Car question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I've got a 1999 Suburban K1500 LT with about 187K miles on it.

We just bought new tires for it last year (to the tune of over $800, dangit) and the transmission went out. That facilitated some hard thinking and we bought a new car (2015 Honda Accord Hybrid) instead of feeding the repairs and low gas mileage of the Suburban which used to haul around the 6 of us, but lately was mostly just one or two people at a time and we don't go camping anymore.

Love the new car and still can't wrap my head around $25 filling up the tank.

That said, with the transmission down, we've been back and forth on what to do... fix it...don't... and finally we realize we just aren't going to have the funds to fix it. I found a transmission on LKQ and it was about $900. Yeah, that wasn't going to happen.

Which leads me to my question. I was thinking about donating it, but because of my current tax situation (I'm a disabled vet, so my money is tax free... I'm very frugal, we've had to be), I don't have to file tax returns. Well, until this year. The wife is returning to work.

So, we thought about donating the car..., but I realized the interest on our home loan will more than cover what she makes. Which brought up the question of calling a salvage yard.

I've never sold a car. I REALLY don't relish doing it. The car doesn't run (transmission won't let it go into reverse and I don't trust it on the road). The tires are relatively new, but it's been sitting in my driveway for a bit. Tread on 'em is great, dammit. They should be for 80K radials...

Anyone have any ideas how best to handle it? I know that donating a car is one of the top flags for getting audited now and I don't really need the write off, but I'm great giving the car to an actual charity (one where the CEO doesn't take most of the charity's money). I'm also fine going salvage. I just don't have the foggiest idea and I know there are plenty of my Ram brothers out there who are car guys who, hopefully, can give me guidance...

Help me Obi Ram Kenobi... you're my only hope...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Check the wholesale book value on the vehicle with a working trans. If the repairs are more than the truck is worth, salvage it if thats really what you want to do.
After pulling the new tires off. I guarantee someone would like to have them. They should sell fairly easy. The buyer would more than likely be willing to give you their old tires as part of the deal. I myself would pull the tires and sell it outright whether I decide to fix the Trans or not. trucks and suvs have good resale values. Even with high miles and less than perfect condition.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
See, I dunno know anything about any of that.

How would I take them off? I could remove the wheels from the truck, I suppose, but I can't fit the truck wheels in my car trunk... maybe one at a time, but...I dunno. Maybe not. Actually... probably not. So, even if I could make 4 trips to a tire place, to take the tires off the rim, I don't have any way to move even one wheel.

See, I'm totally lost on the logistics of all this. Makes no sense to me at all...

And it kills me because I'm still paying off those damn tires...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I donated two cars to Purple Hearts over the years, and never got audited.
There are several reasons aside from that donation that could cause me to get audited, but it never happened.
Donating a car to a good charity should give you enough karma to negate a potential audit.
Plus, you don't appear to be doing anything wrong should you get audited, so go with your first instinct.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Sell it to a local. My old Mercury had damn near 250,000K miles on it with a fucked up transmission as well. Someone still bought it. Sell it and get something for it, b/c once it shits the bed, it's over.

The last thing I would do is call a salvage yard. You would get hardly any money (if any) and if you do, probably will get ripped off.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I donated a car to the AHA a few years ago. I think the maximum deduction you get is $500. No audit followed. Scrap metal prices have tanked as of late so a salvage yard isn't the best option. I'd pull out all the stops to get the tranny working and sell it. It is the most lucrative option. I hate selling stuff myself so I know how you feel. You may be able to talk to someone at a repair shop that wouldn't mind fixing it and keeping it to sell for you at a reasonable commission. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

fearsomefour

Legend
I had an old Saturn Vue that had a salvage title and couldn't pass smog....I sold it in one day for what I was asking. There are plenty of people in the market for older cheap autos.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Have you thought about painting it and taking it on a road trip? :)

36341f8a-fcd3-4399-8fb6-83ed1370edb8-1024x768.jpeg

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
You most likely got a 4l60E transmission in that. It's the Spags of GM transmissions. it sucks. Had one in a pickup and it blew apart and it was never really abused. I replaced it with one out of a wreck myself and drove it a while then sold it before you know happened again. 150$ at pick and pull and 3 hours of my time.

Got A couple Questions, up to you if you want to ans.
Have you had it checked out as what most likely the problem is?
Does it only have reverse issues?
Did it get progressively worse or was it a one time sudden event?
Reason I ask these is in that and many new trans the shifting is controlled by solenoids. When you move the shift lever all you do is signal the solenoids to push or retract changing gears.
Who knows how many transmissions are replaced every year just cause people get scammed into thinking it needs a rebuild.

This isn't that expensive maybe less than 200$. maybe an hour labor. Really just a bit more complicated than changing fluid. Maybe a local mechanic on a slow day would cut you a deal on the labor.
You just have to weigh in the cost of selling it running or a parts ride.
Hope it helps you.