Cardale Jones (Who is he?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kap.
Size, ability to run and arm strength don't guarantee success. With such a small sample size there is zero chance I would take him at 10 or anywhere in the first round.

I think, if anything, Kaepernick is why you draft him.

Kaepernick doesn't throw with anticipation, struggles reading a defense, is incredibly slow through progressions, and has poor pocket presence.

Yet the guy is still an average QB because of his freakish tools.

Which means that if he develop the kid and he lacks the ability to throw with anticipation as well as being overly reliant on his legs, he can still likely be an average QB for us.

Hell, Daunte Culpepper couldn't throw with anticipation and was mediocre at reading defenses but until he lost his legs, he was one of the better QBs in the NFL because of his freakish arm strength, size, and mobility.

So consider this...what happens if this kid can read defenses and throw with anticipation?

If he can't but is still willing to work hard(unlike JaMarcus Russell), he can likely still be an effective QB for us.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
listen to what you're saying. He is 3rd best in the nfl draft and 2nd best on his own team. I don't buy it.

One it says alot about the pecking order on Myers teams and what he values. And two it speaks to the talent at QBs in this draft. To the second point, he is at best better than Hundley or at worst just behind him. Where are Hundley and these QBs projected to go? Very late first but more likely the 2nd to 4th round. He is at least that good.

Lastly it talks about how the QBs that Meyer recruits fit his system. Dual threat Qbs are who he plays and supports at the callege level (and believe me that he has the two freshmen tha are not being talked about are as good at this system as J.T. Barrettt and Miller were. It is Tebow vs Newton all over again and we know who Myers chose. B. Miller is not coming back to OSU. Not when he can transfer and start for a potentially top 10 team with no penalty.

In terms of pro potential, I am taking Newton pro over Teabow. Just I would take Jones over everyone else in the draft but Winston & Mariotta.

Time will tell.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One it says alot about the pecking order on Myers teams and what he values. And two it speaks to the talent at QBs in this draft. To the second point, he is at best better than Hundley or at worst just behind him. Where are Hundley and these QBs projected to go? Very late first but more likely the 2nd to 4th round. He is at least that good.

Lastly it talks about how the QBs that Meyer recruits fit his system. Dual threat Qbs are who he plays and supports at the callege level (and believe me that he has the two freshmen tha are not being talked about are as good at this system as J.T. Barrettt and Miller were. It is Tebow vs Newton all over again and we know who Myers chose. B. Miller is not coming back to OSU. Not when he can transfer and start for a potentially top 10 team with no penalty.

In terms of pro potential, I am taking Newton pro over Teabow. Just I would take Jones over everyone else in the draft but Winston & Mariotta.

Time will tell.

I was just about to say the same thing. Tebow started over Newton...didn't make him a better pro prospect. Just a better college player.(although J.T. Barrett is damn good in his own right)

Great post.

Athos

Legend
Which means that if he develop the kid and he lacks the ability to throw with anticipation as well as being overly reliant on his legs, he can still likely be an average QB for us.

I don't think you even have to worry about that. KraperDick is reliant on his legs primarily because everything else in his arsenal sucks. Jones doesn't look like a one read and then take off type. Herbie was noting how, even when Jones escaped the pocket and was using his legs, his eyes were downfield looking for a play to develop.

That's already a skill KraperDink doesn't have in since arsenal, and CK has been a pro for awhile now.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think, if anything, Kaepernick is why you draft him.

Kaepernick doesn't throw with anticipation, struggles reading a defense, is incredibly slow through progressions, and has poor pocket presence.

Yet the guy is still an average QB because of his freakish tools.

Hell, Daunte Culpepper couldn't throw with anticipation and was mediocre at reading defenses but until he lost his legs, he was one of the better QBs in the NFL because of his freakish arm strength, size, and mobility.

So consider this...what happens if this kid can read defenses and throw with anticipation?

If he can't but is still willing to work hard(unlike JaMarcus Russell), he can likely still be an effective QB for us.
Yeah I get the potential.
Not buying it. I think someone this inexperienced would turn into a one look and run QB. Maybe he is a savant and just gets it....I'm not being a smart ass....his play has certainly been impressive for a guy who was coming from deep on the bench.
It's possible. I wouldn't do it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I get the potential.
Not buying it. I think someone this inexperienced would turn into a one look and run QB. Maybe he is a savant and just gets it....I'm not being a smart ass....his play has certainly been impressive for a guy who was coming from deep on the bench.
It's possible. I wouldn't do it.

Just my opinion but if he isn't doing that now, why would you expect him to do it in the future? It's not really something you turn into.

Nobody here is advocating that you play him in 2015. Give him time to sit and develop on our team.

Athos

Legend
Just my opinion but if he isn't doing that now, why would you expect him to do it in the future? It's not really something you turn into.

Nobody here is advocating that you play him in 2015. Give him time to sit and develop on our team.

Yep. What I've seen in these limited games is scrambling to pass, not to run. Outside of plays designed to run of course. Like the sneaks.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm intrigued.

A raw talent like this behind Bradford. Perfect situation for him and us.

fearsomefour

Legend

Yeah, maybe I should rewatch the game.
I just don't see it being practical. But I would give the game another view.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If Cam Newton can play one season at Auburn and go #1 overall, Jones can still be a 1st round pick after 3 games.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I hope C. Jones is getting good advice.

Based on my understanding of the rules, the best thing he can do "right now" is declare for the draft. By rule he can then do a "buyers remorse" and return within 72 hours (Monday). This would give him more time to assess his options.

I believe his best option is to go pro and he/his advisors would figure this out given enough time and more counsel other than from Coach Myers.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If Cam Newton can play one season at Auburn and go #1 overall, Jones can still be a 1st round pick after 3 games.
Because of 3 unique games, and game situations.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Kiper, or did he agree with me, since I said 2nd round before he did, hmmm.

Memphis Ram

Legend

And Newton's draft class was FAR stronger at the top (Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Robert Quinn, JJ Watt, Nick Fairly, Aldon Smith, Tyron Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Mike Pouncey, etc.)