Can't wait to drink and drive...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
In a self-driven car, that is.

This stuff is way cool. The Benz people made a really cool point, saying that cars will eventually become more of a mobile living space—a place to chill out as you make your commute.

I'm sure everyone here knows someone who's been killed in a wreck. I can't wait for the day when I no longer have to worry every time my parents go on a long drive to STL or Columbia (they're in their mid-50's now, so the technology should be well available when they hit their 80s, which is when it will really benefit them).

And just imagine your daily commute... no more fighting traffic & being stressed out. You just sit back, listen to music, read, and maybe sip on a Guinness. How cool is that?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaa...otion-concept-vehicle-the-future-of-mobility/

By Alicia Adamczyk

Wearable tech and high-performance speakers weren’t the only gadgets on display at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week. Mercedes Benz stole the show with the unveiling of the F 015Luxury in Motion concept vehicle, a sleek, self-driving luxury car that will give Google’s forthcoming self-driving model a serious run for its money.

While the tech giant’s design looks more like a toy car than a useable vehicle, Mercedes-Benz was out to prove that it doesn’t take a tech company to produce an exemplary self-driving model. Just as the aesthetic advancements in wearable tech of late demonstrate, design can trump functionality – combine both assets, and the product is bound to do well.

To that end, Mercedes envisions cars of the future not just as means of transportation from point A to point B, but as “private retreats,” or lounges of sorts. The F 015 concept lets passengers relax, but still take the controls if they want to, all in an undeniably luxurious space. Google’s model appeals to the minimalist tech wiz, while the F 015 will be the preference of pretty much everyone else.

01-Mercedes-Benz-F-015-Luxury-in-Motion-1180x686-e1420647258641.jpg

“Anyone who focuses solely on the technology has not yet grasped how autonomous driving will change our society,” says Dr. Dieter Zetsche, CEO of Mercedes-Benz’s parent company Daimler AG. “The car is growing beyond its role as a mere means of transport and will ultimately become a mobile living space.”

The four-seat F 015 Luxury in Motion features a low-slung front end, smooth roof line and a flat front widescreen, giving the car a sleek, futuristic appearance (the 12-foot wheelbase is almost two feet longer than the S-Class, which gives the interior plenty of extra space). French doors unveil the open-pore walnut wood veneer and “ice-white” nappa leather seats interior of the cabin, accented with metal and glass surfaces for a stunning contrast of warmth and cool modernity.

06-Mercedes-Benz-F-015-Luxury-in-Motion-660x602.jpg

The interior of the F 015 is a “digital living space” with six display screens.

14C1540_232.jpg

Spacious interior

But the pièce de résistance of the interior is the chair design: the four lounge chairs can face forward normally if the driver wants control (the steering wheel will come out of storage from the dash), but generally the front two seats are swiveled to face the rear seats, creating a more intimate setting. Six display screens create a “digital living space,” giving passengers the ability to interact with the car through gestures or by touch.

On the self-driving front, there are LED displays on the front and rear of the model, as well as a laser projection system on the front, allowing the car to sense traffic and other obstacles around it (the displays glow white when the car is in manual mode and blue when in autonomous). Sounds and spoken instructions are also used to add an extra layer of acoustic safety.

14C1450_040-1940x1453.jpg

LED displays in the rear

According to Mercedes-Benz, the car’s electric hybrid system allows it to run just under 700 miles on purely electric power, with zero local emissions.

There’s no word on when such a car could actually come to fruition, but if the designs are any indication, the future of self-driving vehicles can’t come fast enough.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There is going to be a huge fight between these guys, the insurance companies, and auto body groups.

I'm interested in seeing where life and health insurance groups stand on the issue though. Oil groups may get into the fight too since these cars will likely be primarily alternative energy powered. The fight is going to be huge though, the winners will probably determine the direction of the U.S.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I don't know if I could trust that entirely. What if the computer goes out. Are you just along for a wild, reckless drive? Then again, there are so many TERRIBLE drivers (especially in Texas) that I would guarantee accidents would be cut down tremendously.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I cant wait for this technology too!
Because there are too many fucking idiots on the road that cant drive for shit!

StevenG-BR

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is going to be a huge fight between these guys, the insurance companies, and auto body groups.

I'm interested in seeing where life and health insurance groups stand on the issue though. Oil groups may get into the fight too since these cars will likely be primarily alternative energy powered. The fight is going to be huge though, the winners will probably determine the direction of the U.S.

Who knows, but I'm not sure auto insurance companies will care all that much. Insurance will still be required, yet they'll hardly ever have to pay anything out. Sounds like the lottery for them actually.

My dad is a VP of a branch of a pretty big auto insurance company. I haven't asked him about it, but I know he's a tech fan and thinks the self-driven Google cars are awesome. Doesn't seem concerned.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know if I could trust that entirely. What if the computer goes out. Are you just along for a wild, reckless drive? Then again, there are so many TERRIBLE drivers (especially in Texas) that I would guarantee accidents would be cut down tremendously.

