Cap will increase by $8 million to $10 million for each team per year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...cap-will-increase-by-8-million-to-10-million/

NFL to tell teams cap will increase by $8 million to $10 million
Posted by Mike Florio on December 11, 2016

On Wednesday, the league’s owners will meet in Dallas. And they’ll be told something that, if they’re reading this, they’ll already know.

Specifically, owners will be told the salary cap will increase by $8 million to $10 million per year, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Currently, the cap sits at $155 million per team.

In past years, the league has been accused of understating the expected growth of the cap. This dynamic often prompts teams to set their spending budgets based on lower numbers, which causes teams to spend less than they could.

Yes, there’s a four-year, per-team, 89-percent spending minimum. But that means each team can pocket up to 11 percent of the available spending allotment, each and every year. At $155 million, that’s $17 million in pure profit that can be diverted from player spending.

It becomes much easier to pocket profit if the teams are setting their budgets based on salary-cap projections that are lower than the spending limit actually will be.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I feel this is where the Rams have failed they have let good players go and not replaced them and have not really signed impact free agents. Britt and Hayes have been good, but they struck out on the offensive line with the likes of Scott Well and Jake Long, in which, they had to go young at offensive line and are still waiting for results.

Teams now have to be strong in both aspects of personnel not only college scouting, but pro player personnel as well and under this regime IMO, the Rams have failed miserably in this area.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
they struck out on the offensive line with the likes of Scott Wells and Jake Long

This is what's always puzzled me. Jake Long had a history of injuries in college and the pros. Still they signed him to a huge contract. Long played in 22 of 32 games with the Rams. What did they think would happen?

NFL Executive quote on his health: "Horrible. Was horrible before he signed in St. Louis. Mess."

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is what's always puzzled me. Jake Long had a history of injuries in college and the pros. Still they signed him to a huge contract. Long played in 22 of 32 games with the Rams. What did they think would happen?

NFL Executive quote on his health: "Horrible. Was horrible before he signed in St. Louis. Mess."
And yet with all our strike outs on older veteran lineman you'll still see topics weekly with people wanting to sign another free agent 30+ year old coming off an injury. We Rams fans love inflicting pain on ourselves.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel this is where the Rams have failed they have let good players go and not replaced them and have not really signed impact free agents. Britt and Hayes have been good, but they struck out on the offensive line with the likes of Scott Well and Jake Long, in which, they had to go young at offensive line and are still waiting for results.

Teams now have to be strong in both aspects of personnel not only college scouting, but pro player personnel as well and under this regime IMO, the Rams have failed miserably in this area.
IMO the problem with Fisher is he over pays for those free agents he likes. Perfect examples are Hayes and Cook and Finnegan.

Zodi

Hall of Fame

Member Drew Bennet? I member. Sadly.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
IMO the problem with Fisher is he over pays for those free agents he likes. Perfect examples are Hayes and Cook and Finnegan.
Well, to be fair, Fisher just says he wants them. Demoff overpays them. Kind of. The contracts he writes gives them an out due to being front-loaded. I do agree that Fisher would be better served to stay away from underachievers he's worked with in the past, but that's probably over now. There's nobody left for him to poach from the Titans. Unless he wants to try and get Jason McCourty or something.

tempests

Hall of Fame

In fairness, he was still playing at a high level before his first ACL tear. I'd venture he was the MVP of the offense in 2013 before he went down.

Shopping for FAs is like shopping for used cars. You have to assume some risk.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shopping for FAs is like shopping for used cars. You have to assume some risk.

If that car has worn tires, oil in the radiator, or white smoke coming out of the tailpipe, it's best not to buy it.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
More times than not it seems we overpay free agents who ultimately never pan out. I can only think of a handful who have actually provided some type of a return. Right now I don't see many free agents wanting to sign, especially if the same coaching staff in intact for 2017. Add to it the possibility of losing some key players because they want to play on a winning team. This upcoming off-season will be a very important one to say the least.

jap

Legend
The Horns will have to fix the front office first with impact coaching to ensure they retain their own guys and attract new impact players.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Total Cap Liabilities: $124,833,936
Offense: $59,273,023
Defense: $48,050,553
Special: $3,248,773

Team Salary Cap: $166,000,000
Team Cap Space: $41,166,064

Top 25 Players and their Contracts:
View attachment 17944

Q729

Legend
The Horns will have to fix the front office first with impact coaching to ensure they retain their own guys and attract new impact players.

And sadly, that's not the first time we've said that.