Canada eliminates penny

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Canada officials have made the cost-cutting decision to start phasing out their penny -- could Abe Lincoln be next?

The Royal Canadian Mint on Monday officially ended its distribution of pennies to financial institutions, citing production costs now exceeding their monetary value.

The United States has wrestled with a similar problem in recent decades.

The U.S. Mint reported last year that each penny costs the federal government 2 cents, which includes the price of production, transportation and the rising cost of zinc, the one-cent coin’s main ingredient. The price is down from 2.4 cents per coin as a result of more efficient production efforts, officials said Monday.

The estimated cost in Canada was 1.6 cents per penny.

Former Rep. Jim Kolbe unsuccessfully tried in 2001 and 2006 to eliminate the penny by congressional action. That idea could have new momentum now that fiscal conservatives in Congress are looking for ways large and small to cut federal spending.

“Right, left or center, all parties know that the country needs to save as much money as possible,” the group Retire the Penny says on its website. “And it’s impossible to save money when it’s being wasted.”

However, a House Budget Committee spokesman said the panel is not considered such a proposal, and he is not aware of one in another House committee.

The most recent available estimate shows producing the penny costs the U.S. mint roughly $44 million annually.

And a new proposal to discontinue the penny would likely follow Kolbe's and Canada’s concept of rounding up prices to the nearest nickel for cash transactions. That would increase the cost of goods and services, which would also boost sales taxes. Electronic sales will remain unchanged.

Other countries have already dropped the penny, including Australia, Finland, New Zealand, Norway, the Netherlands and Sweden.

Canada still has roughly 35 billion pennies in circulation so they likely will remain in circulation for several years, going one by one into a foundry to be melted down and their metal recycled.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/04/canada-cuts-costs-by-eliminating-penny-while-us-clings-to-costly-coin/?test=latestnews#ixzz2JyjRNdXL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02 ... z2JyjRNdXL</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's how it works at the checkout;

The 2012 federal budget states: "The government expects that businesses will apply rounding for cash transactions in a fair and transparent manner."

The rounding will not be done on single items but on the total bill of sale. If the price ends in a one, two, six, or seven it gets rounded down to 0 or 5; and rounded up if it ends in three, four, eight or nine.

Businesses will not need to adjust their cash registers.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think the United States should ditch the penny.

I also think that we need to change up our dollars. I know a lot of people flip out over the thought of it, but I think a total design overhaul would benefit. Also make them different sizes for different denominations, it makes it easier to tell what you got without looking, and benefits the blind.

I've seen some pretty cool designs for updated currency. My favorite is currently this design.

2ql67fs.jpg

I just don't know if we'll ever update our money though. Especially now with many Republicans even more resistant to change.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good. I was sick of your stupid penny getting mixed in with my pennies. :razzed:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Canada: It makes sense, well we should do it.

America: I makes sense, well we should think about it for 80 more fucking years till it doesn't even matter.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
I think the United States should ditch the penny.

I also think that we need to change up our dollars. I know a lot of people flip out over the thought of it, but I think a total design overhaul would benefit. Also make them different sizes for different denominations, it makes it easier to tell what you got without looking, and benefits the blind.

I've seen some pretty cool designs for updated currency. My favorite is currently this design.

2ql67fs.jpg

I just don't know if we'll ever update our money though. Especially now with many Republicans even more resistant to change.

That is a cool design.

I never thought about it, or had any trouble with it... but I have worked with a lot of people from different countries and they say all the time "all of American money looks the same". Again, I never thought of it, but to an outsider it must be true.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
bluecoconuts said:

And to think... we just spent how much money redesigning the penny? Must also be the Republicans' fault. After all, they ARE in charge... Oh wait!

Sorry - just couldn't let that pass.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Actually they are. The House handles money.

And you cannot deny they are more resistant to change. It's in their name.