I've though of that too, but I don't know if it warrants concern. Computers seems to be pretty reliable in machines these days. Many cars already have computers in them, and I never really hear stories of the computers shutting down in the middle of a trip.

I think the non-computer concerns—blowing a tire, hitting a patch of ice—are probably more concerning. It seems pretty dangerous not to have human instincts kick in and take control of those situations. But maybe the computers can be programmed to handle those issues... I mean, they already have cars that parallel park on their own. Who knows...the computers might be able to respond BETTER than humans.

bluecoconuts

Legend

They've been testing them in California a bit, and making drives to Vegas and LA. So far of the thousands of miles they've tested them only two have crashed, and both were when humans were operating it opposed to the computer. More testing is stil needed, but its very promising.

Who knows, but I'm not sure auto insurance companies will care all that much. Insurance will still be required, yet they'll hardly ever have to pay anything out. Sounds like the lottery for them actually.

My dad is a VP of a branch of a pretty big auto insurance company. I haven't asked him about it, but I know he's a tech fan and thinks the self-driven Google cars are awesome. Doesn't seem concerned.

I know that Farmers took a shot in their commercials against robotic drivers. When enough get automatic drivers there really won't be a need for insurance, or at least not at the rates they are now. They would need to be much cheaper, and the manufacturers who make the cars will likely ask the government to give huge discounts as incentive to buy them. Similar to hybrids and electric cars getting HOV lane passes.

Autobody groups will obviously lose money if there are less collisions, and it could throw health services off due to more people being alive, there will be a population spike from the lack of deaths. The ramifications are huge, makes it all the more cool.

I'm excited for them though, I just wish I had tons of money to throw down on one when they do become available.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If the computer goes out, it'll probably switch to backup power (mechanical only) and slowly stop. That's what happens to today's microprocessor programmable logic elevators.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm sure it will create an entire new set of problems and costs to the consumer to replace the ones the technology fixed. Things like the strain on the power grid from people charging their rides, the cost of replacing the batteries and what to do with the mountain of acid oozing dead batteries and the new style of litigation when two remote control vehicles do crash into each other. I'm sure we'll iron it all out but the EPA will have to grow up a lot.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I've though of that too, but I don't know if it warrants concern. Computers seems to be pretty reliable in machines these days. Many cars already have computers in them, and I never really hear stories of the computers shutting down in the middle of a trip.

I think the non-computer concerns—blowing a tire, hitting a patch of ice—are probably more concerning. It seems pretty dangerous not to have human instincts kick in and take control of those situations. But maybe the computers can be programmed to handle those issues... I mean, they already have cars that parallel park on their own. Who knows...the computers might be able to respond BETTER than humans.
Lol looks at the common human instinct to blown tire or inclement weather most times just have to look I to a ditch

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm sure it will create an entire new set of problems and costs to the consumer to replace the ones the technology fixed. Things like the strain on the power grid from people charging their rides, the cost of replacing the batteries and what to do with the mountain of acid oozing dead batteries and the new style of litigation when two remote control vehicles do crash into each other. I'm sure we'll iron it all out but the EPA will have to grow up a lot.
My sis just had a battery replaced in a Prius under warranty , would have cost $3700 to do it had it been OOW. A battery that expensive will doubtless be reconditioned like fork lift batteries are

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
My sis just had a battery replaced in a Prius under warranty , would have cost $3700 to do it had it been OOW. A battery that expensive will doubtless be reconditioned like fork lift batteries are
$3700? What a deal for the consumer. Kinda kills the ROI on buying a Prius doesn't it? I'm sure there will be a boom for the battery refurbish gurus for the ones that can be refurbished. I bet the core charges on those babies will be hefty also.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Holy Shit. $3700!

My neighbor has a very feminine blue Prius. He is the absolute cheapest sob that I've ever known... I can almost bet that he has no idea about the cost of those batteries.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna find a way to share this tid bit with him over the weekend. Hahahahahahahaha

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Holy crap. $3700!

My neighbor has a very feminine blue Prius. He is the absolute cheapest sob that I've ever known... I can almost bet that he has no idea about the cost of those batteries.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna find a way to share this tid bit with him over the weekend. Hahahahahahahaha

Yeah at $2 a gallon for gas that's 1850 gallons the battery has to save you to break even ,by my figuring a hybrid saves about 10 miles per gallon so you are talking 185,000 miles that battery has to last, I think the new ones come with about 100K warranty ,as the robot says in Lost in Space "that does not compute".
I'd say the market for hybrids is pretty soft right now and dealers might be willing to deal and manufacturers desperate to maintain fleet mileage requirements give substantial incentives.
Don't KNOW that but it seems logical to moi.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
P-off someone at Google and u conveniently get driven off a cliff :(

A55VA6

Legend
This shit looks like it comes from the year 3025. lol

I don't know if I would trust a self driving car. I'm that kind of person that needs to be in control of the vehicle to feel safe. lol

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
P-off someone at Google and u conveniently get driven off a cliff :(
Now man you can do better than that Strange', think big the gubmint hacks into google or requires access and then they control and "approve "
all your destinations .