Cap & Roster Remodel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think the bloodletting is done. The Rams are under the cap now. Once Wagner's and Shelton's releases are finalized they will be about $1.9M under the cap. They will need about $10M more space to sign their draft class and leave the usual room for contingencies during the season. They can do that in various ways by simply not re-signing some of their FAs. There is a core of priority FA they will sign but A'Shawn Robinson, Rapp and Hill are probably not among them and will save them a lot of cap, enough to sign the core priority FAs like Gaines, Scott, Powell, Hoecht, and Copeland among others.

Depending upon how the Ramsey trade goes, they could eventually fill their priority roster holes in the draft. This is going to be a different roster. Leaner but that is not to say less capable. They would still be a playoff contender, and we have seen in their SB run that sometimes the luck of the draw is as important as where you finished, i.e. division winner or wildcard. Top wildcard is better than 3rd or 4th division champs. IMO this is what Snead was referring to regarding tempering expectations. Finishing in the top 2 of the divisions is obviously good, and finishing at the top of the wildcards is better than the bottom two of the divisions.

The media as usual has their heads on backward. For DaSilva to say QB2 isn't a concern is to ignore last season is laughable. Profootball Talk is all doom and gloom for the Rams. Don't fall prey to their propaganda BS. This time of year I tune out a whole lot of the media.

I see Snead keeping his first round picks in his wallet for next year. If they need a QB then he would have the capital to trade for one or move up in the draft. But we have seen McVay prefers vet QBs. I think all the roster moves were to be able to make Mayfield an offer of $7-$8M in 2003 to be a backup. If Mayfield is smart he will take it considering Stafford's health issues. Baker IMO now understands the value of being on a team that truly wants him. I doubt if anyone offers him more than $10M/year.

Personally my dream would be if the Rams could find a way to grab Penix next year. He's a first year starter who is already a fit for McVay's offense. Realistically Baker is their most realistic option.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think the bloodletting is done. The Rams are under the cap now. Once Wagner's and Shelton's releases are finalized they will be about $1.9M under the cap. They will need about $10M more space to sign their draft class and leave the usual room for contingencies during the season. They can do that in various ways by simply not re-signing some of their FAs. There is a core of priority FA they will sign but A'Shawn Robinson, Rapp and Hill are probably not among them and will save them a lot of cap, enough to sign the core priority FAs like Gaines, Scott, Powell, Hoecht, and Copeland among others.

Depending upon how the Ramsey trade goes, they could eventually fill their priority roster holes in the draft. This is going to be a different roster. Leaner but that is not to say less capable. They would still be a playoff contender, and we have seen in their SB run that sometimes the luck of the draw is as important as where you finished, i.e. division winner or wildcard. Top wildcard is better than 3rd or 4th division champs. IMO this is what Snead was referring to regarding tempering expectations. Finishing in the top 2 of the divisions is obviously good, and finishing at the top of the wildcards is better than the bottom two of the divisions.

The media as usual has their heads on backward. For DaSilva to say QB2 isn't a concern is to ignore last season is laughable. Profootball Talk is all doom and gloom for the Rams. Don't fall prey to their propaganda BS. This time of year I tune out a whole lot of the media.

I see Snead keeping his first round picks in his wallet for next year. If they need a QB then he would have the capital to trade for one or move up in the draft. But we have seen McVay prefers vet QBs. I think all the roster moves were to be able to make Mayfield an offer of $7-$8M in 2003 to be a backup. If Mayfield is smart he will take it considering Stafford's health issues. Baker IMO now understands the value of being on a team that truly wants him. I doubt if anyone offers him more than $10M/year.

Personally my dream would be if the Rams could find a way to grab Penix next year. He's a first year starter who is already a fit for McVay's offense. Realistically Baker is their most realistic option.
We’ll see. Les Snead talked VERY high about Baker.He also talked about 24 draft picks in the next 2 drafts.
Mcvay already knows some of the moves that have in place.He seems excited.Plus Snead had a grin & wants to talk about it,but has to keep it all sealed.

I like A’Robinson.I think Eric Henderson does as well. AD99 likes playing next to Gaines.

