Cardinals S Tyrann Mathieu on Colin Kaepernick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Interesting insight from an opponent the Rams face on Sunday.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...elaborates-on-issues-with-49ers-passing-game/

Mathieu elaborates on issues with 49ers’ passing game
Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptc3ztu1m2y4zjvkndgzotliztbhmtmymjjlmwiwyzk2-e1443563669886.jpeg
AP

Tuesday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio included a visit from Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, who had plenty to say about the 49ers’ passing game immediately after a 40-point win over the 49ers.

He elaborated on his views regarding the simplicity of an attack that served up four interceptions and generated only nine completions on Sunday.

“Not to take any shots at [Colin] Kaepernick or their offensive coordinator [but] we prepare so much playing in the NFL, we watch so much film, and it’s really easy to pick up on what certain teams do and what they like to do,” Mathieu said. “And then there’s other teams that they don’t have the variety of things to do and it was real easy for us to anticipate routes and get the breaks on the ball last Sunday.”

Last week, Cardinals safety Tony Jefferson told PFT Live that Kaepernick struggles to throw outside the numbers. On Sunday, all four of Kaepernick’s interceptions came in that area of the field.

“The world knows what type of quarterback Colin Kaepernick is,” Mathieu said. “Obviously, he’s a dual threat. He can beat you in the passing game if you let him, but most of the time a lot of their pass concepts are designed for him to run to his right, to our left, to make it an easier read and to make it an easier throw because you think about a lot of their passing game, a lot of those are roll out passes. So you basically cut the field in half and it makes it easier for the quarterback to read, but it also makes it easier for the defense to kind of anticipate where the ball is about to go.”

So how concerned is Mathieu that openly talking about these flaws will make the 49ers improve their passing game before a rematch in San Francisco on November 29?

“Well, I’m sure those guys are hearing this and probably gonna flip a few things here and there, but you talk about the NFL and every team has an identity,” Mathieu said. “Some teams are able to get out of that identity for maybe a game or two but most teams are gonna stay the same. Because that’s what they’ve been coaching all season, all in the spring and they've been practicing those plays for a very long time, so I don’t expect much to change, but what I do expect is for them to come out and try to establish a passing game because they couldn’t do that [Sunday] night.”

The 49ers will have plenty of additional chances to establish passing game before the rematch. But with the word out on the limitations, it’s not going to be easy for the passing attack to improve.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Damn, man. Honey Badger has been bringing the quality quotes as of late.

Rainram

Starter
And it's reasons like that for which sometimes you just have to be able to line up and beat the man in front of you. Why, if you can impose your will in the run game, it makes so many things easier. Study all you want, but we can line up and play some smash mouth, run it down your throat football, you're gonna be in trouble.

(Problem is we haven't been able to do that. Not one bit.)

fearsomefour

Legend
Its a big red flag when teams do a lot of rolling out for the reason he states, it usually means the team doesn't trust him reading the field....Arizona did this with Leinart a lot.
Kaperdoodle came from an O in the pistol that is designed to limit QB reads....it makes sense he struggles with it in the NFL. With the need to score points now to help a shaky D he is going to be exposed this year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If I was this guys coach, I would tell him to STFU. Truth or not he needs to just line up and play. He likes to sound like the smart guy but his coaches told him that stuff in preparation for the game. They probably told him that for the last two years because the Niners started using half the field for Kap in 2013. Most fans learned this from watching NFL network. I don't think I would call him a student of the game, especially if he just figured this out now.

Either way players commenting on other players games is just better left unsaid. He was gloating a bit too. He's a punk.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not like he's saying anything folks don't know. 9ers losing Greg Roman was the real issue for them because he left a QB gettin paid good money that most OCs aren't good enough to utilize. Roman's the effin man. Look what he's doing with Tyrod in Buffalo now, dude just knows how to maximize his talent offensively.

Anyway from that perspective I think Cigs is going to be a little tougher for them than Schotty was. He's a little more unpredictable, a little more aggressive, and definitely does a better job comin out of halftime. But this line and offensive team really needs to effin execute. Leave it all on the field Rams!!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

In Mondays show of nfl live trey Wingo took a shot at jaws. They were showing the highlights of the whiner game and Wingo said - we can safely assume that krapondick does not have a chance to be one of the best qbs of all time. Everybody had a good old laugh, including me.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
FB_IMG_1443483091157.jpg

I posted this once before, but I like it so up it goes again!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...athieu-nabs-nfc-defensive-player-of-the-week/

Tyrann Mathieu nabs NFC defensive player of the week
Posted by Josh Alper on September 30, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptllndq3ywe5zta2ngiwyjm4owi5mju2m2jkmgzjmzg4-e1443625461305.jpeg
AP

When Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu was a guest on Tuesday’s PFT Live, he spoke to Mike Florio about his performance in last Sunday’s 47-7 rout of the 49ers.

It was an outing worthy of congratulations as Mathieu picked off Colin Kaepernick twice and returned one for a first quarter touchdown that helped get the blowout rolling. Mathieu added five tackles, one of which was for a loss, and another pass breakup to the ledger.

