some great years.
Other than possible injuries, he looks great.
Brady looks better now than he did 5 years ago and he's up there in football years.