What the Shelton move ? I think Matt Skura will be on the roster 90.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But we have seen McVay prefers vet QBs.
Lol.
Backup QB's for McVay at the start of each season:

2017 Sean Mannion, career starts* 0
2018 Sean Mannion, career starts* 0
2019 Blake Bortles, career starts* 73
2020 John Wolford, career starts* 0
2021 John Wolford, career starts* 0
2022 John Wolford, career starts* 0
2022 Bryce Perkins, career starts* 0

* denotes starts prior to joining Rams

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Lol.

So you're saying I have a chance!

2023 Allen2McVay, career starts* O

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Lol.

Mike-White-NY-Jets-Interview-Draft.jpg

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
The overall plan seems to be to keep the core Offense intact for next season and using draft picks to fill out the Defense. I think the days of the Rams giving huge contracts to anyone but a pass rusher are over defensively. I think it's a thoughtful solid plan for 2023.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The overall plan seems to be to keep the core Offense intact for next season and using draft picks to fill out the Defense. I think the days of the Rams giving huge contracts to anyone but a pass rusher are over defensively. I think it's a thoughtful solid plan for 2023.

What happens to Nick Scott?
Do The Rams keep any of there FA’s.

TexasRam

Legend
Not trying to be a Debbie downer but realistically I don’t see a playoff level team in 2023 - Barring a historic A+ draft.

Realistically we are looking at a 2 year rebuild and run in 2024.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not trying to be a Debbie downer but realistically I don’t see a playoff level team in 2023 - Barring a historic A+ draft.

Realistically we are looking at a 2 year rebuild and run in 2024.

So long as they draft Kris Abrams-Draine and Ennis Rakestraw Jr. in 2024, I'd be happy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Both Tigers CB's? :laugh1:
Don't sell them short: they were among the best cornerback tandems in the nation, combining for 26 pass deflections (14 for KAD, 12 for Rakestraw). KAD was rarely tested because he's a flat-out ballhawk (former receiver and had three picks last year), so they threw to Rakestraw. Didn't have any luck there either.

KAD was rated as a Day 2 pick this year before pulling his name out. Not sure what Rakestraw would've been because he had an ACL tear in his second year as a true sophomore and had a redshirt year. KAD is a true senior; Rakestraw, a redshirt junior. They aren't the biggest corners, but they're excellent ballhawks.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
If we traded Ramsey for almost nothing, cut Floyd foralmost no cap relief, and let Wagner walk, all to get under the cap, only to use that cap space on Baker Mayfield, I'll lose it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agree, my position on drafting falls in line with this.

Primarily use the draft to get your BPA impact dynamic defenders. They usually have a much better chance to play than the offensive players. Much Salary cap $$$ is wasted on many offensive positions, waiting for them to develop....usually not till after their 4 yr contract is up.

I would direct most of my larger UFA $$$ contracts for veteran OL positions & pass rushers. When I think of pass rushers now they can be DT/DE/ER/OLB'ers.

I would hope this team can keep the team smoothly building on what has been learned by this Ram Org team since 2017.

Last edited:

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Agree, my position on drafting falls in line with this.

Primarily use the draft to get your BPA impact dynamic defenders. They usually have a much better chance to play than the offensive players. Much Salary cap $$$ is wasted on many offensive positions, waiting for them to develop....usually not till after their 4 yr contract is up.

I would direct most of my larger UFA $$$ contracts for veteran OL positions & pass rushers. When I think of pass rushers now they can be DT/DE/ER/OLB'ers. Make no sense to me.

I would hope this team can keep the team smoothly building on what has been learned by this Ram Org team since 2017.
I think it also allows us to reload in the draft in 2024 as well. Almost a two year cycle to get back in contention. I’d be interested in what AD99 wants to do

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I would direct most of my larger UFA $$$ contracts for veteran OL positions & pass rushers.

This :pointup:

For a change, I would like to see them prioritize building a really strong OL instead of just an adequate one. Given where Stafford is now, it would either lengthen his career or make it easier to break in a new QB if we had an OL full of studs instead of JAGs.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I sense some short-term deals for FA vets and maybe take a shot at a younger FA that has underperformed and is a good value.
This gets us through 23 and into a better position to make bigger deals.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we traded Ramsey for almost nothing, cut Floyd foralmost no cap relief, and let Wagner walk, all to get under the cap, only to use that cap space on Baker Mayfield, I'll lose it.
Well dont worry about that, I think people are going to be very surprised by what Mayfield signs for elsewhere.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
At this rate, just hope whoever we sign has an impact as our resources are still pretty limited with as many holes as we have to fill.