The NFL took notice of Mathieu’s work and named him the NFC defensive player of the week on Wednesday. It’s the first time that Mathieu has been so honored and he’s the first Cardinals player to take the prize since cornerback (and fellow LSU alum) Patrick Peterson was named the winner in Week 10 last year.

Mathieu and the rest of the Cardinals defense have allowed 49 points through the first three weeks of the season, which has helped Arizona to convincing wins in each of their first three games. They’ll try to keep it up against the Rams this Sunday.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Damn, man. Honey Badger has been bringing the quality quotes as of late.

I cant wait to hear what he has to say about wussel wilson after playing the shecocks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I cant wait to hear what he has to say about wussel wilson after playing the shecocks.
Doesn't seem like he'd take any shots at Wilson. If anything he'd give us some insight into how the tards game-planned against him.
I love hearing about that kinda stuff. Film-study and game-planning.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'll admit it, Honey Badger has surprised me. That first year I thought he was one of those guys whose hype would surpass anything he actually did. Like Crapperdick. I think I'm wrong on that score.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
His character concerns were the only reason he fell. They haven't been an issue and he's been stellar. Dang shame he isn't a Ram. He'd fit right in with what we like to do.

A55VA6

Legend
His character concerns were the only reason he fell. They haven't been an issue and he's been stellar. Dang shame he isn't a Ram. He'd fit right in with what we like to do.
I was so high on Mathieu coming out of that draft, still am. Guy can play.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess all the work Kurt Warner did with this guy during the offseason hasn't helped him one bit. Click the link below to watch the video.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/01/kaepernick-can-be-salvaged-and-heres-how-to-do-it/

Kaepernick can be salvaged, and here’s how to do it
Posted by Mike Florio on October 1, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptg4yjbhymq5ytjlogezyjm2mge0yweyztm2ogriodji-e1443726775599.jpeg
AP

In this age of overreactions and gleefully tearing down those we’ve built up, many have declared that 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is done.

He’s not. At least not yet.

The guy has talent; it’s undeniable. But the 49ers need to use him in a way that maximizes those talents and minimizes his flaws.

Kaepernick bears some of the blame. His desire to change who he is by working on becoming a pocket passer and trying to consciously take some of the speed off of his fastball has made him too conscious at times of how forcefully he’s throwing the ball. Kaepernick needs to just deliver the pass and let the receivers figure out how to catch it; that’s their job.

The offensive linemen need to do their jobs better, too. All too often against the Steelers in Week Two, Kaepernick faced a swarm of defenders before he could even begin to figure out what to do. They need to give him enough time to make a decision on whether to throw or to run.

And he should be encouraged to run. But for a Sean-Taylor-on-Brian-Moorman-style hit that Kaepernick absorbed from Vikings safety Harrison Smith, Kaepernick has been able to protect himself, getting to the ground either by sliding or by an awkward-but-still-effective collapse to the ground.

Finally, the 49ers need to tell Kaepernick to never throw off his back foot. Too many of his throws in the pocket to the sidelines originate from that awkward position, resulting in balls that float and flutter and get picked off. He needs to drive the ball, like he does when he’s throwing it between the numbers.

So, yes, there are plenty of things Kaepernick does well. Coaching is about putting him in position to do the things he does well, and not requiring him to do the things he doesn’t do well.
--------
He was good in that year when running QBs dominated. Heck, RG3 was good that year. Defenses have caught up , evolved and these QBs with early success did not evolve with it.

At least the Redskins were smart enough to make a change. The niners management has too much pride to admit their mistakes, even if it means losing for the next decade
-------
I don’t think any offensive line in the league can give him enough time to figure out what to do. That’s a huge part of his problems….not having the ability to go through his progressions.
--------
The thing is, in the NFL, QBs have to read defenses and throw the ball well. Both of which he can’t do. So the niners can play to his strengths for now, but when his mobility is gone at age 30-32, he will be out of the league. The same thing happenned to McNabb. Great athlete, but inferior passer. When he lost a step, he was done.
--------
Size, running ability and arm strength are no substitute for reading a defense and throwing on time with accuracy. Until Kaep learns those things, he will be a middle-of-the-road QB at the best.
--------
Colin is an athlete – not an NFL quarterback. Harbaugh and Roman were able to hide him by adjusting to his strengths ie; seam passes to tight ends and 15-yard square ins by possesion receivers. It makes you wonder why Jeep Chryst just doesn’t go back to those plays.

However! Jedediah York, Baalke and Wayne Fontes part deaux have all stated they want the Niners to be a power run team. That’s great when you’re defense is top 5 and can get stops like the Niners were in 2011-2013.

With a Swiss cheese D like they appear to have now – you’re down 21 before the end of the first quarter. Ya can’t power run when you’re trailing by three TD’s! Doh!

It’s going to get extremely ugly this fall at the Field of Jeans. Wonder if Jed can double book the venue?

Puppet Show and…49ers game…Wah, wah, wah

Name
Tom
If you didn't see the game, Kaepernick looked so befuddled, so lost, so scared. I actually feel really sorry for him as a human being, but since he's a Niner......screw him.